Professional Web Applications Themes

wanted: most stable emacs - Mac Applications & Software

i'm using the carbon built of emacs and it crashed yesterday after an uptime of a week that suprised me very much because i'm using emacs quite a lot and had coming from NT very seldom propblems the emacs (although with lots of other programs... ;-). does anybody else have problems with crashing emacs on mac? i'm not sure but it might be related to oipening new frames C-x 5 2 or to auto open text files with emacs. and what is the most stable emacs built for mac? i did not try the "aqua built" yet does anybody tried ...

  1. #1

    Default wanted: most stable emacs

    i'm using the carbon built of emacs and it crashed yesterday after an uptime
    of a week

    that suprised me very much because i'm using emacs quite a lot and had
    coming from NT very seldom propblems the emacs (although with lots of other
    programs... ;-).

    does anybody else have problems with crashing emacs on mac? i'm not sure but
    it might be related to oipening new frames C-x 5 2 or to auto open text
    files with emacs.

    and what is the most stable emacs built for mac? i did not try the "aqua
    built" yet does anybody tried it out?

    thanks, leo

    Leo Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: wanted: most stable emacs

    On 2003-10-13, Leo <isys.com.au> wrote:

    You built this yourself from a recent cvs checkout, or you downloaded
    somebody else's random build? If the latter I _strongly_ recommend
    you build it yourself.

    I don't. I use it all day every (work) day. I'm using it now, to
    compose this message, in conjunction with slrn.

    The carbon port of fsf emacs 21.3.50 is imo highly stable if you build
    it from recent sources. So is xemacs 21.4.13, both as an X11 client
    and in terminal (-nw) mode. As an X11 client it has the added
    advantage over carbon or aqua of being runnable remotely.

    Apple's terminal-only build that comes with osx is also fine. If you
    run it in Terminal.app you can get opt-as-meta support (though not in
    combination with ctrl), as well simple mouse-click cursor positioning.
    It also inherits a form of drag-and-drop from Terminal.app, which is
    not available in emacs otherwise.

    You mean the one at http://emacs-on-aqua.sourceforge.net/ ? This is
    pretty old -- 20.7, I think? It's definitely not as well integrated
    as the carbon port.

    There's also a 'native' version of xemacs 21.5 for osx:

    http://homepage.mac.com/pjarvis/xemacs-21.5.9.html

    Last time I checked it was in a very primitive state. But that's
    been awhile now.

    Hugh Guest

  3. #3

    "Leo" <isys.com.au> writes:

    If you use a version of Emacs built from CVS in the past month, you may
    experience crashes as explained here:

    http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-emacs/index.html

    This problem was fixed yesterday. Other than that, there's no reason
    Emacs should crash more often on OS X or more often than other programs.

    Please note that the CVS version of Emacs is in development and should
    be treated as such. There isn't an official `stable' version of Emacs
    that builds on OS X with the `--with-carbon' option yet. However, if
    you're willing to keep up with the announcements on the above web page
    and in the emacs-devel newsgroup, you should have a pretty stable
    version. I use mine for everyday work.
    Andrew Guest

  4. #4

    hi there

    "Hugh Wolf" <lieder.de> wrote in message
    news:Tfwib.750518$.. [/ref]
    uptime

    > You built this yourself from a recent cvs checkout, or you downloaded
    > somebody else's random build? If the latter I _strongly_ recommend
    > you build it yourself.[/ref]

    mmmh, why? i'm using the mindlube built
    (http://mindlube.com/products/emacs/index.html), isn't that ok?

    > The carbon port of fsf emacs 21.3.50 is imo highly stable if you build
    > it from recent sources.[/ref]

    the mindlube build (like the build from David Caldwell --
    http://www.porkrind.org/emacs/) is from november/2002, but are newer builds
    more stable?

    thanks, leo

    Leo Guest

  5. #5

    On 2003-10-14, Leo <isys.com.au> wrote:

    > mmmh, why?[/ref]

    You're running a build from almost a year ago, you're complaining
    about problems, and you're asking me why you would want the fixes that
    have been made since then?

    No, I'm making all this up.

    Hugh Guest

  6. #6

    sorry, didn't want to insult you...

    on my work machine i run an old emacs from 2002 as well and it runs fine.

    i would have thought, emacs is generally very stable and development goes
    more in performance improvement and feature enrichment...

    so the question is still there: *why* should i as an average emacs end user
    go for the last cvs built?

    nevertheless, i'll try to built it myself. (i'm just afraid, that *I*
    introduce some stupid things by missing a step or so...)

    have a good day!

    cheers, leo

    > > mmmh, why?[/ref]
    >
    > You're running a build from almost a year ago, you're complaining
    > about problems, and you're asking me why you would want the fixes that
    > have been made since then?
    >

    > No, I'm making all this up.
    >

    >[/ref]

    Leo Guest