Professional Web Applications Themes

Viewstate Corrupt error message after "Worker Process" recycling - ASP.NET General

Hi There, I have a small ASP.NET application under development. I am using VS.NET 2002 (2003 upgrade is on the way) with .NET Framework 1.1. It is hosted on a web hosting service in the US. I am experiencing the "Viewstate corrupted" error message on a particular page, when that page is left for a period of time and I return to it again, and submit it again. The page in question has a drop-down list of various RSS news feeds I am interested in, so I'll often look at a set of news articles, read one and return to ...

  1. #1

    Default Viewstate Corrupt error message after "Worker Process" recycling

    Hi There,

    I have a small ASP.NET application under development. I am using VS.NET 2002
    (2003 upgrade is on the way) with .NET Framework 1.1. It is hosted on a web
    hosting service in the US. I am experiencing the "Viewstate corrupted" error
    message on a particular page, when that page is left for a period of time
    and I return to it again, and submit it again. The page in question has a
    drop-down list of various RSS news feeds I am interested in, so I'll often
    look at a set of news articles, read one and return to my page and choose
    another RSS feed.

    I have been informed by my web hosting organisation that the problem is
    caused by "worker process recycling". That is, to minimise resources after a
    period of inactivity, the worker process servicing requests for my web site
    is
    re-used.

    Does this sound plausible? Many of the other explanations regarding
    synchronised machine keys in machine.config files sound much more likely to
    me.

    Also, even if this were the case, why would the servicing of a subsequent
    request by a different worker process consider the client-side persisted
    viewstate to be corrupt? That's the bit I just don't understand.

    Regards,
    Trevor Andrew

    Trevor Andrew Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Viewstate Corrupt error message after "Worker Process" recycling on Windows 2003

    Hi Justin,

    Thanks for that ... I understand that viewstate is encoded, and the bits
    that are persisted on the server side are the machine keys to perform this
    encoding. But isn't that all that is persisted server side? Surely none of
    the web form related viewstate data is persisted server side?

    Regards,
    Trevor Andrew

    Trevor Andrew Guest

  3. #3

    Trevor,

    Yes, I believe that is correct.

    --

    > Hi Justin,
    >
    > Thanks for that ... I understand that viewstate is encoded, and the bits
    > that are persisted on the server side are the machine keys to perform this
    > encoding. But isn't that all that is persisted server side? Surely none of
    > the web form related viewstate data is persisted server side?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Trevor Andrew
    >

    > "S. Justin Gengo" <sjgengoaboutfortunate.com> wrote in message
    > > I don't believe the entire view state is persisted. But part of the view
    > > state is persisted server side. Let me see if I can explain this
    > clearly...
    > >
    > > For security reasons the view state is encoded. Part of the encoding
    > process
    > > is kept server side and is used to compare a submitted view state with
    the
    > > part kept on the server. This makes it very difficult for someone to
    > > impersonate a page post back sending false data in the viewstate.
    > >
    > > --
    > > S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    > > Web Developer
    > >
    > > Free code library at:
    > > [url]www.aboutfortunate.com[/url]
    > >
    > > "Out of chaos comes order."
    > > Nietzche
    > > "Trevor Andrew" <nntptassoc.com.au> wrote in message
    > > > Hi There,
    > > >
    > > > By way of further clarification, I have been told by my web hosting
    > > company
    > > > that:
    > > >
    > > > a. Viewstate IS persisted on the server, and hence this is where the
    > > problem
    > > > arises.
    > > > b. This is only an issue with Windows 2003, which they are now
    running.
    > > > c. There is no way to stop ASP.NET persisting a copy of viewstate on
    the
    > > > server.
    > > >
    > > > Not wishing to sound sceptical, but points a) and c) above really
    puzzle
    > > me.
    > > > I thought that Viewstate (as opposed to session state) was most
    > definitely
    > > > only a client side form of persistence. Can someone confirm one way or
    > the
    > > > other?
    > > >
    > > > Regards,
    > > > Trevor Andrew
    > > >
    > > > "Trevor Andrew" <nntptassoc.com.au> wrote in message

    > VS.NET
    > > > 2002
    > > > web
    > > > error