Professional Web Applications Themes

Visionfs & XP - SCO

I updated my wife's laptop to WXP from W98. I used to use ghostscript to send postscript versions of incoming faxes to her printer (Lexmark Z22), but now the jobs just disappear. If something is just plain text, I can print it to her printer; if it's a file with PCL instructions, it doesn't print at all. I can see it appear in the spool listing on her WXP machine, say that it is "printing", and then disappear with nary a noise from the printer. -- JP...

  1. #1

    Default Visionfs & XP

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Radley Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Visionfs & XP

    "Jean-Pierre Radley" <jprjpr.com> wrote in message
    > I updated my wife's laptop to WXP from W98.
    >
    > I used to use ghostscript to send postscript versions of incoming faxes
    > to her printer (Lexmark Z22), but now the jobs just disappear.
    >
    > If something is just plain text, I can print it to her printer; if it's
    > a file with PCL instructions, it doesn't print at all. I can see it
    > appear in the spool listing on her WXP machine, say that it is
    > "printing", and then disappear with nary a noise from the printer.

    I'll assume that you can print a test page locally on her machine
    to the Lexmark. Nevertheless, you might want to try deleting the
    printer along with its driver (File->Server Properties->Drivers) and
    re-installing the latest XP driver from the lexmark website.

    If that fails to improve things, try transfering the PCL file to her
    machine and printing it from a DOS box (run cmd) using the
    command: copy /b filename.pcl lpt1:
    assuming, hopefully, that it's a parallel printer or a USB printer
    configured to appear as lpt1. If not, you have to fiddle with some
    printer properties settings to "capture printer port" to make it
    appear as lpt1 for dos programs. If this test doesn't work, then
    there's something wrong with the PCL file, such as a start macro
    command that has no corresponding end macro command (just
    happened to me recently).

    Remember that Win9x -> WinXP upgrades work about as well as
    5.0.5->5.0.7 upgrades, meaning that they're about 95% flawless,
    if you remembered to delete all the incompatible stuff first.

    Bob

    Bob Bailin Guest

  3. #3

    "Jean-Pierre Radley" <jprjpr.com> wrote in message
    > I updated my wife's laptop to WXP from W98.
    >
    > I used to use ghostscript to send postscript versions of incoming faxes
    > to her printer (Lexmark Z22), but now the jobs just disappear.
    >
    > If something is just plain text, I can print it to her printer; if it's
    > a file with PCL instructions, it doesn't print at all. I can see it
    > appear in the spool listing on her WXP machine, say that it is
    > "printing", and then disappear with nary a noise from the printer.
    I have not tried it with VisionFS or any other SMB/NMB, but I have
    experienced something similar using the Unix Print Services for Windows.

    Win2k worked perfectly, but when I migrated to WinXP only plain text files
    worked.

    Wayne M Jackson Guest

  4. #4

    "Jean-Pierre Radley" <jprjpr.com> wrote in message
    > I updated my wife's laptop to WXP from W98.
    >
    > I used to use ghostscript to send postscript versions of incoming faxes
    > to her printer (Lexmark Z22), but now the jobs just disappear.
    >
    > If something is just plain text, I can print it to her printer; if it's
    > a file with PCL instructions, it doesn't print at all. I can see it
    > appear in the spool listing on her WXP machine, say that it is
    > "printing", and then disappear with nary a noise from the printer.

    You might want to also check out
    [url]http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Unix/Q_20255956.html[/url]

    especially the discussion of "passthroughprinting", but I'm
    not sure if this still applies to WinXP. Also do a search
    for "passthroughprinting" at support.microsoft.com for
    additional info.

    Bob

    Bob Bailin Guest

  5. #5

    Bob Bailin wrote (on Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 10:19:39AM -0400):

    > "Jean-Pierre Radley" <jprjpr.com> wrote in message
    > > I updated my wife's laptop to WXP from W98.
    > >
    > > I used to use ghostscript to send postscript versions of incoming faxes
    > > to her printer (Lexmark Z22), but now the jobs just disappear.
    > >
    > > If something is just plain text, I can print it to her printer; if it's
    > > a file with PCL instructions, it doesn't print at all. I can see it
    > > appear in the spool listing on her WXP machine, say that it is
    > > "printing", and then disappear with nary a noise from the printer.
    I'm wondering if it's possibie to do on XP what I can do on Unix: disable the
    printer (unplug it maybe?) send the job anyway, examine the bytestream on the
    Windows box spooler.

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, EA, LLM [email]awacsegps.com[/email]
    Attorney and Counselor-at-Law [url]http://yankel.com[/url]
    Economic Group Pension Services [url]http://egps.com[/url]
    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind Guest

  6. #6

    "Jean-Pierre Radley" <jprjpr.com> wrote in message
    > I updated my wife's laptop to WXP from W98.
    >
    > I used to use ghostscript to send postscript versions of incoming faxes
    > to her printer (Lexmark Z22), but now the jobs just disappear.
    >
    > If something is just plain text, I can print it to her printer; if it's
    > a file with PCL instructions, it doesn't print at all. I can see it
    > appear in the spool listing on her WXP machine, say that it is
    > "printing", and then disappear with nary a noise from the printer.
    >
    > --
    > JP
    I've seen simlar behavior when the printer's spool data format (printer->
    properties-> details-> spool settings-> spool data format) wasn't set to
    "raw", but ISTR that nothing would print, not even plain text.

