Professional Web Applications Themes

Viewing Adobe PDF doents in a VB .Net windows application - Adobe Acrobat SDK

Hi, In order to open and view a PDF doent in a VB .Net windows application what libraries are needed? I have Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0.5 installed and within Visual Studio .Net 2003 I have added a number of references to the project for adobe/acrobat: Acrobat Access 3.0 Type Library Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Browser Control Type Library 1.0 Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Type Library PDFShellServer 1.0 Type Library Do any of these provide the functionality to open and view PDF doents in VB .Net or would I need to purchase extra? Is there any doentation that explains how to do this ...

  1. #1

    Default Viewing Adobe PDF doents in a VB .Net windows application

    Hi,

    In order to open and view a PDF doent in a VB .Net windows application what libraries are needed?

    I have Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0.5 installed and within Visual Studio .Net 2003 I have added a number of references to the project for adobe/acrobat:

    Acrobat Access 3.0 Type Library
    Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Browser Control Type Library 1.0
    Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Type Library
    PDFShellServer 1.0 Type Library

    Do any of these provide the functionality to open and view PDF doents in VB .Net or would I need to purchase extra?

    Is there any doentation that explains how to do this kind of thing?

    Thanks

    Matt
    Matt_Fothergill@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Only Acrobat 7.0 Type Library is needed

    Hallo@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Look at Adobe's IACReference.PDF
    chicks@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Hi,

    Thanks for the replies. The IACReference.pdf explains the methods and properties but doesn't seem to have any code examples of how to open and view PDF doents in a VB .Net application. Is there anywhere I can find examples?

  5. #5

    Is there anywhere I can find examples?

    In the Acrobat SDK.
    Bernd Alheit Guest

  6. #6

    Hi,

    When i try to do CreateObject("...") I get an error: "Cannot create ActiveX component".

    Any ideas on why this is happening and how to correct it?

  7. #7

    When i try to do CreateObject("...") I get an error: "Cannot create ActiveX
    component"

    "..."?
    Bernd Alheit Guest

  8. #8

    Sorry, here's the code - gApp = CreateObject("AcroExch.App")
    gPDDoc = CreateObject("AcroExch.PDDoc")
    Matt_Fothergill@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    This requires a installation of Adobe Acrobat, not Adobe Reader.
    Bernd Alheit Guest

  10. #10

    What i'm trying to do is display a multiple page pdf in a VB.Net form (embed the adobe reader in the form) so that the user can browse the doent while completing a checklist on the other half of the form. Is it not possible to do this with the FREE adobe reader 7.0.5 installed?

  11. #11

    Look at the sample AcrobatActiveXVB in the Acrobat SDK.
    Bernd Alheit Guest

  12. #12

    It should be possible to use the free Reader, if you only want to open and print pdf files.

    I have been using the Adobe Acrobat ActiveX (COM) with VB.
    (Menu: Project / Add Reference / COM tab / select "Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Browser Control Type Library 1.0" ). You then drag it from the Toolbox to your form. You then have access to code commands to size it, make it visible (or not) and to Load pdf files. You can display the file within a window on your form (Load). You can also copy/paste text from the pdf file to the other form elements.

    I have tried various combinations of Reader or Pro on VB6 or VB2005-NET. For Reading and Printing it seems to work well. The Pro and SDK kits will allow more functions, but you do not apparently need them.
    Michael_Marden@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Hi,

    Where could I download the Acrobat SDK version 7.0.5. I tried the link available under "Downloads...", but when I goto the actual download page, it says "unauthorised access". But I have registered myself as a adobe user.

    Please help me to work my way out in downloading Acrobat SDK.

    Thanks
    Raja
    Rajaraman_Ramasamy@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Have you paid to join ASN, or paid for an SDK subscription? If not the
    entire SDK download is not available to you, though smany single
    doents are.

    Aandi Inston
    Aandi_Inston@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Hi Aandi,

    We are using Acrobat version 7.0.5. Say if I purchase ASN now, will the future version upgrades come free to me... or do I need to purchase some kind of upgrade licence?

  16. #16

    If you join ASN, there is an annual membership fee.
    I don't know the arrangement for the $99 fee, but it is described as
    "subscription" suggesting it has a limited life.