Professional Web Applications Themes

Wallstreet wont turn on. - Mac Portable

Hello everyone, hope you can give some advice. Trying to figure out if I should spend money on this system or look for something else. I have a wallstreet (M4753/266/14.1"/64MB) powerbook that wont turn on anymore. About six months ago the hard drive died and I removed it, leaving the powerbook on the shelf afterwards, since I did not have the need for the laptop. Now that I have the time and could actually use the system, I am having trouble turning it on. Basically, it wont do anything when I press the power button. I tried reseting the PRAM ...

  1. #1

    Default Wallstreet wont turn on.

    Hello everyone, hope you can give some advice. Trying to figure out if
    I should spend money on this system or look for something else.

    I have a wallstreet (M4753/266/14.1"/64MB) powerbook that wont turn on
    anymore. About six months ago the hard drive died and I removed it,
    leaving the powerbook on the shelf afterwards, since I did not have
    the need for the laptop.

    Now that I have the time and could actually use the system, I am
    having trouble turning it on. Basically, it wont do anything when I
    press the power button. I tried reseting the PRAM (shft+fn+ctrl+power)
    but all I get is a short green light on the front and a single click
    coming out of the speakers. It seems that the screen gets power
    (depending on the ambient light I can see the screen flickering, but
    that does not happen all the time).

    Having read that the symptoms are sometimes caused by a bad
    connection, I went ahead and reseated all of the components (RAM,
    logic board, connector cables, etc) but did not have any luck getting
    the system to turn on. If it helps, all of the parts inside seem to be
    original, and I moved the RAM from the lower slot to the upper slot.
    But no go.

    As far as I can tell I am getting power from the AC adapter, since the
    PRAM reset activates the light and the click when batteries are not
    in. I think that the batteries are not getting charged, because the
    unit does not heat up not matter how long I leave it plugged in (but
    from what I read about power management on these models, the batteries
    wont charge unless the unit can function correctly otherwise?!).

    Having given you some background, I would appreciate it if you can
    provide some advice on what to try next. Is it possible that the PB
    wont turn on without the hard drive present (I was planning to buy a
    new hard drive and a drive bracket anyway, but dont want to spend the
    money unless I am sure that will remedy the problem). Could it be the
    PRAM battery (since the unit sat for so long)? Or is it something
    different?

    Thanks again, and let me know if there is any other info I can
    provide.

    Mer
    Mostar Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Wallstreet wont turn on.

    Le 14/09/03 16:39, dans google.com,
    «Mostar» <com> a écrit:

    did you reset the power manager, check on the net to see how to do it?

    Donald Guest

  3. #3

    Yes it sounds like you have a dead pram battery. Try this-remove the large
    battery, plug in ac, put large battery back, try starting.
    MPerlst216 Guest

  4. #4

    <snip>

    I tried that already, but no change. Thanks anyway.
    Mostar Guest

  5. #5

    com (MPerlst216) wrote in message news:<aol.com>...

    just tried it. no go. Does anyone know where I can find the PRAM
    battery for less than 50 USD? It seems a steep price for a battery.

    Thanks again.

    mer
    Mostar Guest

  6. #6

    the price of the battery is just the beginning. the wallstreet must be
    completely disassembled to get to the p-ram battery sitting under the upper
    case
    MPerlst216 Guest

  7. #7

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Mostar) wrote:

    I'm not sure if this will do it or if it does exactly which part but...

    Remove the main battery(s), disconnect the power supply and press the
    power on button, several times. Now connect the AC adapter and press
    start. If it starts go ahead and insert the main battery(s).

    --
    Clark Martin

    Clark Guest

  8. #8

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 13:39:22 -0700, Mostar wrote
    (in message <google.com>):

    <http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
    8&threadm=150920010757139641%25gwestonREMOVE%40CAP Shome.com&rnum=7&prev=/group
    s%3Fas_q%3Dturn%26as_epq%3Dwall%2520street%26safe% 3Dimages%26ie%3DISO-8859-
    1%26as_ugroup%3D*mac*%26lr%3D%26num%3D100%26hl%3De n>

    This guy found that his keyboard was bad.

    But my guess is that if you leave the power adapter unplugged for even longer
    (with the battery removed) and let the PRAM battery drain to zero, it might
    start up.

    Be sure to press and hold the power key (resetting the power manager) before
    each restart attempt.

    If all else fails, http://www.pbparts.com is quite reasonable in their parts
    prices. Also, http://www.dttservice is also reasonable in their service
    prices and excellent in their quality of diagnosis and repair You might call
    or e-mail either of these folks and ask if they have seen this problem
    before.

    Good luck,
    --
    Dave C