Professional Web Applications Themes

Want to run Win98SE apps under 9.0 - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

now running 8.2 on a dual processored machine, using Wine only for Agent. There are two 120gb HDDs The present install is totally FUBAR. All I can use is Mozilla on the machine. I would like to install W98 to run with 9.0. Should I wipe the HDDs and then install Win98 and then install SuSE9.0? or can I install Win98 AFTER installing 9.0 OVER 8.2?? hate to lose the files for Agent. oh, N.B. I have never installed Win98 on these HDDs. 8.2 was an original install on them. finally, should I forget WINE and get the high dollar ...

  1. #1

    Default Want to run Win98SE apps under 9.0

    now running 8.2 on a dual processored machine, using Wine only for Agent.
    There are two 120gb HDDs
    The present install is totally FUBAR. All I can use is Mozilla on the machine.
    I would like to install W98 to run with 9.0.
    Should I wipe the HDDs and then install Win98 and then install SuSE9.0?
    or can I install Win98 AFTER installing 9.0 OVER 8.2??

    hate to lose the files for Agent.
    oh, N.B. I have never installed Win98 on these HDDs. 8.2 was an original
    install on them.

    finally, should I forget WINE and get the high dollar emulation software?

    thanks
    chas

    schuetzen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Want to run Win98SE apps under 9.0

    schuetzen - RKBA! wrote:

    You can install Win98SE over the 8.2 if you want to use Mandrake 9.0, but
    you will need to use Windows Format command to change the partition type to
    VFAT first. Win98 will overwrite your MBR, so you can't access Linux any
    more. You will then need to boot MDK 9.0 from the CD1, press F1 and choose
    Rescue. On the Rescue menu, choose "Re-install bootloader." Since your
    present bootloader doesn't have an entry for the Win98, you will have to
    put them in once you are back in Linux. (edit /etc/lilo.conf and /etc/fstab
    as root, then still as root, run "lilo".) Unfortunately, you can't edit
    your Linux files from Windows.

    If your Agent files are on the 9.0 disk, they won't be touched.

    Please look at cross-posting instead of posting several times. See my post
    on comp.os.linux.setup re Sound Card problem, which explains the
    difference.

    HTH,

    Doug.
    --
    Registered Linux User No. 277548.
    They say lightning never strikes twice in the same place. My typing is

  3. #3

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 00:16:02 -0600, in article
    <com>, schuetzen - RKBA! wrote:

    Why do you need Win98?

    If I were installing both, that's the order I'd choose.

    1. Create a "backup" partition on one of the drives and copy
    Agent's files to it.
    2. Wipe the rest of the partitions and install the OS(es).
    3. Copy Agent's files onto a suitable partition.
    4. Change the old "backup" partition to a swap partition.

    After I learned how to use Wine, I had no problem with Agent. Does Wine
    lack some feature you cannot live without? Do you need to run Windows and
    Linux at the same time?

    Why buy expensive emulation software if Wine will do? Use Wine and donate
    your high dollars to some worthy cause.
    Jules Guest

  4. #4

    schuetzen - RKBA! wrote:

    the best route is:
    1) install 98 (win2k would be better) first
    2) install Linux after

    however, you CAN install winders after Linux, you just have
    to understand that the m$ OS is MBR-destructive, so you will
    have to boot up with (suse) CD1 and boot the installed system,
    then re-run grub to reinstall it back to the MBR

    i use vmware - it's good s/w, many people complain of the
    cost, but the time it saves more than offsets the cost. (the
    people normally complaining are hobbyists or "home users").
    i think programmers paradise has it on special for ~$250us for
    the electronic (download) version:
    ..
    The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men
    of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.
    -- Justice Louis D. Brandeis

    mjt Guest

  5. #5

    schuetzen - RKBA! <net> wrote:

    I had trouble running Free Agent under Wine after my latest hardware
    upgrade and update to a more current Linux Distribution. What I found
    is that Wine now has a "Fake Windows" option where is make a phony
    /windows directory, copies in some "required" DLL's and uses that. In
    this way I didn't seem to need the real windows partition/installation
    at all.

    Anyway, just another option to look into.

    http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
    SPAM Reduction: Remove "x." from my domain.
    Doug Guest

  6. #6

    On 2003-10-30, schuetzen - RKBA! <net> wrote:

    I've never had terribly good luck with Wine; it's high-maintenance
    (lots of little tweaks to get things working and keep them working) some
    apps seem to work, at least for a while, but many do not and it
    eventually caused me enough grief that I ditched it.

    If all you need is Win9x/ME support, it's hard to beat Win4Lin. It's
    fast (at or near native speed), efficient (low resource use), very
    compatible (just about anything that works in Win9x/ME will run without
    modification) and only a fraction of the cost of VMware, which is VERY
    nice indeed, but quite pricy.

    --

    -John (rr.com)
    John Guest