Professional Web Applications Themes

Visionfs and Winx XP security - SCO

Any recommendations on the proper configuration of Win XP and UNIX -> Windows printing using VisionFS 3.10.911? Given: WinXP user has an XP login ID and password. Given: visionfs print --install unixprinter winhost winprinter --user username --password userpassword Then: visionfs print --list returns for all to see: unixprinter \winhost\winprinter username:userpassword So how do we protect Win XP user's password? Do we go to all WinXP systems and add a user account just for printing: I.E. user name "printuser" with minimal XP privileges so that wide spread knowledge of the "printuser" password will not compromise the customer's XP system security? An ...

  1. #1

    Default Visionfs and Winx XP security

    Any recommendations on the proper configuration of Win XP and
    UNIX -> Windows printing using VisionFS 3.10.911?

    Given: WinXP user has an XP login ID and password.
    Given: visionfs print --install unixprinter winhost winprinter
    --user username --password userpassword

    Then: visionfs print --list returns for all to see:

    unixprinter \\winhost\winprinter username:userpassword

    So how do we protect Win XP user's password?

    Do we go to all WinXP systems and add a user account just for
    printing: I.E. user name "printuser" with minimal XP privileges
    so that wide spread knowledge of the "printuser" password will not
    compromise the customer's XP system security?

    An just what is the point of WinXP requiring a user name and password
    to print to an XP shared printer anyway?

    --

    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  2. #2

    Default Re: Visionfs and Winx XP security

    "Steve Fabac" <net> wrote in message

    Do you mean print from XP to Unix spool?

    If so all you need do is have matching user and passwords. Browse for Unix
    printer, and print.

    If you want to print to a printer connected to an XP box, I usually use lpd
    service on XP box with no problems, and passwords are never an issue.

    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    "Bob Meyers" <com> wrote in message

    > Do you mean print from XP to Unix spool?
    >
    > If so all you need do is have matching user and passwords. Browse for Unix
    > printer, and print.
    >
    > If you want to print to a printer connected to an XP box, I usually use[/ref]
    lpd

    Oops, you only need lpd if you want to print from Unix app to XP box. To
    setup a Unix spool printer that prints to an XP printer, all I do is add a
    line to printer script, such as:

    /usr/vision/bin/visionfs print //XP_Computer_name/XP_PrinterName ${file}

    Bob Guest

  4. #4

    Bob Meyers wrote:

    > Do you mean print from XP to Unix spool?[/ref]

    No, Print from UNIX spooled printer to printer on XP system and shared
    to network by XP.

    LPD is ugly and has never been implemented very well by SCO.
    LPD does not use interface files and so requires more effort to
    modify print jobs with printer control codes added after the
    application generates the text file.

    I use Netcat with print servers, and VisionFS with Win98
    (and now trying XP).

    --

    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  5. #5

    Bob Meyers wrote:

    > > Do you mean print from XP to Unix spool?[/ref][/ref]

    No, UNIX spool to WinXP

    > Oops, you only need lpd if you want to print from Unix app to XP box. To
    > setup a Unix spool printer that prints to an XP printer, all I do is add a
    > line to printer script, such as:
    >
    > /usr/vision/bin/visionfs print //XP_Computer_name/XP_PrinterName ${file}[/ref]

    Perfect. That's what I want to do. Now tell me how you configure WinXP to
    accomplish this magic.

    Remember, I did not set up the XP box. If you walked into a client's office
    with a XP system already setup and running and when you try the above, it
    insists on you supplying a user name and password, how would reconfigure
    XP to act like Win98 and not require the user name and password?

    Please don't skip any details. I have been dragging my feet on XP and have
    been installing Win98 (yes it is still available with new white box systems
    from ASI) for all my client's. I don't have XP and have no desire to purchase
    an XP system to play with.

    TIA

    --

    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  6. #6

    > > Do you mean print from XP to Unix spool?[/ref]
    >
    > No, Print from UNIX spooled printer to printer on XP system and shared
    > to network by XP. [/ref]
    Unix [/ref]
    lpd

    > LPD is ugly and has never been implemented very well by SCO.[/ref]

    Beauty is only skin deep. If you want to print from a Unix application to a
    printer connected to an XP box, LPD XP service is the only way I know.

