Professional Web Applications Themes

Wallstreet Floppy drive - Mac Applications & Software

My Wallstreet Powerbook did not come with a floppy drive and I recently needed access to a floppy disk so I purchased one on eBay. I received the drive, but cannot get the machine to recognize it; it does not show up in System Profiler or Disk First Aid and it does not read the floppy for which I bought the drive. The seller says that he checked the drive and it's supposed to be in good working order. The seller has offered to check the drive if I return it and will refund the purchase price (minus the shipping ...

  1. #1

    Default Wallstreet Floppy drive

    My Wallstreet Powerbook did not come with a floppy drive and I recently
    needed access to a floppy disk so I purchased one on eBay. I received
    the drive, but cannot get the machine to recognize it; it does not show
    up in System Profiler or Disk First Aid and it does not read the floppy
    for which I bought the drive. The seller says that he checked the drive
    and it's supposed to be in good working order. The seller has offered to
    check the drive if I return it and will refund the purchase price (minus
    the shipping fee) if it is not working or will return the drive to me
    (with an additional shipping fee) if the drive works. I am trying to
    discover if there is any other test that I can perform on my Wallstreet
    to confirm that the drive does NOT work prior to returning it. I only
    have the one Mac floppy (though plenty of blank disks); it seems to me
    that I should be able to format a floppy using Disk First Aid if the
    drive is working.

    Any hints or tips on diagnosing the status of this drive before
    incurring the cost to return it?

    thanks,
    kevin
    --
    Please reply to: com

    v1r0b1k@despammed.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Wallstreet Floppy drive

    In article <YmSPgjx6zsY1-pn2-VsgofdJesNZFlocalhost>,
    com wrote:

    I am not sure if there are any drivers that will make a floppy drive work
    in OS X for a Wallstreet. I know for a fact that no drivers exist for
    floppy drives for a beige G3. Well, there is one unofficial shareware
    driver you can download from www.versiontracker.com, but it does not work
    well, taking forever and ever to mount the diskette and read it and such to
    the point of being useless.

    I am not sure this is your problem, but I would guess that it is. If you
    can boot into OS 9.x, see if the diskette drive suddenly begins working. If
    so--it's probably a driver issue. And I'm not sure you're gonna get
    satisfaction.

    Of course, you didn't mention whether you're using OS X or OS 9, so . . .
    this might not apply.

    You might need to buy an external USB diskette drive instead.
    sam Guest

  3. #3

    In article <YmSPgjx6zsY1-pn2-VsgofdJesNZFlocalhost>,
    com wrote:

    Since you mention Disk First Aid, I assume your using a pre-X OS. If
    it's not showing up in System Profiler, I can think of a couple of
    1) The drive is bad.
    2) The drive is not firmly inserted.
    3) The connector in that bay is bad.

    Assuming you have other expansion bay devices (like, say, a battery) try
    swapping things around (assuming you haven't already). You should insert
    the drive with a good firm push but not slam it into place. If you can
    get some device recognized in both bays but the floppy in neither, I'd
    say it's time to take the seller up on his offer, mentioning the testing
    you have performed.

    Gregory Guest

  5. #5

    In article <YmSPgjx6zsY1-pn2-dl2TdV3NlycRlocalhost>,
    com wrote:

    Already answered when you asked yesterday.
    Gregory Guest

  6. #6

    On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 21:45:33 UTC, Gregory Weston
    <com> wrote:

    > Already answered when you asked yesterday.
    >[/ref]

    I had problems with my local newsserver where I did not see either my
    post or your reply. Sorry that it inconvenienced you to such a degree.

  7. #7

    In article <YmSPgjx6zsY1-pn2-dl2TdV3NlycRlocalhost>,
    com wrote:

    By any chance are you using OS X? I've had trouble with a USB floppy
    drive in X. You might try booting into 9.

    --
    James Meiss
    <http://amath.colorado.edu/faculty/jdm>

  8. #8

    In article <YmSPgjx6zsY1-pn2-4YQz28LE25o1localhost>,
    com wrote:

    > > Already answered when you asked yesterday.
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > I had problems with my local newsserver where I did not see either my
    > post or your reply. Sorry that it inconvenienced you to such a degree.[/ref]

    Don't get snide. I was simply pointing out the fact that it was worth
    your while to look at the other thread. I have no idea what caused you
    to repost or if the agent you'd be using on next connection would show
    you my response by default.

    Gregory Guest

  9. #9

    <com> wrote:

    He sees your post both days, with no explanation on the second day about
    why you're repeating. He comments on this, saying it's already been
    answered. Instead of getting annoyed, learn to use the Google Groups
    search so you can track down missed posts in the future.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  10. #10

    In article <YmSPgjx6zsY1-pn2-4YQz28LE25o1localhost>,
    com wrote:

    That's OK. We're use to MORONS here! Cf. jdoggy and Mark C.

    --
    Enough <com>
    Enough Guest

  11. #11

    On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 04:20:22 UTC, James Meiss <invalid> wrote:

    > By any chance are you using OS X? I've had trouble with a USB floppy
    > drive in X. You might try booting into 9.
    >[/ref]

    This fixed it.

    Thanks for taking the time to post an answer instead of a netiquette
    lecture.

  12. #12

    In article <YmSPgjx6zsY1-pn2-exd58bF0GfUTlocalhost>,
    com wrote:

    did you see my post about possibly there are no drivers for you
    floppy available in OS X? given what you type above, that sounds
    like the case.
    sam Guest

  13. #13

    In article <YmSPgjx6zsY1-pn2-exd58bF0GfUTlocalhost>,
    com wrote:

    Last I looked, we don't get paid or get any other kind of remuneration
    for answering questions here. It's up to *you* to make your question as
    answerable as possible. Acting like a git will not get you a real
    answer, not that I'm saying that's what happened. If you knew you had a
    problem the first day, you might have considered looking for existing
    posts using Google, or said something in your second posting. Hopefully
    you'll consider your experience here the next time you wish to ask
    something. :-) Netiquette is only for those who want actual answers.

    --
    Today, on Paper-view: Pulp Fiction!
    Howard Guest

  14. #14

    <com> wrote:

    Lose the attitude if you want to continue getting help with your
    problems.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest