Professional Web Applications Themes

VSS and Web apps - ASP.NET General

Anyone out there successfully using VSS to store web apps. I've tried to follow the best practices article from MS but it just doesn't work correctly. TIA Harry...

  1. #1

    Default VSS and Web apps

    Anyone out there successfully using VSS to store web apps. I've tried to
    follow the best practices article from MS but it just doesn't work
    correctly.

    TIA
    Harry

    Harry Simpson Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: VSS and Web apps

    I have been using VS .NET Enterprise Architect 2003 and VSS 6.0 and the
    integration is much better than I expected. Very easy check-in and
    check-out.

    Bryan

    "Harry Simpson" <hssimpsonnospamphgt.net> wrote in message
    > Anyone out there successfully using VSS to store web apps. I've tried to
    > follow the best practices article from MS but it just doesn't work
    > correctly.
    >
    > TIA
    > Harry

    Bryan Bolling Guest

  3. #3

    What's your problem? We've got it working here...

    Karl

    "Harry Simpson" <hssimpsonnospamphgt.net> wrote in message
    > Anyone out there successfully using VSS to store web apps. I've tried to
    > follow the best practices article from MS but it just doesn't work
    > correctly.
    >
    > TIA
    > Harry

    Karl Seguin Guest

  4. #4

    We'll we create a virtual directory for the files for IIS to point to and
    create a directory structure such as:

    C:\Projects
    C:\Projects\MySolution\
    C:\Projects\MySolution\MyProject

    Create the virtual directory to point to the last path above. Then add a
    blank solution called MySolution. To it add a web app project called
    MyProject and set the location to http:\\localhost\MyProject.

    Then I click on the solution and select Add Solution to VSS and it does just
    great. I can check it in and check it out just fine. If i check out an aspx
    page change one thing and then check it in, I always get the following
    message:
    "some reload or shell operations were cancelled or caused errors. You
    should close and reopen the solution before making further changes."
    and then appears to check everything in just fine.

    But when i go to VSS server explorer it shows
    MySolution
    MyProject
    MyProject1
    MySolution
    MySolution1

    weird eh.....I'm running 6d as a client and who knows what version is on the
    server since we've been using the same VSS database for years.....

    Any ideas?

    Harry

    "Karl Seguin" <kseguin##crea.ca> wrote in message
    > What's your problem? We've got it working here...
    >
    > Karl
    >
    > "Harry Simpson" <hssimpsonnospamphgt.net> wrote in message
    > > Anyone out there successfully using VSS to store web apps. I've tried
    > > follow the best practices article from MS but it just doesn't work
    > > correctly.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > Harry

    Harry Simpson Guest

  5. #5

    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?[/url]
    url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/tdlg_rm.asp

    dave Guest

  6. #6

    We followed the article quite closely (except for the number of servers) and
    the system has worked very well.

    "Harry Simpson" <hssimpsonnospamphgt.net> wrote in message
    Anyone out there successfully using VSS to store web apps. I've tried to
    follow the best practices article from MS but it just doesn't work
    correctly.

    TIA
    Harry

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP] Guest

  7. #7

    Ken,

    I followed the article closely too. It did work initially other than
    getting an information message:
    "Some reload or shell operations were cancelled or caused errors. You
    should close and reopen the solution before making further changes."
    occasionally.

    I was running VSS 6a to start and it seemed to work ok cept for the above
    message.

    I upgraded my VSS 6d and ran into an issue whereby the project was added to
    sourcesafe db from the project and appeared added correctly.

    MyWebAppSolution
    MyWebApp
    MyWebAppSolution

    Then I'd ceck out the project but when I checked it back in it would create
    a duplicate of the subdirectories as follows:

    MyWebAppSolution
    MyWebApp
    MyWebApp_1
    MyWebAppSolution
    MyWebAppSolution_1

    weird eh.....

    Harry

    "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <BANSPAMken_coxsympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > We followed the article quite closely (except for the number of servers)
    and
    > the system has worked very well.
    >
    > "Harry Simpson" <hssimpsonnospamphgt.net> wrote in message
    > Anyone out there successfully using VSS to store web apps. I've tried to
    > follow the best practices article from MS but it just doesn't work
    > correctly.
    >
    > TIA
    > Harry

    Harry Simpson Guest

  8. #8

    Also,

    When i first add the project to VSS database it suggests the name
    MyWebAppSolution.root

    Why does it try to add ".root" to the solution name??

    TIA

    Harry

    > Ken,
    >
    > I followed the article closely too. It did work initially other than
    > getting an information message:
    > "Some reload or shell operations were cancelled or caused errors. You
    > should close and reopen the solution before making further changes."
    > occasionally.
    >
    > I was running VSS 6a to start and it seemed to work ok cept for the above
    > message.
    >
    > I upgraded my VSS 6d and ran into an issue whereby the project was added
    > sourcesafe db from the project and appeared added correctly.
    >
    > MyWebAppSolution
    > MyWebApp
    > MyWebAppSolution
    >
    > Then I'd ceck out the project but when I checked it back in it would
    create
    > a duplicate of the subdirectories as follows:
    >
    > MyWebAppSolution
    > MyWebApp
    > MyWebApp_1
    > MyWebAppSolution
    > MyWebAppSolution_1
    >
    > weird eh.....
    >
    > Harry
    >
    > "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <BANSPAMken_coxsympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > > We followed the article quite closely (except for the number of servers)
    > and
    > > the system has worked very well.
    > >
    > > "Harry Simpson" <hssimpsonnospamphgt.net> wrote in message
    > > Anyone out there successfully using VSS to store web apps. I've tried
    > > follow the best practices article from MS but it just doesn't work
    > > correctly.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > Harry

    Harry Simpson Guest