Professional Web Applications Themes

Viewing Raw files - Photography

Hi all, what's good sotftware for viewing and editing raw files? Joe...

  1. #1

    Default Viewing Raw files

    Hi all,
    what's good sotftware for viewing and editing raw files?

    Joe
    stator Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Viewing Raw files

    Here are two...

    The Adobe Photoshop family.

    Paint Shop Pro.

    --
    Dave

    "stator" <com> wrote in message
    | Hi all,
    | what's good sotftware for viewing and editing raw files?
    |
    | Joe

    David Guest

  3. #3

    >Here are two...

    Thanks Dave,
    I have photoshop but I think it needs a plugin for raw files.
    In any case, photoshop doesn't recognise the raw file.

    Joe

    stator Guest

  4. #4

    stator wrote:

    > Thanks Dave,
    > I have photoshop but I think it needs a plugin for raw files.
    > In any case, photoshop doesn't recognise the raw file.
    >
    > Joe[/ref]

    Yes you'll need to go to the adobe web site & download the appropriate
    plugin. No guarantees it'll work for your version of PS or to what
    extent but the newest version is really an excellent RAW conversion utility.
    paul Guest

  5. #5

    That's why I stated the Photoshop family. There are so many versions and variations it is
    hard to keep track of.

    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

    --
    Dave

    "stator" <com> wrote in message
    | >Here are two...
    | >The Adobe Photoshop family.
    | >Paint Shop Pro.
    |
    | Thanks Dave,
    | I have photoshop but I think it needs a plugin for raw files.
    | In any case, photoshop doesn't recognise the raw file.
    |
    | Joe

    David Guest

  6. #6

    stator <com> writes:

    There are quite a few RAW converters (bibble, C1, ACR are names I've seen in
    addition to photoshop). Often times the manufacturer also provides some free
    software to view and convert RAW files.

    On the free software side of things, GIMP and the plugin UFRaw (based on the
    dcraw program) can handle many different types of RAW files:

    http://www.gimp.org
    http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: org

  7. #7

    Hi,

    Thanks for all the good information here about Camera RAW.

    I use PS 8 and PSE 3 to work with RAW files (from Fuji S7000 camera) o
    my Mac. Mac users may also open RAW files with Graphic Converte
    program.

    Current MacWorld magazine (March 2005) has good article on RAW by Bruc
    Fraser. For excerpt of his book goto:

    find.macworld.com/0216

    Best,

    Conrad
    :

    --
    Conrad
    Conrad Guest

  8. #8

    Conrad wrote:

    http://www.macworld.com/2005/01/downloads/cameraraw.pdf
    paul Guest

  9. #9

    paul wrote:

    > http://www.macworld.com/2005/01/downloads/cameraraw.pdf[/ref]

    Awfully slow loading, be patient.

    "With digital captures, darkening is a much safer operation than
    lightening, since darkening forces more bits into the shadows, where our
    eyes are sensitive, while lightening takes the relatively small number
    of captured bits that describe the shadow information and spreads them
    across a wider tonal range, exaggerating noise and increasing the
    likelihood of posterization. With digital, you need to turn the old rule
    upside down—you need to expose for the highlights, and develop for the
    shadows!"
    paul Guest

  10. #10

    Conrad wrote:
    And, as of iLife '05, in iPhoto. I just did so to see if it would handle
    20 D RAW files, and it did.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John Guest

  11. #11

    paul wrote:

    > http://www.macworld.com/2005/01/downloads/cameraraw.pdf[/ref]

    another quote:

    "The Brightness and Contrast controls affect the rendering tone curve
    controlling the conversion from linear-gamma ProPhoto RGB to the final
    gamma-corrected output space. They work completely differently from
    the Photoshop controls that share their names—Photoshop’s Contrast
    and Brightness. They behave similarly to Photoshop’s Levels and Curves,
    respectively (Brightness is a gamma adjustment, Contrast is an S-curve)
    but with one important difference. The Camera Raw controls use an
    algorithm that preserves the original hue, whereas hard curve
    adjustments to the composite RGB curve in Photoshop can cause slight hue
    shifts."
    paul Guest

  12. #12

    John McWilliams <net> wrote:

    > And, as of iLife '05, in iPhoto. I just did so to see if it would handle
    > 20 D RAW files, and it did.[/ref]

    iPhoto 5 converts the RAW files to jpeg, and then only lets you
    manipulate the jpeg. If you tell it to open the image in an external
    editor, it will send the *jpeg* to the editor, rather than the RAW file.

    It's better than not handling RAW at all, but still not a professional
    solution.

    For that: iView MediaPro. It does what you'd expect. :-)

    Mac OS X users can compile dcraw and use it straight up. There are also
    some GUI wrappers for dcraw, including dcraw-x
    <http://www.frostyplace.com/dcraw/> and RAW Developer
    <http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/>.
    Paul Guest

  13. #13

    Paul Mitchum wrote: [/ref]
    for all the good information here about Camera RAW.

    >>And, as of iLife '05, in iPhoto. I just did so to see if it would handle
    >>20 D RAW files, and it did.[/ref]
    >

    > iPhoto 5 converts the RAW files to jpeg, and then only lets you
    > manipulate the jpeg. If you tell it to open the image in an external
    > editor, it will send the *jpeg* to the editor, rather than the RAW file.
    >[/ref]
    Good distinction to make. I don't know how, or if, I will use iPhoto in
    the future, besides creating albums for viewing on mac.com, and then
    it'd be likely that I'd have already done any editing in PS prior to
    putting them into iPhoto.

    I am very happy with the PS CS RAW plugin, and one day I will try again
    with C Pro.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John Guest

  14. #14

    In message <net>,
    paul <net> wrote:

    >Awfully slow loading, be patient.
    >
    >"With digital captures, darkening is a much safer operation than
    >lightening, since darkening forces more bits into the shadows, where our
    >eyes are sensitive, while lightening takes the relatively small number
    >of captured bits that describe the shadow information and spreads them
    >across a wider tonal range, exaggerating noise and increasing the
    >likelihood of posterization. With digital, you need to turn the old rule
    >upside down—you need to expose for the highlights, and develop for the
    >shadows!"[/ref]

    The voice of reason, coming from a magazine, of all places!

    There is still hope!
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <komm>

  15. #15

    Hi,

    The article about handling RAW files in MacWorld (March '05) was
    written by Bruce Fraser. It is excerpted from his Peachpit Press book
    on the same subject. I've ordered the book after reading chapter 2
    on-line.

    www.find.macworld.com/0216

    Best,

    Conrad :)