Professional Web Applications Themes

Vista AV? - Windows Vista

Following the recommendation of Zacks excellent pages I installed Avast AV on build 5308 and now no app can access the internet at all, and if I try to remove Avast at all from the control panel the machine locks solid. Any ideas how to get rid of it guys? -- Tekguru (Daron Brewood) MS-MVP/Mobile Devices Webmaster: UKs largest Pocket PC Site [url]http://www.4WinMobile.com[/url]...

  1. #1

    Default Vista AV?

    --
    Tekguru (Daron Brewood)
    MS-MVP/Mobile Devices

    Webmaster: UKs largest Pocket PC Site
    [url]http://www.4WinMobile.com[/url]
    Tekguru (Daron Brewood) Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Vista AV?

    On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 05:12:43 +0000, Tekguru (Daron Brewood) wrote:
    > Following the recommendation of Zacks excellent pages I installed Avast AV
    > on build 5308 and now no app can access the internet at all, and if I try
    > to remove Avast at all from the control panel the machine locks solid.
    >
    > Any ideas how to get rid of it guys?
    Well to answer my own question to remove it I had to use msconfig to remove
    it from the auto-load options and then could remove it.

    I did try booting into safe mode but when that has been accessed and I went
    into the control panel most of the icons, including the remove programs
    option just did not exist.

  3. #3

    I must deeply apologise about it on my articles list, I need to get the AV
    page up to date because it seems that only the Symantec client works with it
    (which is a major pain in the from my perspective!!)

    --
    Zack Whittaker
    Microsoft Beta (Windows Server R2 Beta Mentor)

    --- Original message follows ---
    "Tekguru (Daron Brewood)" <tekgurutekguru.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 05:12:43 +0000, Tekguru (Daron Brewood) wrote:
    >
    >> Following the recommendation of Zacks excellent pages I installed Avast
    >> AV
    >> on build 5308 and now no app can access the internet at all, and if I try
    >> to remove Avast at all from the control panel the machine locks solid.
    >>
    >> Any ideas how to get rid of it guys?
    >
    > Well to answer my own question to remove it I had to use msconfig to
    > remove
    > it from the auto-load options and then could remove it.
    >
    > I did try booting into safe mode but when that has been accessed and I
    > went
    > into the control panel most of the icons, including the remove programs
    > option just did not exist.
    > --
    > Tekguru (Daron Brewood)
    > MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
    >
    > Webmaster: UKs largest Pocket PC Site
    > [url]http://www.4WinMobile.com[/url]

    Zack Whittaker \(R2 Mentor\) Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Tekguru,

    If you have existing Symantec AV license, you can get into the BETA for
    Symantec AV for Vista ([url]http://www.symantec.com/vista[/url])

    I tried webshield, but it was a nightmare, I had to uninstall it, some have
    recommended disabling netshield and webshield for it to work properly on
    5308.

    Computer Associates eTrust 7 30 day trial works.

    VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i works, download it here :
    [url]http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/beta/vse/vse.htm[/url]

    Register for the VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i Vista Beta :
    [url]http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/beta/vse/vse_vista.htm[/url]
    Andre
    Windows Connect | [url]http://www.windowsconnected.com[/url]
    Extended64 | [url]http://www.extended64.com[/url]
    Blog | [url]http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre[/url]
    [url]http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta[/url]

    > Following the recommendation of Zacks excellent pages I installed Avast AV
    > on build 5308 and now no app can access the internet at all, and if I try
    > to remove Avast at all from the control panel the machine locks solid.
    >
    > Any ideas how to get rid of it guys?
    > --
    > Tekguru (Daron Brewood)
    > MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
    >
    > Webmaster: UKs largest Pocket PC Site
    > [url]http://www.4WinMobile.com[/url]

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64] Guest

  5. #5

    I've been running ClamWin ([url]www.clamwin.com[/url]) OK in 5308. It doesn't have
    real-time scanning, but it does work.

