Professional Web Applications Themes

W3d with transparent textures will be brokentransmission problems - Macromedia Director 3D

W3d with transparent textures will be broken transmission problems When the W3D models have Texture with alpha channel, It will be Crusher and Transmittance (Showing the bottom), If not alpha it will be normal! please tell me why,Thanks snap: have alpha channel? http://www.aougu.net/bbs/attachment.php?aid=12512&noupdate=yes no alpha channel?normal?? http://www.aougu.net/bbs/attachment.php?aid=12658&noupdate=yes 3d model Source file? http://www.3dzone.cn/beijixiong.zip...

  1. #1

    Default W3d with transparent textures will be brokentransmission problems

    W3d with transparent textures will be broken transmission problems

    When the W3D models have Texture with alpha channel, It will be Crusher and
    Transmittance (Showing the bottom), If not alpha it will be normal! please tell
    me why,Thanks

    snap:

    have alpha channel?
    http://www.aougu.net/bbs/attachment.php?aid=12512&noupdate=yes

    no alpha channel?normal??
    http://www.aougu.net/bbs/attachment.php?aid=12658&noupdate=yes

    3d model Source file?
    http://www.3dzone.cn/beijixiong.zip

    canceri007 Guest

  2. #2

    Could you post your w3d file so we can see if it's reproducable and maybe figure out what is wrong.

    Btw Why would you need transparancy on the texture anyway?
    multiduck Guest

  3. #3

    yes! here (W3D file)

    3d model Source file & W3D file?
    http://www.3dzone.cn/beijixiong.zip

    hope your help
    canceri007 Guest

  4. #4

    As far as I can tell it's an issue with how the max exporter handles dds
    textures, using Maya 7 it exported just fine.

    And looking at the texture in photoshop I can't see any transparency so I'd
    suggest avoiding using dds textures, use png if transparency is needed.

    multiduck Guest

  5. #5

    Maya 7 ok?? i see!
    at 3d max any alpha texture (png,tga,dds,tif,??) will be error?

    canceri007 Guest

  6. #6

    what appears to be a problem really isnt when you preview your models with the
    exporter from max. the models with textures may look broken or have holes in
    them. thats because of the way they get imported in director. with shader
    transparency on, and model visibility set to front. once its in director. you
    can use 3dpi and turn transparency off and that will clear up the problem or
    visiblity to both

    tyree_2 Guest

  7. #7

    No alpha should work with max if you use another texture format, it's dds
    that's giving you trouble: Png, tga and tiff should work just fine. And don't
    forget you can always apply the texture in director with just a couple of lines
    of lingo code to make sure it works the way you want it.

    Tyree, no it's not that, I tested the w3d file in director with 3DPI, it's
    almost certainly an exporter related issue. It most likely depends how the
    exporter converts the dds texture since it's not a supported director format.
    And turning of transparency won't work for the scarecrow since it uses
    transparency on the hands.

    multiduck Guest

  8. #8

    I was referring to his last post which says any format with an alpha will not work in max
    tyree_2 Guest

  9. #9

    Ah ok, we agree then. :)

    canceri007 could assign a shader for the hands, but having a second shader
    would create an additional submesh which would impair performance, especially
    if there are several instances of the same model in the world..

    multiduck Guest

  10. #10

    any alpha type is not work...
    here is new model with png,tga,tiff,dds.... you can test it.
    http://www.3dzone.cn/scarecrow.rar

    multiduck , add a second shader to the model? how to do it? in Director? or in
    3d Maxs? if in Director how to do it? Could you tell the steps detailed. Thanks
    very much!

    canceri007 Guest

  11. #11

    you do it in max it should be in the help file
    tyree_2 Guest

  12. #12

    Ok, I don't know why but i seems to be related to how you combined the model,
    Maya has a "feature" to separate combined models (models that are just stuck
    together, ie the vertexes don't connect between the separate parts) and groups
    them together.

    I did this and exported again (the exporter combines grouped models at export)
    this time it works as i should.

    So take a look on how you create your models and at the same time you can
    optimize the model as there are polygons you can remove since they won't be
    visible anyway.

    If you don't have the time to do what I mentioned above then duplicate the
    material you are using and assign the new material to the polygons on the hat
    and hands (creating a new shader in director), this will also solve your
    problem but will cause some performance degradation.

    multiduck Guest

  13. #13

    ok... i see....
    I think the only way is to report to Adobe.
    but my english is not good and i don't how to contact they...
    Frustrating.. T_T

    canceri007 Guest

  14. #14

    As we have written you can get it to work. Just do one of the following.

    1. Make the model a complete mesh. no parts just stuck into others. Make sure
    vertecies are welded together properly etc.
    2. a) Separate the head,hat,hands etc b) group them together c) export (the
    exporter will combine them into one model again).
    3. a) Assign a non transparent texture to your model, b) select the polygons
    that needs transparency, c) assign the transparent texture to those polygons
    4. Outsource the importing of models to someone else.

    I used method 2 as I mentioned in an earlier post and got it to work, here is
    the result. http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5861/withtranspkl2.jpg

    The url to report bugs to adobe was recently posted, use the search function.

    multiduck Guest

  15. #15

    Thanks multiduck, this is very detailed.

    But, you mean is use two texture? one alpha(use to head,hat,hands etc),one no
    alpha(use to the body)?

    This is not a solution to the root of the problem..

    i have a lot of models will use alpha texture, and those models is very
    complicated(most to using alpha texture).

    so...this is not efficiency...

    thank you again : )

    canceri007 Guest

  16. #16

    We'll try this again, this is how I fixed the scarecrow as shown in my earlier
    posted image. (the second method mentioned)

    Step 1: Find the max command for separate elements, detach I think, check with
    an experience max user.
    Step 2: If the separate parts aren't grouped, group them
    Step 3: Name the group to what you want it to be referenced by in director
    Step 4: Export

    That's it. 30 seconds at most from start to finish, you really shouldn't have
    any problems with it if you are a Max user.

    multiduck Guest

  17. #17

    I'm using your method now....
    but it not work fine,this is a problem of Z-buffer in Shockwave..

    Another, What their response at your report to the Adobe after?

    canceri007 Guest

  18. #18

    Z fighting is another issue. At no time can you have one model hierarchy with
    transparency within the bounding box of another that also has transparency. If
    you can't avoid this it's a hit and miss affair on how the result will be that
    also depends on the end users graphics card and render api.

    This is particularly troublesome if you use directors built in particle system
    as I believe it creates abounding box around all particles and not around
    individual particles.

    Fog will also give you problems, especially with shaders that use #add in it's
    blend list.

    multiduck Guest