Professional Web Applications Themes

Wacom Graphire tablets for dust removal on scanned photos - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I am contemplating the purchase of a tablet for use with Photoshop Elements 2. I would like some feedback on how well the graphire line would work for basic photoediting such as selecting photograph sections and dust/scratch removal. When I look on the WACOM page the only line that is suggested for dust removal is the Intuos line?...

  1. #1

    Default Wacom Graphire tablets for dust removal on scanned photos

    Gregory_Hart@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Gregory,

    I know of no reason that a Graphire would not be suitable for the purposes
    you describe.

    I think that, in general, the Intuos line is "better" because it is more
    sensitive (1024 vs 512 pressure levels). But I don't know if I could see
    the difference between two of the 512 levels, let alone half of the
    difference.

    The Intuos has some dedicated tablet area for function buttons, which looks
    nice. It also is sensitive to pen angle, which the Graphire is not. There
    may also be a greater variety of tools available to work with on the Intuos,
    whereas, I believe, the Graphire only works with the pen/stylus.

    Although I've never used an Intuos, I have no regrets about purchasing my
    Graphire2 4x5.

    Byron

    Byron_Gale@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    There may also be a greater variety of tools available to work with on
    the Intuos, whereas, I believe, the Graphire only works with the pen/stylus.

    The Graphire also has a mouse, for whatever that's worth.
    George_Slusher@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Gregory,

    I have the graphire 4x5 tablet and it is entirely adequate for all those
    tasks and more.

    Wacom has now introduced a new 6x8 graphire tablet (at double the cost of
    the graphire 4x5, and the same as the 4x5 Intuos) for those that want a
    larger sized tablet.

    I've found 4x5 to be entirely workable and don't need a larger tablet. But,
    as they say, "your milage may vary."

    The Intuos has a higher resolution in both positioning and pressure and can
    even detect the angle you're holding the pen. If you are a graphics artist
    drawing original art by hand, this may give you an advantage. However, I've
    never felt I needed those extras and the 512 resolution feels adequate to
    me.

    RobertHJones@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    If you have enough money to spare, buy and Intuos; if you need the functions available on an Intuos that are not available on a Graphire, you're not likely using Photoshop Elements.

    I've had the original Graphire for years and used it exclusively after injuries in a bad car accident made it painful and difficult for me to use a regular mouse (I had to learn to use it left-handed because I couldn't use my right arm)

    I continued to use it for photo editing and it did a commendable job. Recently, I was away from home with my laptop and the Graphire tablet but no stylus (the stylus was on the desk at home) so I treated myself to a new Grahpire III and am really pleased with it.

    The new Graphire III seems much smoother and more accurate than the old one. I like it!!

    Margaret
    margaret_brock@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Does Wacom have a retail outlet somewhere in the Los Angeles area where I can try both the Graphire and the Intuos? I've never used a tablet before and, although I've read some positive testimonials to their use, would love to see if it's worth the $200 or so price.
    Ken_Wolin@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Do you have a CompUSA? According to the Wacom site, they carry them, although I don't know how big the selection would be. Also, if you go to the Wacom site, there is a way to see a list of retail outlets.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Ken,

    I'm north of you by a few hundred miles (Stockton area), and the Wacom
    tablets are carried in CompUSA and, just recently, I've seen the Graphire in
    Best Buy.

    Neither store, though, has them opened where you can fiddle with them, like
    they do with the various mice.

  9. #9

    I'm right near a few of the major CompUSA/BestBuy/OfficeDepot-ish places, but I'm really looking for a place where I can pick up a stylus to see and feel what it's all about.
    Ken_Wolin@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Ken, I'm not sure about the new Wacom tablets, but my son brought me an older Wacom last week that he wasn't using any more. The stylus with that one looks just like a ballpoint pen and is almost exactly the same size, too. I'm still getting used to it and finding it's a little bit difficult for me to control. Of course it's already been determined that I'm weird, so you'd probably love it! :)
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Beth, did your son bring you his old Wacom because he liked it enough to buy a new one or because he gave up on it and figured you could get more out of it than he?
    Ken_Wolin@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Neither of the above, actually. He said it was fun and easy to use, but he's got so many other projects going that the Wacom was just sitting in a drawer. Since he hadn't used it in a couple of years, he knew I'd get more out of it than him.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Beth,

    No, you're not weird. I have the same trouble with my 4x5 Tablet and Stylus. Mine was packaged with an IBM Microdrive made by some manufacturer under license. There was no instruction manual except for a disk for the driver, which was really out of date. Downloading an update driver crashed my puter, twice. Addtional attempts turned out the same way. Maneuvering the Stylus on the Tablet was like trying to paint on a wall with a soft string and, when it finally caught some traction, the cursor darts around disproportionate to the Stylus travel and not always in the direction I wanted! These days, the Tablet takes the place of honor on my teeny desktop as my mouse pad. :}

    Shan
    Shan_Ko@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Beth,

    Have you calibrated your tablet for your own pressure sensitivity? I don't know where they put it
    on a Mac, but for Windows, it's in the control panel. Also, if the tablet is too close to the
    monitor (within 6 inches or less), the cursor will jump around when both using and not using it. If
    it's your case, move asside a little.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  15. #15

    Thanks for the tip about calibrating the sensitivity. I'll see if I can find any way to do it, although this tablet is pretty old in "tech years" (which are even worse than dog years in terms of aging.) I know it's not too close to the monitor, because the monitor hangs on the wall. :)
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Talking about old tables, mine will turn 4 y.o. in next year I think. As long as you got the latest
    drivers, I think you'll be safe Beth.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  17. #17

    Ray,

    My computer crashed each time I downloaded the Wacom Tablet driver update. Maybe I got the wrong one. My 4"x5" Tablet is almost three years old, Model ET-0405A-U, and I suspect is the same one you have.
    Could you please let me know which Driver you downloaded?
    Please email me at:- net. Thanks.

  18. #18

    Wow, the model number for mine is really close to that - CT 0405 -U. Interesting. Of course I'm not going to send you the link to the driver I use, because I've got a Mac. Hopefully Ray will help on this.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Shan, I sent you a note a few seconds ago.

    Ray Guest

  20. #20

    Ray, got your email. Thanks.

    Shan