Professional Web Applications Themes

Want to generate Excel charts inside Excel files by Perl CGIgenerating Excel files using WriteExcel.pm - PERL Modules

Hi all, My web-based application requires me to generate an Excel file with the results of an ysis in the server--something I can now do using the WriteExcel.pm module, but I'd like to do more in my Perl CGI. Specifically, I'd like to generate a graph/chart plotting values in column C in a worksheet with values in column A, and also values in column B against values in column A, both in the same graph/chart. Please note that I know how to plot a graph/chart once I open a file in Excel--my question is what I can do in the ...

  1. #1

    Default Want to generate Excel charts inside Excel files by Perl CGIgenerating Excel files using WriteExcel.pm

    Hi all,

    My web-based application requires me to generate an Excel file with
    the results of an ysis in the server--something I can now do using
    the WriteExcel.pm module, but I'd like to do more in my Perl CGI.
    Specifically, I'd like to generate a graph/chart plotting values in
    column C in a worksheet with values in column A, and also values in
    column B against values in column A, both in the same graph/chart.
    Please note that I know how to plot a graph/chart once I open a file
    in Excel--my question is what I can do in the Perl CGI using
    WriteExcel (or associated or other Perl modules) such that when the
    generated Excel file is opened, the graphs/charts are already/
    automatically created for me.

    My question is, can this be done? If so, what Perl modules are to be
    used.

    My second question is regarding regression ysis. I would like to
    do regression on values on a particular column, say column C against
    column A. I know how to do this manually after I open an Excel file.
    My question is, if this can be achieved using a Perl module related to
    WriteExcel in my Perl CGI such that the ysis is automatically
    performed (and the curves automatically fitted) once I open the Excel
    file.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!
    dylanthomasfan Guest

  2. #2

    dylanthomasfan <com> wrote:

    Yes.

    When I needed something similar at my last job, I could not find a
    Perl solution.

    Ended up writing VBA (someone else did that for me) and then using
    Java and POI to populate the Excel sheet with the VBA already in it:

    http://poi.apache.org/

    --
    Tad McClellan
    Tad Guest

  3. #3

    On Dec 8 2008, 4:59pm, Tad J McClellan <invalid> wrote:

    > Yes.

    > When I needed something similar at my last job, I could not find a
    > Perl solution.
    >
    > Ended up writing VBA (someone else did that for me) and then using
    > Java and POI to populate the Excel sheet with the VBA already in it:
    >
    > http://poi.apache.org/
    >
    > --
    > Tad McClellan
    > email: perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/moc.noitatibaher\100cmdat/"[/ref]

    I need to do this. Would you mind sharing your vba, java and poi code
    with me?

    Mike Guest

  4. #4

    Mike O <com> wrote:

    > I need to do this. Would you mind sharing your vba,[/ref]

    There was no "my" VBA, someone else did that for me.

    It was at my last job.

    I no longer have access to the system where the code is.

    It isn't hard if you know Java.

    Less than a hundred lines if I recall correctly.

    --
    Tad McClellan
    Tad Guest