In <bp0oev$airnews.net>, Chris Cox:

[Snip...]

Please don't misquote me, and TIA. :)

I said "could go the way" in <rsc.raytheon.com>:
 [/ref]

That's a subtle but very important distinction, I think you'll agree. :)

[Snip...]

You have a couple of choices: pay the freight for whatever the commercial
market may provide, or rally the troops for some Open Source VMWare clone
project. But don't rag on VMWare for refusing to GPL their property, when
you're not willing to consider they might have other options which can be
helpful to you as well. I didn't say perfect for you; I said helpful.

Personally, I think the Fedora project and Novell/SuSE deal are much more
relevant now to Linux than VMWare gyrations, or petty Redmond bribery.

[Snip...]

Key word is "afford" here. What are you willing to pay for VMWare? You're
going to have to pay cash for someone to operate something more than just
geek charity, or convince them (not us) GPL's the bomb. They aren't going
to cotton to the idea of VMWare going warez via GPL (in their view).

[Snip...]

That's not the point. VMWare has a lot of options to continue providing a
very good product before they're stampeded into a GPL lovefest. We are in
no position to dictate their business practice, doomsday or not.

....and if the DOJ doesn't have any Sherman Antitrust objections, they are
both perfectly within their rights to pursue it. It's their laurels after
all's said and done, until SCO finds offending code. Just kidding. :)

[Snip...]

So, "their" technology, but that's never stopped things like Mozilla. You
recall obliterating Netscape had interesting unintended consequences.

[Snip...]

You're convinced it's done, and The End. It's early yet for both. :)

Pardon any bogus email addresses (mklog*) in place for spambots.
Really it's (wyrd) at raytheon, dotted with com. DO NOT SPAM IT.
Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions not Raytheon Company.