Professional Web Applications Themes

virtual memory error - will not go away - Macromedia Director Basics

I'm getting the error that has been mentioned a few times here (maybe more.) It's the pop-up that says "This program requires at least 3 MB of free virtual memory to run" witrh "Director Player 5.0" as the error title. I have tried setting my virtual memory to below 500 MB, I have tried setting it to 0 MB, that hasn't made the pop-up go away. It remains on screen, unless I click the OK button, in which case it will return within 15 seconds. I don't even know what program would be using 5.0, since it is old, and ...

  1. #1

    Default virtual memory error - will not go away

    I'm getting the error that has been mentioned a few times here (maybe more.) It's the pop-up that says "This program requires at least 3 MB of free virtual memory to run" witrh "Director Player 5.0" as the error title.

    I have tried setting my virtual memory to below 500 MB, I have tried setting it to 0 MB, that hasn't made the pop-up go away. It remains on screen, unless I click the OK button, in which case it will return within 15 seconds.

    I don't even know what program would be using 5.0, since it is old, and nothing seems to show up in the Task Manager related to it.

    Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this thing, finally? thanks in advance.

    hateclowns webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: virtual memory error - will not go away

    Would be useful if tell us when does this error comes up... is it when you
    execute Director? when you execute a projector? suddenly?? which version of
    Director are you using?

    Arturo

    "hateclowns" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > I'm getting the error that has been mentioned a few times here (maybe
    more.) It's the pop-up that says "This program requires at least 3 MB of
    free virtual memory to run" witrh "Director Player 5.0" as the error title.

    > I have tried setting my virtual memory to below 500 MB, I have tried
    setting it to 0 MB, that hasn't made the pop-up go away. It remains on
    screen, unless I click the OK button, in which case it will return within 15
    seconds.

    > I don't even know what program would be using 5.0, since it is old, and
    nothing seems to show up in the Task Manager related to it.

    > Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this thing, finally? thanks in
    advance.

    Arturo Toledo Guest

  3. #3

    I've never actually installed Director. I don't know how it got installed; I'm assuming with either Flash or Shockwave, because those are the only Macromedia products that I installed on my computer.

    The pop-up comes ALL THE TIME, no matter what. Immediately after booting into Windows, it pops up. When I click it, it goes away, then reappears shortly after, maybe ten-fifteen seconds.

    I can only assume that it came with another program installed, but I have uninstalled and reinstalled Flash and Shockwave, and the pop up still remains.

    hateclowns webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    Hi!

    Well that´s certainly not common. See, we are currently in Director version
    MX, that´s 4 versions above version 5 which was around 1995 - 1997. There
    might be a director projector in some windows registry. As you said It
    might be a Shockwave file requiring the old Director 5 plugin...

    I´ll take a look to see what I can find about this. I hope somebody else
    here has some better answers than mine.

  5. #5

    It sounds like it's a program that's been installed at some point which is in
    the startup programs.
    Use msconfig to find and disable it. If on W2000, get StartupCPL from
    [url]www.mlin.net[/url] for an msconfig-like control panel.

    Andrew

    Andrew Morton Guest

  6. #6

    On 03 Dec 2003, "hateclowns" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > I've never actually installed Director. I don't know how it got
    > installed; I'm assuming with either Flash or Shockwave, because those
    > are the only Macromedia products that I installed on my computer.
    >
    > The pop-up comes ALL THE TIME, no matter what. Immediately after
    > booting into Windows, it pops up. When I click it, it goes away, then
    > reappears shortly after, maybe ten-fifteen seconds.
    It sounds as if you have a Dir5 projector set to run automatically by the
    OS. Perhaps as a service? It may show up in the Task Manager under the
    "Processes" tab instead of the "Applications" tab.

    You don't mention which OS you're running, but you could scour your
    Registry and/or the Startup folders in your system to see if there's a
    program you don't want to run.

    There's a free utility program called that greatly simplifies this task.
    Just be careful not to delete something you really need to have running for
    the OS. Look for the Autoruns utility here:

    [url]http://www.sysinternals.com[/url]

    --
    Mark A. Boyd
    Keep-On-Learnin' :)

  7. #7

    I'm in the same situation as HC and I use XP.... I remember DP5 used to work on a previous version of windows and I tried to use XP's compatiblity mode but I still get the same problem

    Nosaji webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  8. #8

    Well, I found out what it was. My idiot brother downloaded some screen saver, and I guess somehow it was continually running, but was having problems due to 5.0 being so old. I deleted the saver, and all mentions from the registry, and things seem to be fine now. Thanks for the help, though.

    hateclowns webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  9. #9

    I tried to do what Hateclowns did and I'm still having the same problem even after I disabled the system restore. I know for sure though that I should have more than enough memory (1gig RAM, 1gig VM) to run DP 5.0. Does anyone know of any other tasks or programs I should try to delete or disable so DP 5.0 will run?

    Nosaji webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  10. #10

    On 04 Dec 2003, "Nosaji" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > I tried to do what Hateclowns did and I'm still having the same
    > problem even after I disabled the system restore. I know for sure
    > though that I should have more than enough memory (1gig RAM, 1gig VM)
    > to run DP 5.0. Does anyone know of any other tasks or programs I
    > should try to delete or disable so DP 5.0 will run?
    What is DP 5.0?

    The problem with projectors created with ancient versions of Director* is
    that they could not anticipate Microsoft changing the way free space is
    reported. I /think/ MS changed the number of bytes reported from Bytes to
    KB or MB.

    In other words, if Windows used to report free space in Bytes, then 3MB
    would be 3145728. If it now reports it in KBytes, that same number is now
    3072. If Windows returns free space in MB, then the number is 3.

    So, if a program requires a minimum of 3145728 Bytes, then 3072 or 3
    certainly won't cut it.

    Note that the above is all conjecture and I haven't actually researched the
    subject. It just sounds reasonable at the moment.

    I would do my best to get rid of whatever program you're running (DP 5.0?)
    if it was created with such an old version of Director. Perhaps the company
    that created the program has an updated version.

    BTW, the program Andrew linked to seems much better than the utility I
    linked to. It allows you to make changes within the program instead of
    opening the registry or whatever do make the changes.

    *It's been a loooong time for me, but I don't think Director 5 even
    supported Windows 95 or NT3.5x. Wasn't it strictly a 16-bit projector on
    Windows?

    P.S. Does that XP "Compatibility" mode go all the way back to Win3.1?

    --
    Mark A. Boyd
    Keep-On-Learnin' :)