Professional Web Applications Themes

ViewSonic Monitors? Size also? - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I am considering a new larger monitor,perhaps ViewSonic 17" or 19". I am using old 15" ViewSonic. Any advice is welcome regarding product or size. I don't even know if larger size actually will give me more workspace...not having any experience using a larger screen???? It is because of PSE2 that I think a larger screen could be a plus. Currently using PC-98 second edition...and will replace this computer next Spring if it lasts that long! Do Brinkmann...

  1. #1

    Default ViewSonic Monitors? Size also?

    Do_Brinkmann@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    I like ViewSonics. That's what we used at a former employer. We did printed
    circuit board design. But there is another factor that can/will make a
    difference - your graphics card. Think of it like having a lovely photograph
    but a crappy printer.

    I use a 19" monitor and I'd never go smaller. I have workspace coming out of
    my ears (or would that be eyes?)! I love it. I can view entire word
    doents and I can still read them. I can enlarge a picture for editing and
    still be able to see enough around it to make sure it looks right.

    Do yourself a favor - look at a good graphics card, plenty of memory and as
    large a monitor as you can afford, even if you have to buy a new desk.

    JoAnn_Amerson@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: ViewSonic Monitors? Size also?

    Hi Do,

    I'm with JoAnn on the 19 incher, if it's in the budget.

    What is going to give you extra real estate, though, is the resolution that you can run the monitor at, and the resulting refresh rate.

    Both of these, resolution and refresh rate, are going to be the result of your video card working in tandem with the monitor. Generally you don't want the refresh rate to fall below about 75Hz (75 times per second) regardless of the resolution. If it gets down around 60Hz, you're going to see flicker and it can get hard on the eyes very quickly. Many cheaper monitors in the 17" and 19" will run at high resolutions (17" at 1280 x 1024 pixels or 19" at 1600 x 1200) only at a low refresh rate, so you'd want to run them at 1024 x 760 and 1280 x 1024 respectively to try and get the refresh rate up to 75Hz to 85Hz. Also, the video card is going to need more memory in order to manipulate all these pixels so I'd go with a minimum 32MByte card, and preferably a 64MByte or 128MByte card.

    I've got a NEC 95F, 19" flat CRT and a 64MByte video card and get 1600 x 1200 pixels at 75Hz refresh. Lots of real estate!

    HTH
    Kyle
    Kyle_White@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I'm currently at my fourth ViewSonic monitor, so you can't go wrong with them Dorothy :-)
    Lately I've switched from CRT to LCD and I stayed with ViewSonic. Make sure to check the available
    space on your desk for a 19" monitor. Those beauties are big, very big.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  5. #5

    Thank you JoAnn, Kyle and Ray for your answers. Another question... When you have a bigger monitor do you need more ram? You can tell I'm a real whiz at computers!!!
    Do_Brinkmann@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Dorothy,

    It's been pointed out by someone in this thread that you should check your video display adapter
    (video card) for compatibility. You need to make sure your card can refresh fast enough at, say
    1280 x 1024. That is, if you choose to set your current desktop at a different resolution. If you
    like what you currently see, then no need to change (things will only be bigger at 19" than they are
    now). If, however, you want more space to work (I suppose you do), then you're going to change the
    resolution to something higher.

    This is when you'll need to check your video card. Some card will not refresh the screen at the
    same rate at all resolutions. Some will do 100Hz at 1024 x 768, but will do 70Hz at 1280x1024.
    Someone suggested 75Hz, but some people, like me, have eyes sensible to flickering (the scanning of
    lines in the monitor to construct the image) and at this rate, I get a lot of eye incomfort and
    fatigue. I prefer 85Hz or 100Hz when possible. My computer at work runs at 100Hz and since then,
    my eye fatigue has been lowered a great deal.

    So, it's not as much a question of RAM, but a question of video card. If you have it, read the
    manual of your card or computer, and check out what's the highest resolution it supports, and at
    what refresh rate it will do it. If it's 70Hz or lower, it will be time to change the video card.
    ATI makes good ones, so does NVidia or Matrox. I currently have an ATI Radeon 7500 and I'm really
    satisfied with it. It allows me to play games and work on regular stuff with no slowdown.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  7. #7

    Hi again,

    You don't need more system RAM to support the higher resolutions, but it may be a limitation of your video card if it doesn't have much memory on it. (Two different types of RAM involved in this - system and video.)

