Professional Web Applications Themes

Wacom Intuos2 pen problems in FHMX 11.0.2 - Macromedia Freehand

If anyone can use the Intuos2 pen with FHMX 11.0.2, Mac OS X, trouble-free, I'd be happy to learn that it's possible. Drawing is fine. My problems are when making selections in the list panels -- color swatches, styles and layers. 1. If I create a new doc with new colors and start drawing, then the colors apply correctly until I start working with layers or styles. Then the colors in the swatches list become balky and refuse to apply when selected with the pen. 2. Objects sent to a different layer frequently refuse to move. (I have the pref ...

  1. #1

    Default Wacom Intuos2 pen problems in FHMX 11.0.2

    If anyone can use the Intuos2 pen with FHMX 11.0.2, Mac OS X, trouble-free,
    I'd be happy to learn that it's possible.

    Drawing is fine. My problems are when making selections in the list panels
    -- color swatches, styles and layers.

    1. If I create a new doc with new colors and start drawing, then the colors
    apply correctly until I start working with layers or styles. Then the colors
    in the swatches list become balky and refuse to apply when selected with the
    pen.

    2. Objects sent to a different layer frequently refuse to move. (I have the
    pref 'Clicking on layer name moves object' enabled.)

    3. Styles only apply when they feel like it which is less than half the
    time.

    The Wacom mouse works fine most of the time, but after some pen balkiness
    with a selected object, I've even had problems changing colors with a mouse
    click.

    I've no problems at all using the pen to select layers or actions in
    Photoshop CS. No problems selecting messages in Entourage. No problems
    selecting links in Safari.

    I tested with the tablet plugged directly into the machine or plugged into
    my Belkin powered USB hub. Makes no difference.

    My Graphire2 tablet works fine with FHMX 11.0.1 on my iBook, but the
    Graphire2 pen is also balky on my G4 with FHMX 11.0.2.

    Do I have a bad tablet? Bad USB? Is FHMX 11.0.2 the problem?

    Anyone else?

    Judy Arndt
    --
    FHMX 11.0.2 (Build 92)
    Mac G4, OS 10.3.2

    Judy Arndt Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Wacom Intuos2 pen problems in FHMX 11.0.2

    Judy Arndt wrote:
    > If anyone can use the Intuos2 pen with FHMX 11.0.2, Mac OS X, trouble-free,
    > I'd be happy to learn that it's possible.
    > I've no problems at all using the pen to select layers or actions in
    > Photoshop CS. No problems selecting messages in Entourage. No problems
    > selecting links in Safari.
    > My Graphire2 tablet works fine with FHMX 11.0.1 on my iBook, but the
    > Graphire2 pen is also balky on my G4 with FHMX 11.0.2.
    >
    > Do I have a bad tablet? Bad USB? Is FHMX 11.0.2 the problem?
    >
    > Anyone else?
    I hear you about that. I've written to the "wishlist" about this before
    and I've worked with Wacom techs a couple of times trying to figure this
    out. Cursing breaks out randomly in the office I work in when someone
    finally boils over and has to cool off (not just this problem with
    Freehand but it is a common one as we all use Wacom tablets.)

    We didn't have this problem with Freehand 9 in Mac OS 9. And, as you
    said, it doesn't happen in other programs like those from that company
    that starts with "A".
    Wes Rand Guest

  3. #3

    Same problem here.
    It used to be; select the item then click on the layer you want it sent to.
    Now; decide which layer you want the item sent to, deselect all, click on the
    target layer (sometimes two or three times, until that punk-a$$ pen icon moves
    to the right layer), select the item you want moved, then use the option menu
    for the layers pallette and select "move objects to current layer."
    Turns even the simplest task into a three minute swear-o-rama?.
    This still doesn't address the failure to apply fills or strokes that
    sometimes arises as well.
    A few more features like these and I may be able to work all day and still not
    finish a project. That would be cool.

    BAD

    arrowd Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks for the feedback, guys. At least I know I'm not alone in my
    frustration. It makes me wonder if FH can't interpret the input from the
    larger number of pressure sensitivities in the Intuos. If it's not on 'the
    list' of recognized pressures does FHMX simply ignore the click?

    Judy Arndt

  5. #5

    Judy Arndt wrote:
    > Thanks for the feedback, guys. At least I know I'm not alone in my
    > frustration. It makes me wonder if FH can't interpret the input from the
    > larger number of pressure sensitivities in the Intuos. If it's not on 'the
    > list' of recognized pressures does FHMX simply ignore the click?
    Hmmmm. I'm off to make some more wishlist submissions so I'll be sure to
    add this one. But the clicking works fine in every other program (even
    simple little shareware programs.) So Freehand must be doing something
    different than other programs. Is the "click" determined by the Wacom
    driver or does Freehand do its own interpretation of that? Hopefully the
    Macromedia programmers can get around to doing some trouble shooting on
    this.
    Wes Rand Guest