    --
    </Slugsie>
    "Zack Whittaker (R2 Mentor)" <adminzacknet.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I must deeply apologise about it on my articles list, I need to get the AV
    >page up to date because it seems that only the Symantec client works with
    >it (which is a major pain in the from my perspective!!)

    Slugsie Guest

  6. #6

    On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:35:46 -0000, Zack Whittaker (R2 Mentor) wrote:
    > I must deeply apologise about it on my articles list, I need to get the AV
    > page up to date because it seems that only the Symantec client works with it
    > (which is a major pain in the from my perspective!!)
    Not a problem Zack ,these things do tends to bite us all in the IT world
    from time to time!

  7. #7

    On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 14:23:29 -0000, Slugsie wrote:
    > I've been running ClamWin ([url]www.clamwin.com[/url]) OK in 5308. It doesn't have
    > real-time scanning, but it does work.
    Cheers Slugs, will add to my test list :)

  8. #8

    On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 05:46:36 -0800, Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
    > VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i works, download it here :
    > [url]http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/beta/vse/vse.htm[/url]
    >
    > Register for the VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i Vista Beta :
    > [url]http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/beta/vse/vse_vista.htm[/url]
    Thanks Andre, have just signed up for both of these, no way I will touch
    the CA AV as I've had issues with it in years gone by, plus no Symantec
    license I'm afraid.

  9. #9

    Zack Whittaker (R2 Mentor) a écrit :
    > I must deeply apologise about it on my articles list, I need to get the AV
    > page up to date because it seems that only the Symantec client works with it
    > (which is a major pain in the from my perspective!!)
    >
    > --
    > Zack Whittaker
    > Microsoft Beta (Windows Server R2 Beta Mentor)
    > » ZackNET Enterprises: [url]www.zacknet.co.uk[/url]
    > » MSBlog on ResDev: [url]http://msblog.resdev.net[/url]
    > » ZackNET Forum: [url]www.zacknet.co.uk/forum[/url]
    > » VistaBase: [url]www.vistabase.co.uk[/url]
    > » This mailing is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no
    > rights. All opinions expressed are those of myself unless stated so, and not
    > of my employer, best friend, mother or cat. Let's be clear on that one!
    >

    > --- Original message follows ---
    > "Tekguru (Daron Brewood)" <tekgurutekguru.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 05:12:43 +0000, Tekguru (Daron Brewood) wrote:
    >>
    >>> Following the recommendation of Zacks excellent pages I installed Avast AV
    >>> on build 5308 and now no app can access the internet at all, and if I try
    >>> to remove Avast at all from the control panel the machine locks solid.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas how to get rid of it guys?
    >>
    >> Well to answer my own question to remove it I had to use msconfig to remove
    >> it from the auto-load options and then could remove it.
    >>
    >> I did try booting into safe mode but when that has been accessed and I went
    >> into the control panel most of the icons, including the remove programs
    >> option just did not exist.
    >> -- Tekguru (Daron Brewood)
    >> MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
    >>
    >> Webmaster: UKs largest Pocket PC Site
    >> [url]http://www.4WinMobile.com[/url]
    NOD32 2.5 works fine with 3508 32bit, the only thing is you have to
    "Run as Administrator" the NOD32 control panel, to allow it to connect
    to its service.

    --
    cf

    GrabIt + GigaNews Platinum + Free

    cf Guest

  10. #10

    Has anyone installed the Beta of Norton and Mcafee on Vista yet? If so can
    you give me some feedback so I can create an article on this. Plus, my Vista
    is slow enough at the moment so i dont want to add to that with a heavy AV
    lol.