    But, like closets and garages, you probably always want more system RAM and hard drive space!!! ;-)

    And Ray has the sense of it. I run my 19" at home at 1600x1200/75Hz and don't have any problems, on an older system, (3 or 4 years) with a 19" monitor, at work I run it at 1280x1024/85Hz because even at 75Hz, with the ambient lighting conditions, the flicker was noticable.

  8. #8

    Ray, look at it from the bright side. As soon as you notice the flickering fatigues your eyes it is time for a coffee break to prevent RSI.

    Leen
    Leen_Koper@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Leen,

    You're right. 5 minutes every hour. But since my functions have changed, at work, I may now just
    turn and do some ysis stuff instead of actually taking a break. (My boss just loves this!)

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  10. #10

    I have a Viewsonic 19" A90f+. It runs great with my Mac Powerbook 12" G4. The support for the monitor was built-in. I did not need the supplied CD ROM. YMMV. It is listed as a Consumer Reports top choice. I got it at Best Buy for around $230. Get the in-store warranty, though. I had to send the first one back because it developed focus problems. Viewsonic replaced it without cost, but I had to be without it for a couple of weeks while it was being shipped.

    Steve
    Stephen_C._Smith@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Does YMMV means "Your Milleage May Vary" ?
    Sorry to ask, my language isn't English... thanks!

    Ray Guest

  12. #12

    Hi Ray,

    Yup, YMMV=Your Mileage May Vary

  13. #13

    Thanks again to Kyle and Ray...I have printed the info you sent me and will see if I can digest it! Also thanks for reminder about size of the 19", Ray.

    Also Steve I am glad to hear from you...and that is the model I am considering...A90f+. glad to hear you are doing well with yours. The replacement was great, but disgusting too when you had to do without monitor for that long. Do
    Do_Brinkmann@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Ray,

    Yeah..sorry. Internet shorthand...

    Do: The A90f+ is huge sitting an arm's length away. I am using it at Viewsonic's recommended setting of 1280 x 960 75 Hz. I'm really glad I got a bigger monitor for use at home. The 12" lcd is fine for traveling and toting to work.

  15. #15

    I have a 4 year old ViewSonic 17 inch monitor, and it has been the best monitor I have ever had.
    I keep thinking that I would like to go up to a larger one, or a LCD. Just haven't done it yet, nor have I gotten a new Mac...
    But if you were to get a new one, GO ViewSonic. (And Mac).
    I have had very good luck with these quality products, and even tho I *want* new stuff, I don't need it yet.

    Can't say that out loud as Christmas isn't that far away,,,,,,,
    Jane
    Jane_Carter@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    I also have a ViewSonic A90f+. They didn't have a Sony 19" in and said this would be even better. Seems Sony has taken a back seat in my photo world. I don't think any larger monitor would be necessary but this 19 is a lot better than my 17".
    Marty
    Marty_Landolt@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    Hi Marty and Jane...thanks for the encouragement on getting the 19" ViewSonic as you both described. I will probably order from Office Depot next week...will be delivered to my door by Office Depot and I hope by tipping the guy amply he will bring it down to where my computer is! Understand it is a 50# or so monitor! More than I can handle anyway.

    A Microsoft representative is directing the meeting of a somewhat local computer users group next week...interested to see what he has to say about XP second edition if there is such a thing coming up soon. I am still 98 sec. ed. and need to get a new computer. Someone told me to wait until March or April to get if it comes out at end of this year...let them get the bugs somewhat cleared up. Anyone have an opinion on this????? Do
    Do_Brinkmann@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    One of our 19" monitors (Keith's) weighs closer to 60 pounds. Since my
    husband has a bad back, I bribed a co-worker to get him to take Keith's out
    of the box and position it on the desk. AND to take my 19" monitor off of
    that same desk (in the basement) and put it on my desk (on the second
    floor). All that for a plate of roast beef, potatoes, and carrots. He thinks
    he got the better deal. :-)

  19. #19

    Dorothy,

    Windows XP will be around for at least another year, if not more. Next version is expected only in
    2005, last time I checked.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  20. #20

    JoAnn,

    I'm positive he got a better deal !!!!! What's 60lbs of plastic, metal and electronics compared to
    a delicately cooked, tender and juicy plate of beef and potatoes.. !!!! :)

    Ray

    Ray Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast