Professional Web Applications Themes

Virtual PC really usable with 1.25 GHz Powerbook? - Mac Applications & Software

Just ordered the 1.25GHz alum PB. Switching from WinXP. I'm curious if Virtual PC actually runs software fast enough to be useful? Or s it just one of those wishful thinking things where you run Photoshop, or Frontpage once, and never do it again because while it runs, it doesn't run well? All help appreciated--...

  1. #1

    Default Virtual PC really usable with 1.25 GHz Powerbook?

    Just ordered the 1.25GHz alum PB. Switching from WinXP. I'm curious if
    Virtual PC actually runs software fast enough to be useful?

    Or s it just one of those wishful thinking things where you run Photoshop,
    or Frontpage once, and never do it again because while it runs, it doesn't
    run well?

    All help appreciated--

    Bum Guest

  2. #2

    In article <com>, Bum Leg
    <com> wrote:

    I don't have a PB, but I do have a G4/933 so maybe my experience will
    give you some idea.

    Windows loads slower and apps load slower than on a current PC, but
    after the load, program operation seems OK. Frontpage run nicely
    compared to my Athlon 850Mhz machine.

    Photoshop? I don't think I would want to run it under VPC. But Adobe
    has usually got some nice pricing on a 'cross-grade'. Call them to
    find out pricing.

    I run ACT! on my VPC all the time, but the rest of my daily use apps
    are all OSX native.

    So from my experience, apps will load slower and then run somewhat
    slower. Apps that are doing lots of I/O to the hd or cd will probably
    be slower, maybe even unacceptable to you.

    Lloyd
    Lloyd Guest

  3. #3

    In article <200920030937361503%com>, Lloyd Parsons
    <com> wrote:

    All of the above agrees with what I have found on my 12" AlumBook with
    its 867Mhz G4. I would only add that VPC is quicker when the virtual
    machine is alotted more ram. Give the virtual machine as much as you
    can spare (under the "Edit" menu and accessible by typing <command>-T).
    jemmy Guest

  4. #4

    In article <com>,
    "Bum Leg" <com> wrote:

    Why would you run Photoshop in Virtual PC? The ONLY reason to run
    Virtual PC is to run software that isn't available on the Mac.

    Anyway, to answer your question, it's a matter of what you consider
    useful. I expect, onyour 1.25GHz alum PB, you will get the performance
    of a 500 MHZ Pentium 2 or 3.

    I can run Virtual PC on a TiBook 550. It works well enough to use to
    look something up every now and again but if you need to work on PC only
    Apps on a daily basis, get a PC. Emulation will never outperform the
    real think or even come close.
    Loren Guest

  5. #5

    In article <panix.com>,
    Loren Finkelstein <net> wrote:

    I run it on a TiBook/667 when I need to run Access or the like. It
    works, but not very fast.

    It is actually roughly the same speed on my wife's TiBook/400, because
    the Ti/400 series had a larger L2 cache than the 667. I understand that
    it also is pretty zippy on the Ti/1G a friend has, because of a large
    cache.

    I hear tell that the L2 cache is smaller on the new AlBooks, so I
    eagerly await results from someone with a 1.25 or 1.33 and VPC.

    Scott
    Scott Guest

  6. #6

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Scott Ellsworth <com> wrote:

    > I run it on a TiBook/667 when I need to run Access or the like. It
    > works, but not very fast.
    >
    > It is actually roughly the same speed on my wife's TiBook/400, because
    > the Ti/400 series had a larger L2 cache than the 667. I understand that
    > it also is pretty zippy on the Ti/1G a friend has, because of a large
    > cache.
    >
    > I hear tell that the L2 cache is smaller on the new AlBooks, so I
    > eagerly await results from someone with a 1.25 or 1.33 and VPC.[/ref]

    (Hi, Scott!)

    I'm pretty sure the L2 cache is larger on the new PowerBooks. The L3
    cache is gone, though. I'm not sure what impact that'll have on Virtual
    PC's performance.

