Professional Web Applications Themes

Virtual Reality style project - Macromedia Director 3D

Hi, I'm currently trying to develop a project to be able to walk around a house and click on different items within the house. I've got a model from 3D Studio Max, imported it into Director and I'd now like to be able to walk around the house and click on different items, for example a couch, and make an event happen... hot spots I believe? Also, I need to be able to deploy such within Flash or a Visual Basic application. Any ideas or links to point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!...

  1. #1

    Default Virtual Reality style project

    Hi,

    I'm currently trying to develop a project to be able to walk around a house
    and click on different items within the house. I've got a model from 3D Studio
    Max, imported it into Director and I'd now like to be able to walk around the
    house and click on different items, for example a couch, and make an event
    happen... hot spots I believe?

    Also, I need to be able to deploy such within Flash or a Visual Basic
    application.

    Any ideas or links to point me in the right direction?

    Thanks in advance!

    Aaron Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Virtual Reality style project

    You won't be able to put Director into Flash (however you can put Flash into
    Director). For Visual Basic, this is the topic that can get you started:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_12993

    Picking hotspots involves using the command modelsUnderLoc or modelsUnderRay.
    Something like this is needed in a script on the 3D sprite:

    If you're not into heavy coding, maybe some of the Library behaviors can help.

    property spritenum, pSp, pW3d

    on beginsprite me
    pSp = sprite(spritenum)
    pW3d = pSp.member
    end beginsprite

    on mouseup me
    pt = the mouseLoc - point(pSp.left, pSp.top)
    vList = pSp.camera.modelsUnderLoc(pt)
    repeat with m in vList
    if (m = pW3d.model("yourCouch")) then
    -- do your event
    end if
    end repeat
    end mouseup

    tedalde2 Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the response, I guess my next question is, if I've got a 3d model
    from 3ds Max, how do I go about being able to navigate around it (via
    Shockwave, in a website) and be able to click hotspots then... much like the
    Wonderville game?

    Thanks in advance!

    Aaron Guest

  4. #4

    You'd export a W3D file from Max. You can select options that will affect how
    your scene will look and play; textures, etc. Then import the W3D into
    Director, and place the W3D on the stage/in the score. You can then apply
    behaviors to the sprite from the Library for camera movement actions and
    triggers. I've never used the Library extensively, but I think the behaviors
    work OK. You can also apply the script I posted above to get "picking" info for
    the W3D scene; if you click on a model named "yourCouch" then you can catch
    that and do something else. After you're done, you can export DCR and HTML
    files and your project will run in a browser using the Shockwave plugin.

    There's also a person who posts here sometimes who maintains this site:
    http://www.chromelib.com/

    Again, I've never used it but it looks like something you could use.

    tedalde2 Guest