Professional Web Applications Themes

Virulent XP - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello, I have a laptop with a RH 7.x/XP dual boot. Unfortunately, after all this blaster virus business (which the XP side certainly caught) it began to act strangely, eventually dying and refusing to even boot. My solution is to re-install the operating system. However, I recall from when I first loading the OSes that I had to do windows first and linux later, as Windows would over-write the boot records and be as annoying as possible. If that is true, how do I go about re-loading windows on th XP side with affecting my linux insallation (which has data ...

  1. #1

    Default Virulent XP

    Hello,

    I have a laptop with a RH 7.x/XP dual boot. Unfortunately, after all this
    blaster virus business (which the XP side certainly caught) it began to
    act strangely, eventually dying and refusing to even boot.

    My solution is to re-install the operating system. However, I recall from
    when I first loading the OSes that I had to do windows first and linux
    later, as Windows would over-write the boot records and be as annoying as
    possible.

    If that is true, how do I go about re-loading windows on th XP side with
    affecting my linux insallation (which has data I would not want to lose).

    Thanks, Antonio.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Antonio Garcia-Martinez
    cryptologia.com
    agm Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Virulent XP

    agm wrote:

    I would make a boot disk for Linux first. Then after you re-install Windows
    use the boot disk to get into Linux and run whatever you use to configure
    Lilo or Grub.
    Joseph Guest

  3. #3

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 16:52:46 +0100, Joseph Haig <maths.man.ac.uk> wrote:

    > I would make a boot disk for Linux first. Then after you re-install Windows
    > use the boot disk to get into Linux and run whatever you use to configure
    > Lilo or Grub.[/ref]

    You can boot off the first CD of most distributions and get rescue tools.
    TCS Guest

  4. #4

    TCS <The-Central-Scrutinizerp.o.b.o.x.com> wrote:
     [/ref]

    Sure, but assuming there should be only one hd in a laptop, isn't it
    reasonable that some M$ installer will grab for sure the whole disk,
    can't say for sure I don't use M$. I'd make a backup of /etc, /home
    and at least /root, before starting this adventure.

    The best idea is using GNU parted and make all the space available
    to Linux.;)

    --
    Michael Heiming

    inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM
    Michael Guest

  5. #5

    agm wrote:

    .... install eXPensive. boot with your Linux CD1 and select
    boot installed system and rewrite the boot loader
    ..
    Renning's Maxim: Man is the highest animal. Man does the classifying.

    mjt Guest

  6. #6

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 21:37:41 +0200, Michael Heiming <michael+heiming.de> wrote:
    >...[/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]

    theoretically MS doesn't wipe partitions it isn't told to install to.

    In practice, it's a bad idea to run a MS operating system with foreign
    partitions. I don't trust MS not to corrupt foreign partitions. My
    experience w/ os/2 and win95 dual booted was that the os/2 system stopped
    crashing all the time and having file errors once I stopped running win95
    on that system.
    TCS Guest

  7. #7

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 21:37:41 +0200,
    Michael Heiming <michael+heiming.de> wrote:
    > [/ref]

    > Sure, but assuming there should be only one hd in a laptop, isn't it
    > reasonable that some M$ installer will grab for sure the whole disk,
    > can't say for sure I don't use M$. I'd make a backup of /etc, /home
    > and at least /root, before starting this adventure.
    >[/ref]
    I've never seen an MS installer try to do that provided the OS could
    read the partition table. (DOS did not like 40G drives.) However, If
    you got a restore CD instead of an install CD you might run into
    problems, some vendors are so insistent about how you partition that
    they do it for you. PITA.

    Always best to back up to be safe though.

    Michael C.
    --
    com http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    Michael Guest

  8. #8

    TCS wrote:

    Well... "theoretically" is the key word here. Although I had a
    bad install with RH9 where it decided it was going to eat my
    vfat partition and format it as JFS even though I told it to
    leave it intact and not format it... :-(

    I'll have to keep that in mind. Although 95 did a lot of strange
    stuff that it successors seem to have corrected somewhat. It
    originally was FAT16 and IIRC FAT32 didn't evolve until 95b. It
    was somewhat of an improvement over FAT16.

    Jay Guest

  9. #9

    Michael C. wrote:

    .... those rescue CDs are cheaper to license than a REAL install
    CD set; basically, the CD is just a hard disk image
    ..
    One way to make your old car run better is to look up the
    price of a new model.

    mjt Guest