Professional Web Applications Themes

VPN for 9.2? - Mac Applications & Software

I am told by a new ISP I'm trying out that I need a VPN program to access their news servers. I've been unable to find one for 9.2. Any suggestions? Is this type of prog easy to use? Does it decrease speed? Thanks! RB...

  1. #1

    Default VPN for 9.2?

    I am told by a new ISP I'm trying out that I need a VPN program to
    access their news servers. I've been unable to find one for 9.2. Any
    suggestions? Is this type of prog easy to use? Does it decrease speed?
    Thanks!

    RB
    Rick Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: VPN for 9.2?

    In article <190920031329094545%waves>,
    "Rick B." <waves> wrote:

    Your ISP is very strange in requesting this. As you know VPN means
    Virtual Private Network and is usually used to connect a remote computer
    to some network asthough the computer were physically really "in the
    office and on the LAN". So think of it as using the Internet as a
    virtual wire or ethernet cable.

    Once connected using VPN you can then do pretty well all the things you
    would have permission to do if your computer was physically on their
    LAN, including mounting volumes, copy files etc etc.

    But to access news groups via VPN is a new one on me. Usually browsers
    or news readers are all that's needed although some servers could
    require authentication.

    Ask then why they require VPN.

    respect...

    Peter
    Peter Guest

  3. #3

    In article
    <bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>,
    Peter Teeson <com> wrote:

    > Your ISP is very strange in requesting this. As you know VPN means
    > Virtual Private Network and is usually used to connect a remote computer
    > to some network asthough the computer were physically really "in the
    > office and on the LAN". So think of it as using the Internet as a
    > virtual wire or ethernet cable.
    >
    > Once connected using VPN you can then do pretty well all the things you
    > would have permission to do if your computer was physically on their
    > LAN, including mounting volumes, copy files etc etc.
    >
    > But to access news groups via VPN is a new one on me. Usually browsers
    > or news readers are all that's needed although some servers could
    > require authentication.
    >
    > Ask then why they require VPN.[/ref]

    The situation is this: the ISP is in California and I'm in Arizona.
    I access my account through a national access number. This only allows
    me to get their own (very limited) news server, and none of the other
    three major servers they sub out to. They said it was because national
    access does not provide static IP's for those NSP's to use. If I were
    in their native territory and could dial direct, then I would have no
    problem accessing all the servers without a VPN.

    Today a different tech over there suggested running through a shell
    with an SSH client, so maybe that's another alternative. I have no
    experience with shells. My main interest in this ISP is that personal
    accounts have an 80-meg webspace, which would come in handy.

    You can see the ISP I'm talking about in my header. If anyone knows
    of another one in the PHX area that has good webspace allotment let me
    know. I was using dancris, but their bandwidth prices are out of line
    with current competition, and I keep getting booted off during peak
    hours, even with my machine at idle for a couple minutes. Dancris tech
    blames my eMac for communicating too fast with their equipment, and
    thus causing the disconnect. I don't think I buy that one. I switched
    over to v34 and it still disconnected.

    Any additional input would be appreciated.

    Rick B.
    Rick Guest

  4. #4

    > > > I am told by a new ISP I'm trying out that I need a VPN program to [/ref][/ref]
    yes easy to use. you will have to authenticate to the vpn server and you
    enter settings once in the beginning (e.g., tunnel endpoint, authentication
    method, etc.)
    yes it will decrease speed-- from negligibly to severely, depending on their
    vpn server.

    the words "shell" and "SSH" imply unix, if true and you just use the space
    as storage and web server then i would by pass the vpn client route and just
    ask:

    - if they have a secure ftp server server? If so, use secure fetch (simple
    GUI) or other secure ftp client to upload and download files.

    - if they do not ask if SCP (secure copy) is enabled: if so you can use
    nifty telnet to upload and download. the gui is VERY rudimentary but the
    program is very stable.

    hope that helps.

    hgsil Guest

  5. #5

    In article <220920031343077668%waves>, "Rick B."
    <waves> wrote:

    <snip> [/ref]

    Rick,
    If you really need to use SSH you may want to look into MacSSH. This
    little gem not only does telnet-like SSH2 connections, it also supports
    port forwarding. Thus you should be able to run any newsreader & have it
    connect through an SSH tunnel built by MacSSH & the server at the other
    end. I have done this to hook into m worksite from abroad, works very
    well. Not too slow either.

    Uli
    Uli Guest