    True, but you can take any standard spool interface script and make *it*
    print to an LPD printer. Just pipe it to "lp -s -dlpd_Printer" in the
    interface line that does the output business.

    So, buy a print server and use netcat?

    Bob Guest

  7. #7

    "Steve Fabac" <net> wrote in message
    news:net... [/ref]

    > No, UNIX spool to WinXP[/ref]

    Do you mean "Unix application"?

    systems
    purchase

    It is sinful to put Win98 on a new PC unless an obsolete Windows application
    demands it. XP-Win98 is like OSR5-Xenix.

    Bob Guest

  8. #8

    Bob Meyers wrote:

    > > No, UNIX spool to WinXP[/ref]
    >
    > Do you mean "Unix application"?[/ref]

    Yes. And from command line: cat /etc/somefile | lp -dwinprinter.

    But what difference does that make? The application essentially pipes
    to lp -dwinprinter -s. So what is the reason for your question?

    > It is sinful to put Win98 on a new PC unless an obsolete Windows application
    > demands it. XP-Win98 is like OSR5-Xenix.[/ref]

    Your opinion. My opinion is XP is bloat ware and only necessary to keep
    pulling money from installed base of pre-XP users via forced upgrade.
    Win 98 in an office environment providing browsing, word processing,
    spread sheet, and Termlite access to UNIX is satisfactory for 98% of
    small business clients.

    Now back to my request for assistance.

    You wrote: [/ref]

    And I wrote:

    So I repeat: Tell me how you accomplish this magic.

    TIA for any useful information you can provide.

    --

    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  9. #9

    > Yes. And from command line: cat /etc/somefile | lp -dwinprinter.
    >
    > But what difference does that make? The application essentially pipes
    > to lp -dwinprinter -s. So what is the reason for your question?[/ref]

    I don't know exactly, accept I manage some bigger networks with a little of
    everything and print all over the place, and I didn't have your printing
    scenario clear. Anytime I have setup print from Unix App to
    XP_shared_printer, I

    1) On XP box, install and run Unix TCP printing option, via ControlPanel ->
    Add/Remove Soft -> Add/Remove Windows Components
    2) Use AdminTools -> Services and make sure TCP Printer services is
    automatic and started (paraphrased).
    3) On SCO, Scoadmin -> Printers -> HP Network printer manager -> Add a
    printer to the spooler, enter in appropriate IP/host ID's.

    If I need to tweak the print with a script, I make a dummy printer and stick
    in '| lp -d -sXP_Printer'
    Sometimes you have to adjust XP settings.

    Bob Guest

  10. #10

    Steve Fabac typed (on Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 08:29:32PM +0000):

    | You wrote:
    | > > Oops, you only need lpd if you want to print from Unix app to XP box. To
    | > > setup a Unix spool printer that prints to an XP printer, all I do is add a
    | > > line to printer script, such as:
    | > >
    | > > /usr/vision/bin/visionfs print //XP_Computer_name/XP_PrinterName ${file}
    |
    | And I wrote:
    | >
    | > Perfect. That's what I want to do. Now tell me how you configure WinXP to
    | > accomplish this magic.
    |
    | So I repeat: Tell me how you accomplish this magic.
    |
    | TIA for any useful information you can provide.

    Have you grabbed relevant interface scripts from Tony Lawrence's site?
    Go to www.aplawrence.com, enter "visionfs print" in his Perl search
    engine.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Guest

  11. #11

    In article <net>, Steve Fabac <net> wrote:
     [/ref]

    And Win98 support and bug fixes and security patches goes away in
    the coming year. :-(. They [MS] are going to eventually force
    all old variants to upgrade, or be vulnerable [may be it should be
    more vulnerable] than current versions because of no security
    upgrades, just as 95 is today.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  12. #12

    "Steve Fabac" <net> wrote in message

    I apologize for my munged replies, I have printed to XP both ways. I logged
    in on remotes and checked. The best way is to simply add the 'visionfs
    print' line to the spooler script, and share the printer on the XP box.

    This method sometimes did not work, it may be that XP boxes with Windows
    Domain authentication won't allow it. In those cases, I used Windows XP TCP
    Print services (LPD) with good success.

    If I can help more, like XP config, email me.

    Bob Guest