Professional Web Applications Themes

w3d mesh has wrong numer of points - Macromedia Director 3D

Hi all When i create a simple object in Lightwave and export it as a w3d, the number of faces and vertices in Director do not match the number of points and polygons in Lightwave. Even when i create a simple tripled cube with 12 polygons and 8 points in LW i can get anything from 10 to 12 faces and 8 to 24 vertices in Director - for the life of me i can't get a one to one match which i need to manipulate the object correctly. The object has only a single surface and i've tried it ...

  1. #1

    Default w3d mesh has wrong numer of points

    Hi all

    When i create a simple object in Lightwave and export it as a w3d, the
    number of faces and vertices in Director do not match the number of points
    and polygons in Lightwave. Even when i create a simple tripled cube with 12
    polygons and 8 points in LW i can get anything from 10 to 12 faces and 8 to
    24 vertices in Director - for the life of me i can't get a one to one match
    which i need to manipulate the object correctly.

    The object has only a single surface and i've tried it as quads, tripled and
    tried it with merged points and without but no luck - believe me i've tried
    creating around 100 different objects in the last 2 days to nail this one.
    The odd thing is the object looks fine in Director, but when i check for the
    existence of points i know must be there (otherwise it wouldn't look right)
    by going thru the vertexList and checking the positions, they don't exist!

    So, has anybody come across this issue and ever found a solution. Also, if
    there's anybody out there who uses Max or Maya and knows for a fact that
    objects are exported accurately from these programs then please let us know.

    Cheers
    Paul

    mocoda Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: w3d mesh has wrong numer of points

    Hi there,

    I work with Lightwave8 for w3D content and found exactly the same problem a
    couple of years back. Sadly I have not found a reason, or a solution. I just
    wanted to say you're not going insane. (unless we both are of course).

    A partial work around is to either generate the mesh to manipulate using
    lingo yourself (if it is simple geometry), or apply weight mapped bones in
    lightwave to the points you need to move, and move the bones directly using
    lingo.

    Cheers

    Richard Smith
    www.funpods.com

    Richard Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the info Richard... i was starting to doubt my sanity!

    Both your workaround suggetsions may work for what i'm doing - i'm also
    curious to know if other programs such as Max and Maya have the same problem
    when exported to w3d.

    Cheers
    Paul

    "Richard" <com> wrote in message

    mocoda Guest

  4. #4

    Hi,

    We use Max here and unfortenately we experience the same problems. The models
    look normal, but the amount of vertices just differs with the amount in 3ds
    max. Even up to a point that a model has more vertices than it could/should
    actually have. For example a standard triangulated teapot in 3ds max has 1024
    polygons. If each polygon has a unique set of vertices (3 per polygon) I should
    have 3072 vertices. However, in DIrector it sometimes comes up with over 3200
    vertices. No idea how... The way you've unwrapped your model also seems to be a
    factor of different vertex counts.

    Polycount seems to behave rather strange as well. If the model you export (3ds
    max) is an "editable mesh" different polycounts occur. When the model is an
    "editable poly" the amount of polygons are the same. I just tested this with
    two standard teapots in 3ds max.

    Don't forget to turn of LOD of the models, if you haven't done so already.
    These settings can adjust polycount, as well as having a 3d member open on
    stage or only ("closed") in your cast.

    I did manage to export models with exactly the same amount of vertices and
    polygons in 3dsmax and Director. In 3ds max I triangulate all models and break
    all vertices. Each face/polygon than has an unique set of vertices. When
    exporting the amount of polygons/vertices are the same. However, it is not
    recommended using this technique a lot. It creates larger datasets for your
    models (more vertices than you'd actually need) and you lose "smoothing" so
    everything will look flatshaded. We only break models when they will be using
    lightmaps. This way we can make sure the amount is the same and results can be
    predictable.

    These are my findings a bit. Don't know if they are of any help. If anybody
    else has any inof/tips on this it might be a good idea to share it. I don't
    think it can be fixed, but with more info we could actually make it more
    predictable or even work around it.

    Cheers
    Pieter

    PpHammer Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks for the info Pieter... it's handy to know that Max behaves much the
    same.

    I'm sure someone must have solved this problem at some point as I would have
    thought dynamically manipulating vertices in a mesh imported from an
    external program would be an occasional requirement. However, for my project
    I think I will go down the route of creating the mesh in Director as it's
    fairly simple and that way I know the vertices are exactly where I need
    them.

    Cheers
    Paul

    mocoda Guest

  6. #6

    I have discover that the number of vertices depends of the sorting or arranging
    in the texture coordinates system (also known UVW map). You know a vertex can
    be breaked so it can be in 2 places of the texture at the same time. For the
    CAD software (LW, 3DSMAX) it is still one vertex. For the exporter they are
    two.

    The solution is to play around with meshDeform modifier. Access vertexlist,
    texturecorrdinatelist, etc. see help.

    ensamblador Guest

  7. #7

    For me the issue is that the object can have different number of vertices
    reported each time you export it, seemingly at random, even if no changes
    have been made to the object or UVW map.

    Thanks for the info though.

    Richard Smith

    Richard Guest

  8. #8

    There's a couple of things which can cause the vertex count to vary:

    1) models *are* affected by LOD even if the modifier isn't applied. The
    modifier simply allows you to modify the LOD settings. From the director help
    page regarding "lod (modifier)":

    "All such models use detail reduction whether or not the lod modifier is
    attached. Attaching the modifier allows you to control the properties of detail
    reduction."

    To remove the effect of lod, it is necessary to *add* the lod modifier, then
    set the settings like this:

    myModel.lod.auto = false
    myModel.lod.level = 100

    You may also find you need a frame update with the w3d on stage for these
    settings to 'take'.

    2) If you are using custom UV coordinates, and your particular mapping means
    that a given vertex may be used by a number of faces, each of which has
    different uv coordinates, the vertex may have to be included a number of times,
    once for each different set of UV coordinates that are required by each face
    that makes use of it. Eg, one vertex (corner) of a cube is used by 3 faces of
    that cube. If each face has unique UV coordinates, then that vertex will be
    included 3 times, once for each set of UV coords for each face.

    hope this helps!

    - Ben

    duckets Guest