    --
    Deansweb2004|NT - Dean Wronowski
    Server2003 R2 (Grasshoppers) NNTP Hoster

    > On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 05:46:36 -0800, Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
    >
    >> VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i works, download it here :
    >> [url]http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/beta/vse/vse.htm[/url]
    >>
    >> Register for the VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i Vista Beta :
    >> [url]http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/beta/vse/vse_vista.htm[/url]
    >
    > Thanks Andre, have just signed up for both of these, no way I will touch
    > the CA AV as I've had issues with it in years gone by, plus no Symantec
    > license I'm afraid.
    > --
    > Tekguru (Daron Brewood)
    > MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
    >
    > Webmaster: UKs largest Pocket PC Site
    > [url]http://www.4WinMobile.com[/url]
    Deansweb2004|NT Guest

  11. #11

    I have installed NAV 2006, and it seems to run (although it won't activate
    the "anti-trojan" module - possibly a conflict with Windows Defender). I
    haven't tried the Vista beta version yet.
    --
    Pierre Szwarc
    Paris, France

    "Deansweb2004|NT" <deandeansweb2004.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    [email]OkRwjqvRGHA.2300TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl[/email]...
    | Has anyone installed the Beta of Norton and Mcafee on Vista yet? If so can
    | you give me some feedback so I can create an article on this. Plus, my
    Vista
    | is slow enough at the moment so i dont want to add to that with a heavy AV
    | lol.

    Pierre Szwarc Guest

  12. #12

    On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:07:36 +0100, cf wrote:
    > NOD32 2.5 works fine with 3508 32bit, the only thing is you have to
    > "Run as Administrator" the NOD32 control panel, to allow it to connect
    > to its service.
    How exactly does one do this as I installed NOD trial this morning and got
    that same error that it could not connect to the kernal?

  13. #13

    Tekguru (Daron Brewood) wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:07:36 +0100, cf wrote:
    >
    >> NOD32 2.5 works fine with 3508 32bit, the only thing is you have to
    >> "Run as Administrator" the NOD32 control panel, to allow it to connect
    >> to its service.
    >
    > How exactly does one do this as I installed NOD trial this morning and got
    > that same error that it could not connect to the kernal?
    A way to get NOD32 to start with no error is to disable UAP.
    Surely for the official release of Vista this problem will be fixed.

    --
    *Riccardo Cretti* - ICQ 15927849
    Get Firefox!

  14. #14

    Tekguru (Daron Brewood) a écrit :
    > On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:07:36 +0100, cf wrote:
    >
    >> NOD32 2.5 works fine with 3508 32bit, the only thing is you have to
    >> "Run as Administrator" the NOD32 control panel, to allow it to connect
    >> to its service.
    >
    > How exactly does one do this as I installed NOD trial this morning and got
    > that same error that it could not connect to the kernal?
    Go into the folder where you installed NOD (Should be C:\Program
    Files\ESET\).
    Find nod32kui.exe.
    Right-click, Compatibility tab, "Privilege Level" section, enable "Run
    this program as an administrator".
    You'll have to click the "Allow" button in the escalade privileges
    popup box when you open a session and that the NOD32 Control Panel is
    launched, but it will be able to connect to the service.

    Christophe

    cf Guest

  15. #15

    cf wrote:
    > Tekguru (Daron Brewood) a écrit :
    >> On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:07:36 +0100, cf wrote:
    >>
    >>> NOD32 2.5 works fine with 3508 32bit, the only thing is you have to
    >>> "Run as Administrator" the NOD32 control panel, to allow it to
    >>> connect to its service.
    >>
    >> How exactly does one do this as I installed NOD trial this morning and
    >> got
    >> that same error that it could not connect to the kernal?
    >
    > Go into the folder where you installed NOD (Should be C:\Program
    > Files\ESET\).
    > Find nod32kui.exe.
    > Right-click, Compatibility tab, "Privilege Level" section, enable "Run
    > this program as an administrator".
    > You'll have to click the "Allow" button in the escalade privileges popup
    > box when you open a session and that the NOD32 Control Panel is
    > launched, but it will be able to connect to the service.
    Great! At least it's possible to run it with UAP enabled then! :-)

  16. #16

    Superb!! At last I've got an AV that works under Vista so for that my
    greatest thanks!

    "cf" <nomail.com> wrote in message

    > NOD32 2.5 works fine with 3508 32bit, the only thing is you have to "Run
    > as Administrator" the NOD32 control panel, to allow it to connect to its
    > service.
    Daron Brewood \(MVP\) Guest