    --
    Richard Seeder

    Richard Guest

  7. #7

    Jean-Pierre Radley typed (on Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 05:57:52PM -0400):
    | I updated my wife's laptop to WXP from W98.
    |
    | I used to use ghostscript to send postscript versions of incoming faxes
    | to her printer (Lexmark Z22), but now the jobs just disappear.
    |
    | If something is just plain text, I can print it to her printer; if it's
    | a file with PCL instructions, it doesn't print at all. I can see it
    | appear in the spool listing on her WXP machine, say that it is
    | "printing", and then disappear with nary a noise from the printer.

    Thanks to all who responded, but I'm still S.O.L.

    I installed the more recent Lexmark Z22 driver for XP.
    I set up lpd daemon on XPC, and used that instead of VisionFS.
    I set raw, I set text, I set this'n and that'n.

    The end result is the same. I can send plain text files to the Lexmark
    but sending PCL code emitted by ghostscript results in printing the raw
    PCL code, or printing nothing at all. Progress backwards...

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Radley Guest

  8. #8

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > Jean-Pierre Radley typed (on Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 05:57:52PM -0400):
    > | I updated my wife's laptop to WXP from W98.
    > |
    > | I used to use ghostscript to send postscript versions of incoming faxes
    > | to her printer (Lexmark Z22), but now the jobs just disappear.
    > |
    > | If something is just plain text, I can print it to her printer; if it's
    > | a file with PCL instructions, it doesn't print at all. I can see it
    > | appear in the spool listing on her WXP machine, say that it is
    > | "printing", and then disappear with nary a noise from the printer.
    >
    > Thanks to all who responded, but I'm still S.O.L.
    >
    > I installed the more recent Lexmark Z22 driver for XP.
    > I set up lpd daemon on XPC, and used that instead of VisionFS.
    > I set raw, I set text, I set this'n and that'n.
    >
    > The end result is the same. I can send plain text files to the Lexmark
    > but sending PCL code emitted by ghostscript results in printing the raw
    > PCL code, or printing nothing at all. Progress backwards...

    JP,

    what about using redmon as a test ?

    [url]http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/redmon/index.htm[/url]

    "The RedMon port monitor redirects a special printer port to a program.
    RedMon is commonly used with Ghostscript and a non-PostScript printer to
    emulate a PostScript printer."

    Perhaps you can create a little wrapper script which, after receiving
    the print job from the SCO box, saves it to a file for a later comparison.

    Thus making, you should be able to see if a) the job gets correctly
    spooled to the XP box and b) if the very same job gets printed using the
    MS-DOS "TYPE" command.

    Just my 2 cents,
    Roberto
    Roberto Zini email : r.zini<AT>strhold.it
    Technical Support Manager -- Strhold Evolution Division R.E. (ITALY)
    "Has anybody around here seen an aircraft carrier?"
    (Pete "Maverick" Mitchell - Top Gun)

    Roberto Zini Guest

  9. #9

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 10:27:37 +0200, Roberto Zini
    <r.zini_removeme_strhold.it> wrote:
    >Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    >> Jean-Pierre Radley typed (on Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 05:57:52PM -0400):
    >> | I updated my wife's laptop to WXP from W98.
    >> |
    >> | I used to use ghostscript to send postscript versions of incoming faxes
    >> | to her printer (Lexmark Z22), but now the jobs just disappear.
    >> |
    >> | If something is just plain text, I can print it to her printer; if it's
    >> | a file with PCL instructions, it doesn't print at all. I can see it
    >> | appear in the spool listing on her WXP machine, say that it is
    >> | "printing", and then disappear with nary a noise from the printer.
    >>
    >> Thanks to all who responded, but I'm still S.O.L.
    >>
    >> I installed the more recent Lexmark Z22 driver for XP.
    >> I set up lpd daemon on XPC, and used that instead of VisionFS.
    >> I set raw, I set text, I set this'n and that'n.
    >>
    >> The end result is the same. I can send plain text files to the Lexmark
    >> but sending PCL code emitted by ghostscript results in printing the raw
    >> PCL code, or printing nothing at all. Progress backwards...
    >>

    >JP,
    >
    >what about using redmon as a test ?
    >
    > [url]http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/redmon/index.htm[/url]
    >
    >"The RedMon port monitor redirects a special printer port to a program.
    >RedMon is commonly used with Ghostscript and a non-PostScript printer to
    >emulate a PostScript printer."
    >
    >Perhaps you can create a little wrapper script which, after receiving
    >the print job from the SCO box, saves it to a file for a later comparison.
    >
    >Thus making, you should be able to see if a) the job gets correctly
    >spooled to the XP box and b) if the very same job gets printed using the
    >MS-DOS "TYPE" command.
    >
    >Just my 2 cents,
    >Roberto
    Perhaps Print Wizard? [url]http://www.anzio.com/products/printwiz.htm[/url]
    UBW
    ubw Guest

