Professional Web Applications Themes

WAN address vs IP address - Mac Networking

Will someone explain these 2 numbers: Here is what Airport Admin Utility reports as my WAN address: http://172.16.1.10/ which brings up my Cube's websharing through port forwarding. My "IP Logger" Applescript reports this as my IP address: 69.3.76.172 however this address brings up no web page. What exactly IS this number, the Covad router I'm connected to? -- Gnarlie...

  1. #1

    Default WAN address vs IP address

    Will someone explain these 2 numbers:

    Here is what Airport Admin Utility reports as my WAN address:
    http://172.16.1.10/ which brings up my Cube's websharing through port
    forwarding.

    My "IP Logger" Applescript reports this as my IP address:
    69.3.76.172
    however this address brings up no web page. What exactly IS this number, the
    Covad router I'm connected to?

    -- Gnarlie

    Gnarlodious Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: WAN address vs IP address

    In article <BCBBA6F4.432F9%invalid.>,
    Gnarlodious <invalid.> wrote:

    172.16.1.10 is in a private IP range.

    _That_ one is a public IP address.

    It sure does for me - a Web page called "Gnarlodious-Cube" ;) If it
    doesn't for you, I assume you're trying from within your LAN and have
    something misconfigured.

    I suspect that 172.16.1.10 is that router's address. Assuming you have
    your Airport BaseStation connected to the Covad's LAN side, than indeed
    from that BaseStation's point of view 172.16.1.10 is the WAN address.

    My LAN too has multiple routers and indeed it can be confusing. One
    thing I do when I need to make sure I'm not fooling myself in such a
    situation is to ssh into a remote machine elsewhere on the planet. From
    there you can look at your LAN from the outside.

    --
    Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>

    Mac user: "Macs only have 40 viruses, tops!"
    PC user: "SEE! Not even the virus writers support Macs!"
    Sander Guest

  3. #3

    Entity Sander Tekelenburg spoke thus:

    OK, I see now it's in the loopback block.
     [/ref]

    Hmmm...wonder what?

    I would like to know how to do that in detail.

    Thanks for the info Sander.

    -- Gnarlie
    Currently broadcasting from http://69.3.76.172

    Gnarlodious Guest

  4. #4

    Gnarlodious wrote:
    > Hmmm...wonder what?
    >[/ref]
    Your OS X firewall or your hardware firewall
    is blocking other machines going thru the router
    to the Apache server.
    George Guest

  5. #5

    In article <BCBBC270.44160%invalid.>,
    Gnarlodious <invalid.> wrote:

    [...]

    > Hmmm...wonder what?[/ref]

    I don't know. I'm no network guru. Just like to play with it :)

    > I would like to know how to do that in detail.[/ref]

    Nothing fancy really. All it takes is having access to some machine
    outside your LAN. Find a friend to give you ssh access to his
    machine[*]. You ssh into that machine and there run something like lynx
    to http to your own network to make sure that what you think to be your
    public IP address really is (you'd thus also be checjing your firewall &
    router configs by seeing if the http request ends up where it should be).
    [*] In case you have no friends :) but do have a spare machine, use that
    one to connect to the Net through a modem. (At least overhere most ADSL
    providers still also provide modem access with the same account.)

  6. #6

    Entity Sander Tekelenburg spoke thus:

    Eureka! What a concept!

    Yeah, I'm the only American left with a land line, now I know why.

    -- Gnarlie
    Currently broadcasting from http://66.167.132.237

    Gnarlodious Guest

  7. #7

    In article <BCBC8063.435AB%invalid.>,
    Gnarlodious <invalid.> wrote:

    > Eureka! What a concept!

    > Yeah, I'm the only American left with a land line, now I know why.[/ref]

    What's a "land line"?

  8. #8

    Entity Sander Tekelenburg spoke thus:

    >> Yeah, I'm the only American left with a land line, now I know why.[/ref]
    >
    > What's a "land line"?[/ref]
    A "land line" is a wired phone AKA "twisted pair".
    Over here, phone companies ed the customer for decades with poor
    service, price gouging and bickering over turf. Now that cellular is widely
    available the trend is to not even have a land line anymore and the phone
    companies are feeling it.

    Ironically, those who do have a land line are keeping it as a dedicated
    internet connection, the talking part is sort of a bonus.

    That's the story from my end...

    -- Gnarlie
    Currently broadcasting from http://66.167.42.82

    Gnarlodious Guest