Professional Web Applications Themes

Wallpaper options in System Preferences - Mac Applications & Software

Running 10.2.6 on a PB G4. In the Desktop pane of System Preferences, I sometimes see options to control how the wallpaper is displayed ("Stretch", "Stretch to fit", "Center", etc.). The problem is that these options are not always presented, and I have some wallpapers I need them for, and the options don't display for those wallpapers. Is there any way to make the options 'stick' so that that they appear all the time? Thanks, PLM...

  1. #1

    Default Wallpaper options in System Preferences

    Running 10.2.6 on a PB G4. In the Desktop pane of System Preferences, I
    sometimes see options to control how the wallpaper is displayed
    ("Stretch", "Stretch to fit", "Center", etc.).

    The problem is that these options are not always presented, and I have
    some wallpapers I need them for, and the options don't display for those
    wallpapers.

    Is there any way to make the options 'stick' so that that they appear all
    the time?

    Thanks,

    PLM

    PLM Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Wallpaper options in System Preferences

    In article <com>,
    "PLM" <com> wrote:

    I wonder if they are not appearing for image file formats which Quartz
    wont speed the scaling of? Can you confirm that you have different file
    formats which behave differently?

    --
    Heath
    | *Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool* |

  3. #3

    On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 21:56:00 +1000, Heath Raftery wrote:

    > I wonder if they are not appearing for image file formats which Quartz
    > wont speed the scaling of? Can you confirm that you have different file
    > formats which behave differently?[/ref]

    I thought of that, but I'm unable to locate any papers for which the
    options always appear or don't appear. It seems to be a "mode" of some
    type that the preferences panel enters, which then displays the option for
    every wallpaper. Other times, the mode is off, and the options don't
    appear for any wallpapers.

    The really irritating thing about this is that when the mode is "off" (no
    options appear), the default display selection is often not to "tile"
    certain papers I have that only make sense as tiled papers. For the Mac
    to resize a very small paper to a huge size and then not to offer any
    other options, when it clearly has the ability to do so, doesn't make any
    sense at all.

    Thanks for your reply - I am still looking for the answer to this
    perplexing problem.

    PLM
    PLM Guest

  4. #4

    On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 21:56:00 +1000, Heath Raftery wrote:

    > I wonder if they are not appearing for image file formats which Quartz
    > wont speed the scaling of? Can you confirm that you have different file
    > formats which behave differently?[/ref]

    Ok - I think I've found the problem, but I'd appreciate independent
    verification of whether it's just my system or a general behavior.

    It appears to be a file-owner or permissions issue.

    I do *not* see the options if I select a directory in the /Library/Desktop
    Pictures/ hierarchy (which has -rw-rw-r-- permissions and root/admin
    ownership for files and -drwxrwxr-x and root/admin ownership for
    directories).

    If I copy the hierarchy to ~/Library, however, I *do* see the wallpaper
    display options.

    I don't totally understand groups and ownership (I believe my userid is a
    member of the "admin" group for example, yet I don't see the options when
    I am in the /Library/Desktop Pictures hierarchy, which would appear to
    make me an owner via my group membership), so I can't explain this
    behavior.

    Does anyone else see this behavior, or understand what's going on? Why
    would I need to be the owner of an image file just to open up the options
    to stretch or tile it when using it as wallpaper? And doesn't my
    membership in the "admin" group give me those owner rights in
    /Library/Desktop Pictures anyway? What changes when I copy the folders to
    ~/Library?

    TIA for any info.

    PLM
    PLM Guest