Professional Web Applications Themes

Want to start out right with PHP - Macromedia Dynamic HTML

I'm pretty well introduced to XHTML and CSS and Dreamweaver and would now like to take the next step, making forms actually take information and then pass that information on back to me. The information can come back as an e-mail as I understand that this is one way to do it. I don't know what the others are at this point, but don't want to complicate this. I simply want to do the simplest thing for learning the concept and seeing it work. I would like to have a person type their name and e-mail address, and also check ...

  1. #1

    Default Want to start out right with PHP

    I'm pretty well introduced to XHTML and CSS and Dreamweaver and would now like
    to take the next step, making forms actually take information and then pass
    that information on back to me. The information can come back as an e-mail as I
    understand that this is one way to do it. I don't know what the others are at
    this point, but don't want to complicate this.

    I simply want to do the simplest thing for learning the concept and seeing it
    work. I would like to have a person type their name and e-mail address, and
    also check a few radio buttons - then have that info sent back to me.

    Here is the beginning of the response I got with this question from my
    provider tech help:

    "Thank you for taking time to contact Online Support. You explained that you
    are learning how to create forms where users can submit information. It appears
    you are on a Linux shared hosting plan at the moment. Two non-CGI form mailers
    are included in Linux shared hosting account default files: webformmailer.php
    and gdform.php. They reside in the root directory of your hosting account.
    Incorporating either of these scripts into your Web site creates a form to
    capture user information and email it to a specified address."

    All of this is fine, but it is way over my head.

    Can someone here explain in simple terms what it is I need to do with one
    field, say the 'name' field, in order to step through the process of how PHP is
    enabled in my site doent and how it performs. Please use the most elementary
    terms, as I need to get the concept of how it works first.

    Thank You,

    Ken

    Ken Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Want to start out right with PHP

    Go to Amazon and get David Powers' book on PHP and Dreamweaver. It'll be
    the best investment you ever made. He explains this from a to z.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    "Ken Nielsen" <com> wrote in message

    Murray Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks Murray

    Best investment I have ever made has to be a good book,

    Ken

    Ken Guest

  4. #4

    Here is the link to David's site: http://foundationphp.com/

    The top 2 books on the right are the ones you want. You can jump right into the top one "The Essential Guide to DWCS3 CSS/AJAX/PHP"

    macapples Guest

  5. #5

    I have the first book, and just ordered the second book. I am interested in
    learning PHP also, but have not been exposed to much.

    I do recommend The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3 with CSS, Ajax, and PHP,
    it has been most helpful.

    polar_bare Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks macapples,

    Okay, I've ordered it. Best of times to you also polar_bare with your learning
    and putting Everything you are learning into use. I intend to read the whole
    book cover to cover as I have with everything else so far, and then take a
    community college class locally on PHP. I'm really interested to also see what
    the book has to say about CSS. This is the next step to just making static web
    sites.

    Forms work well in tables, but styling with CSS is interesting to me.

    So much to learn, So little time,

    Ken

    Ken Guest

  7. #7

    http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200701/styling_form_controls_with_css_revisited/

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    "Ken Nielsen" <com> wrote in message

    Murray Guest

  8. #8

    [q]Originally posted by: Newsgroup
    User
    456bereastreet.com/archive/200701/styling_form_controls_with_css
    _revisited
    [/q]

    At first glance, the reaction is "Oh No!" but for the sake of the client, and
    using the good example set by Amazon dot com, I want to tackle forms that will
    be useful to my client's customers. Hopefully I won't get too far off track
    with it. The main problem seems to be the many browsers and their, sometimes
    weird, ways of handling what should be simple. Most all of my clients have
    Windows computers, so I can check my work at my local Kinko's rent by the hour,
    and not have to buy a machine. Only Macs and Safari and Firefox are allowed on
    my premises.

    Thanks Myrray *ACE* for the link to a real horror story. I will benefit from
    this study.

    Ken

    Ken Guest

  9. #9

    ..oO(Ken Nielsen)

    Styling forms with CSS is not simple, but in fact the reason for that is
    rather simple. Browsers don't draw these elements on their own like they
    do with other textual elements and images, but use external widget
    libraries instead. In some cases a browser comes with its own widget set
    (GTK for example), but most often it just takes what the operating
    system has to offer. And if the OS doesn't support a particular style
    change to a button or an input field for example, then the browser can't
    do anything about it. It just has to live with what's available or
    allowed by the OS. Some operating systems (better: window managers) also
    have wide support for user-defined graphical desktop themes, so that GUI
    controls will always appear in the user's chosen style.

    So even if you check the site in the same browser, the results may still
    vary across different operating systems because of these things that the
    browser can't control.

    Micha
    Michael Guest

  10. #10

    Thanks Michael,

    I'm simply going to have to take more care in this area. I was just looking at
    a site for Terminix pest control and it has the home page with a fieldset that
    is way off kilter on my machine. Funny I would run across that just as I was
    contemplating this subject.

    I Appreciate Your Input,

    Ken

    Ken Guest

  11. #11

    See if this one falls flat on your machine also:

    https://www.tmxpurchase.com/

    Ken Guest

  12. #12

    ..oO(Ken Nielsen)

    Actually in my Opera the form field for the ZIP code looks like in any
    other application (means: unstyled), but is almost completely overlapped
    by the "Start My Diagnosis" button. Same in Firefox 3.

    Micha
    Michael Guest