  10. #10

    Jean-Pierre Radley typed (on Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 05:19:48PM -0400):
    | Jean-Pierre Radley typed (on Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 05:57:52PM -0400):
    | | I updated my wife's laptop to WXP from W98.
    | |
    | | I used to use ghostscript to send postscript versions of incoming faxes
    | | to her printer (Lexmark Z22), but now the jobs just disappear.
    | |
    | | If something is just plain text, I can print it to her printer; if it's
    | | a file with PCL instructions, it doesn't print at all. I can see it
    | | appear in the spool listing on her WXP machine, say that it is
    | | "printing", and then disappear with nary a noise from the printer.
    |
    | Thanks to all who responded, but I'm still S.O.L.
    |
    | I installed the more recent Lexmark Z22 driver for XP.
    | I set up lpd daemon on XPC, and used that instead of VisionFS.
    | I set raw, I set text, I set this'n and that'n.
    |
    | The end result is the same. I can send plain text files to the Lexmark
    | but sending PCL code emitted by ghostscript results in printing the raw
    | PCL code, or printing nothing at all. Progress backwards...

    This is getting beyond my wife's printer problem now.

    I have a customer with several printers (Epson and HP) plugged in to the
    parallel ports of Windows98 machines. Many of the reports sent to them
    (using VisionFS) use simple high-ASCII line-drawing characters for boxes,
    and some of the reports aamy involve some font changes within the
    doents. I can't get them to print properly through XP. Instead
    of boxes, or vertical lines, I'm getting the high-Ascii characters that
    were once handled easily on the console by undoing mapchan effects.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Radley Guest

  11. #11

    "Jean-Pierre Radley" <jprjpr.com> wrote in message
    > I updated my wife's laptop to WXP from W98.
    >
    > I used to use ghostscript to send postscript versions of incoming faxes
    > to her printer (Lexmark Z22), but now the jobs just disappear.
    >
    > If something is just plain text, I can print it to her printer; if it's
    > a file with PCL instructions, it doesn't print at all. I can see it
    > appear in the spool listing on her WXP machine, say that it is
    > "printing", and then disappear with nary a noise from the printer.

    In your XP printer configuration, did you add drivers for other OS's? You
    have to explicitly add a driver for Win9X to a shared XP printer.

    Bob Meyers Guest

  12. #12

    Bob Meyers typed (on Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 08:41:06AM -0700):

    | "Jean-Pierre Radley" <jprjpr.com> wrote in message
    | > I updated my wife's laptop to WXP from W98.
    | >
    | > I used to use ghostscript to send postscript versions of incoming faxes
    | > to her printer (Lexmark Z22), but now the jobs just disappear.
    | >
    | > If something is just plain text, I can print it to her printer; if it's
    | > a file with PCL instructions, it doesn't print at all. I can see it
    | > appear in the spool listing on her WXP machine, say that it is
    | > "printing", and then disappear with nary a noise from the printer.
    | >

    | In your XP printer configuration, did you add drivers for other OS's? You
    | have to explicitly add a driver for Win9X to a shared XP printer.

    I don't see such an option...

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Radley Guest

  13. #13

    I've had similar problems with USB printers only (sorry, unsolved). Is
    it a USB printer?

    beanz Guest

  14. #14

    "beanz" <member33033dbforums.com> wrote in message

    > I've had similar problems with USB printers only (sorry, unsolved). Is
    > it a USB printer?
    Have you tried Win2k - that has been the main success for this sort of
    thing.

    Wayne M Jackson Guest

  15. #15

    > Bob Meyers typed (on Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 08:41:06AM -0700):
    > |
    > | "Jean-Pierre Radley" <jprjpr.com> wrote in message
    > | > I updated my wife's laptop to WXP from W98.
    > | >
    > | > I used to use ghostscript to send postscript versions of incoming
    faxes
    > | > to her printer (Lexmark Z22), but now the jobs just disappear.
    > | >
    > | > If something is just plain text, I can print it to her printer; if
    it's
    > | > a file with PCL instructions, it doesn't print at all. I can see it
    > | > appear in the spool listing on her WXP machine, say that it is
    > | > "printing", and then disappear with nary a noise from the printer.
    > | >

    > | In your XP printer configuration, did you add drivers for other OS's?
    You
    > | have to explicitly add a driver for Win9X to a shared XP printer.
    >
    > I don't see such an option...
    I do! On XP, go to Start -> Printers and Faxes -> Right-click shared
    printer -> See a button for "Additional drivers"? If you can render html
    email I'll email you personally a screen shot of mine. Do you have it
    "Shared" on the XP box?

    Bob Meyers Guest