Professional Web Applications Themes

Wallstreet disk corruption problem - Mac Portable

In article <uXP1b.7779$99.1624fe03.atl2.webusenet.com>, Trashy Girl <replytomethenewsgroup.youidiot> wrote: > Questions: > -Does anybody have any ideas on why I keep on getting disk corruption > for no good reason? > -What version of Diskwarrior will I need to boot this computer under > 9.1? I presume that verson 2.0 is insufficient... 2.1? I don't know for sure. Ask Alsoft. > -Would using HFS instead of HFS+ have any better chance of keeping this > thing up? No, I don't think so. > -Does partitioning the disk into two sections increase the chances that > I will get hard drive corruption? I ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Wallstreet disk corruption problem

    In article <uXP1b.7779$99.1624fe03.atl2.webusenet.com>,
    Trashy Girl <replytomethenewsgroup.youidiot> wrote:
    > Questions:
    > -Does anybody have any ideas on why I keep on getting disk corruption
    > for no good reason?
    > -What version of Diskwarrior will I need to boot this computer under
    > 9.1? I presume that verson 2.0 is insufficient...
    2.1? I don't know for sure. Ask Alsoft.

    > -Would using HFS instead of HFS+ have any better chance of keeping this
    > thing up?
    No, I don't think so.

    > -Does partitioning the disk into two sections increase the chances that
    > I will get hard drive corruption? I have been using two partitions
    > (however when it crashes, neither of them will boot it usually)
    No. What it does is make it less likely that disk corruption will get
    ALL your data. My Wallstreet, and other machines, are multiply
    partitioned for that reason. User data is SEPARATE from operating
    systems, which is ALSO separate from highly volatile data.

    > -Should I try a new hard drive and see if that helps? (I have done hard
    > drive diagnostics from the apple drive utility and it says the disk has
    > no bad blocks.)
    Then I wouldn't worry about the drive as such.

    > Thanks in advance for any tips, this is getting very frustrating.
    Sounds that way!

    I assume you've been making frequent backups, or it'd be worse.

    I'd be looking mainly at your software: apps, extensions, control
    panels, etcetera. "Is there something flaky here" should be the big
    question.

    MacOS 9.1 is probably a reasonable OS to run on your Wallstreet. If you
    were to go higher, you'd really want a CPU upgrade like the one I put in
    mine. OTOH, if you can survive with 8.6, well, it's got a better rep
    for stability.

    --
    Today, on Paper-view: Pulp Fiction!
    Howard S Shubs Guest

  2. #2

    In article <KKS1b.5958$jd.5231fe02.atl2.webusenet.com>,
    Trashy Girl <replytomethenewsgroup.youidiot> wrote:
    > This makes me
    > suspicious that I DO have a bad drive. Further comments?
    Is it really noisy or making unusual noises?

  3. #3

    > In article <KKS1b.5958$jd.5231fe02.atl2.webusenet.com>,
    > Trashy Girl <replytomethenewsgroup.youidiot> wrote:
    > > This makes me
    > > suspicious that I DO have a bad drive. Further comments?

    In article <howard-49ABB5.20113423082003enews.newsguy.com>,
    Howard S Shubs <howardshubs.net> wrote:
    > Is it really noisy or making unusual noises?
    No, it just makes the "parking" sounds that one normally hears on these
    drives. When it's coming up after a crash and trying to boot (but
    can't), you hear all sorts of faint scratchy noises while it's trying to
    access the drive, however. Not loud, just whispery, kind of. And then I
    get the famous flashing ?-mark and I have to wipe and re-install all
    over again.
    --
    Trashy Girl

    Trashy Girl Guest

  4. #4

    In article <x202b.2443$sm2.1037fe05.atl2.webusenet.com>,
    Trashy Girl <replytomethenewsgroup.youidiot> wrote:
    > No, it just makes the "parking" sounds that one normally hears on these
    Uh, WHAT parking sounds? The drive should be effectively silent.

  5. #5

    > In article <x202b.2443$sm2.1037fe05.atl2.webusenet.com>,
    > Trashy Girl <replytomethenewsgroup.youidiot> wrote:
    > > No, it just makes the "parking" sounds that one normally hears on these

    In article <howard-392EE4.11003724082003enews.newsguy.com>,
    Howard S Shubs <howardshubs.net> wrote:
    > Uh, WHAT parking sounds? The drive should be effectively silent.
    You know, the "clunking" that the drive normally does. At least, mine
    has always done it. There is software that stops it, I have used it in
    the past. APM Tuner, I think it is.
    --
    Trashy Girl

    Trashy Girl Guest

  6. #6

    In article <kja2b.8630$lq.6971fe04.atl2.webusenet.com>,
    Trashy Girl <replytomethenewsgroup.youidiot> wrote:
    > You know, the "clunking" that the drive normally does. At least, mine
    > has always done it.
    <shrug> Can't say I've heard every drive made w/in the last few years.
    Beyond what I've said, I can't do much w/o being there.

  7. #7

    << You know, the "clunking" that the drive normally does. At least, mine
    has always done it. >>

    Trashy-

    Your description of the parking sound is familiar. Even if you have a bad
    drive, a good replacement may very well have the same clunking.

    My Wallstreet 300 is on its third HD. The original 8 GB and its 10 GB
    replacement had different problems, and the technician was able to recover all
    the data. It wasn't clear to me that I had a bad drive in either case, but the
    technician had an HD utility that was able to diagnose a problem. The second
    lasted a couple of years before it started acting funny.

    If it were me, I'd go ahead and get a new HD. I'd use it as an opportunity to
    get one with higher capacity. The latest one in my Wallstreet is about 30 GB,
    as I recall.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie Guest

  8. #8

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:26:06 -0700, Fred McKenzie wrote
    (in message <20030828132606.07564.00000057mb-m17.aol.com>):
    > << You know, the "clunking" that the drive normally does. At least, mine
    > has always done it. >>
    >
    > Trashy-
    >
    > Your description of the parking sound is familiar. Even if you have a bad
    > drive, a good replacement may very well have the same clunking.
    The "chickety-chick" kind of accessing sound. My Wall Street makes the same
    sounds, and it doesn't have any drive problems. (My PB FireWire G3,
    however... that's another story!)

    The failure of one of your partitions sounds like there's an intermittent
    error (checking with Disk First Aid shows no problems; then you can't install
    9.1...) that I think indicates imminent drive failure.

    I replaced my last drive with an IBM Travelstar. These are *very* quiet and
    reliable, IMO.

    Good luck, Trashy.

    Dave

    DaveC Guest

  9. #9

    "Fred McKenzie" <fmmckaol.com> wrote in message
    > << You know, the "clunking" that the drive normally does. At least, mine
    > has always done it. >>
    >
    > Trashy-
    >
    > Your description of the parking sound is familiar. Even if you have a bad
    > drive, a good replacement may very well have the same clunking.
    >
    > My Wallstreet 300 is on its third HD. The original 8 GB and its 10 GB
    > replacement had different problems, and the technician was able to recover
    all
    > the data. It wasn't clear to me that I had a bad drive in either case,
    but the
    > technician had an HD utility that was able to diagnose a problem. The
    second
    > lasted a couple of years before it started acting funny.
    >
    > If it were me, I'd go ahead and get a new HD. I'd use it as an
    opportunity to
    > get one with higher capacity. The latest one in my Wallstreet is about 30
    GB,
    > as I recall.
    >
    > Fred

    Heat problems? This often leads to disk warping and the inevitable
    clicking/clunking sound. How hot does your Wallstreet get?

    rtt Guest