    -Eric

    --
    Eric Albert edu
    http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~ejalbert/

  7. #7

    Eric Albert proclaimed 9/25/03 11:34 PM:

    >> I run it on a TiBook/667 when I need to run Access or the like. It
    >> works, but not very fast.
    >>
    >> It is actually roughly the same speed on my wife's TiBook/400, because
    >> the Ti/400 series had a larger L2 cache than the 667. I understand that
    >> it also is pretty zippy on the Ti/1G a friend has, because of a large
    >> cache.
    >>
    >> I hear tell that the L2 cache is smaller on the new AlBooks, so I
    >> eagerly await results from someone with a 1.25 or 1.33 and VPC.[/ref]
    >
    > (Hi, Scott!)
    >
    > I'm pretty sure the L2 cache is larger on the new PowerBooks. The L3
    > cache is gone, though. I'm not sure what impact that'll have on Virtual
    > PC's performance.
    >
    > -Eric[/ref]
    Hi Guys..(ladies ;)this a good area to question. Mine about CD authoring??
    Although i'm sure some Guru's will say it's just plain idiotic
    to do cross-check your 'hybrid creation results' on anything
    but a complete other PC laptop - the whole point here is that we
    have ALL been waiting for the grand "speed jump" acheivements
    that would bring us a releif from buying "another PC or anything!!'.
    This is to say, that if i take my 1.25 ghx book to the coffee shop
    and author-up some content that rocks some fulln-fullscreen video
    will VPC be able to manage that.??. We're not talking about
    some exclusive PC graphics board requirement here - just straight Vids.
    But even a movie clip is demanding - so that is why i ask.?

    Other questions could run into.. will VPC handle 3D apps like Lightwave®
    or Soft Image® - though from what i've heard these apps are STILL
    dragging at various rendering duties even on PC's.!!. So HOW? would
    anyone ever be able to say they found it satisfying.?
    It seems automatically inclined to be tainted as "slow..." when infact
    it's the app that's '..slow..." on ANY box..even PC's themselves.

    So one question and one observation i guess? Any ideas/knowledge?
    Has anyone authoring switched to VPC to checkout the PC functionality?

    Thanks gratefully,

    3Defi Guest

  8. #8

    Default IS?? - Virtual PC "capable" checking crossplatfom MultiMediaCD's.?( on any Powerbook?)

    Hi Guys..(ladies ;)this a good area to question. Mine about CD authoring??
    Although i'm sure some Guru's will say it's just plain idiotic
    to do cross-check your 'hybrid creation results' on anything
    but a complete other PC laptop - the whole point here is that we
    have ALL been waiting for the grand "speed jump" acheivements
    that would bring us a releif from buying "another PC or anything!!'.
    This is to say, that if i take my 1.25 ghx book to the coffee shop
    and author-up some content that rocks some fulln-fullscreen video
    will VPC be able to manage that.??. We're not talking about
    some exclusive PC graphics board requirement here - just straight Vids.
    But even a movie clip is demanding - so that is why i ask.?

    Anyone w/experience that's doing xplat-authoring
    able to switched to VPC to checkout the PC functionality?

    Thanks gratefully,

    3Defi Guest

  9. #9

    > Anyone w/experience that's doing xplat-authoring

    In my experience, most multimedia is pretty choppy on VPC (using 1GHz G4 1GB
    RAM).

    Tim Guest

  10. #10

    In article <stanford.edu>, Eric
    Albert <edu> wrote:

    > (Hi, Scott!)
    >
    > I'm pretty sure the L2 cache is larger on the new PowerBooks. The L3
    > cache is gone, though. I'm not sure what impact that'll have on Virtual
    > PC's performance.[/ref]

    Hello All --

    I have these experiences with Virtual PC
    - PowerBook g3 500 (pismo) in OS 9 -- VPC was good enough to use
    - TiBook g4 550 in OS X 10.2.6 -- Not good enough to use, a real bummer
    - AlBook g4 1.25gHz in OS X 10.2.7 -- Now it's good enough again,
    actually pretty good.

    YMMV.

    -- Sally

    --
    Sally Shears (a.k.a. "Molly")
    com -or- org

  11. #11

    Tim Murray proclaimed 9/27/03 4:46 PM:

    > In my experience, most multimedia is pretty choppy on VPC (using 1GHz G4 1GB
    > RAM).
    >[/ref]
    Thanks for your valuable comment Tim - greatly appreciated.
    Thx

    3Defi Guest