Professional Web Applications Themes

Warning Message - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Hi Everyone, I'll explain what I'm doing first. At the moment, I am doing a record search via a form. I like to know if it's possible to display an error message if that record doesn't exist. Currently, it displays a blank form which isn't too informative for the user. If someone could help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Cheers, Johnny....

  1. #1

    Default Warning message

    Hi Everyone,

    I'll explain what I'm doing first. At the moment, I am
    doing a record search via a form. I like to know if it's
    possible to display an error message if that record
    doesn't exist. Currently, it displays a blank form which
    isn't too informative for the user.

    If someone could help me with this, it would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

    Cheers,

    Johnny.
    Johnny Lui Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Warning message

    If you are doing your record search via a recordset you should be able to
    use the nomatch property.

    For example:
    If rsClone.nomatch Then MsgBox "No records satisfy the specified search
    criteria", vbExclamation, "No Match"

    I hope this helps.

    Eric

    "Johnny Lui" <jluikeromail.com> wrote in message
    | Hi Everyone,
    |
    | I'll explain what I'm doing first. At the moment, I am
    | doing a record search via a form. I like to know if it's
    | possible to display an error message if that record
    | doesn't exist. Currently, it displays a blank form which
    | isn't too informative for the user.
    |
    | If someone could help me with this, it would be greatly
    | appreciated.
    |
    | Thanks in advance.
    |

    | Cheers,
    |
    | Johnny.

    Eric J. Williams Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Eric,

    Thanks for your reply.

    Unfortunately, I'm using a query to do the search. Can you
    do via the query?

    Thanks again.

    Cheers,

    Johnny.

    Johnny Lui Guest

  4. #4

    Try using the DCount function:

    If DCount("*", "QueryName", "[FieldName]="somevalue") = 0 Then
    MsgBox "No matches found."
    Exit Sub
    End If

    If the query is the form's recordsource, you could use this:
    If DCount("*", Me.RecordSource, "[FieldName]="somevalue") = 0 Then
    MsgBox "No matches found."
    Exit Sub
    End If

    Note that the criterion expression might not be needed for the second
    example, depending upon how you were filtering your form.

    If you can provide more info about your form and the query, we can revise
    the code more specifically for you.
    --
    Ken Snell
    <MS ACCESS MVP>

    "Johnny Lui" <jluikeromail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Everyone,
    >
    > I'll explain what I'm doing first. At the moment, I am
    > doing a record search via a form. I like to know if it's
    > possible to display an error message if that record
    > doesn't exist. Currently, it displays a blank form which
    > isn't too informative for the user.
    >
    > If someone could help me with this, it would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >

    > Cheers,
    >
    > Johnny.

    Ken Snell Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Ken,

    Thanks for your reply.

    Here's the query:

    SELECT tblProducts.[Catalog Number], tblProducts.[Catalog
    Description], tblProducts.[Company Name], tblProducts.P1,
    tblProducts.P2, tblProducts.Description
    FROM tblProducts
    WHERE (((tblProducts.[Catalog Number])=[Please enter the
    Catalog Number (do not include spaces or hyphens):]));

    Is there a way to put the Dcount function you mention in
    the query?

    Thanks again.

    Cheers,

    Johnny.

    Johnny Lui Guest

  6. #6

    Hi Ken,

    Thankyou so much for your reply again.

    Yes, the user is typing a value into a textbox on the
    form. It has a search button, so when they press it,
    another form pops up and displays the record. However, I
    want it to display a error message if the record doesn't
    exist.

    Thanks in advance.

    Cheers,

    Johnny.

    details about how your
    >form is set up: your user is typing a value into a
    textbox on the form? what
    >is happening? Then we can best determine how you can use
    the DCount
    >function.
    >
    >--
    > Ken Snell
    ><MS ACCESS MVP>
    >
    >"Johnny Lui" <jluikeromail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Ken,
    >>
    >> Thanks for your reply.
    >>
    >> Here's the query:
    >>
    >> SELECT tblProducts.[Catalog Number], tblProducts.
    [Catalog
    >> Description], tblProducts.[Company Name],
    tblProducts.P1,
    >> tblProducts.P2, tblProducts.Description
    >> FROM tblProducts
    >> WHERE (((tblProducts.[Catalog Number])=[Please enter the
    >> Catalog Number (do not include spaces or hyphens):]));
    >>
    >> Is there a way to put the Dcount function you mention in
    >> the query?
    >>
    >> Thanks again.
    >>

    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Johnny.

    Johnny Lui Guest

  7. #7

    This is the what the search button does the moment:

    Option Compare Database

    Private Sub Command2_Click()
    On Error GoTo Err_Command2_Click

    Dim stDocName As String
    Dim stLinkCriteria As String

    stDocName = "frmProducts"

    DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria

    Exit_Command2_Click:
    Exit Sub

    Err_Command2_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_Command2_Click

    End Sub

    Johnny Lui Guest

  8. #8

    Here's one way to do what you seek (I have not tested this exact code, so it
    may need a bit of tweaking):
    Private Sub Command2_Click()
    On Error GoTo Err_Command2_Click

    Dim stDocName As String
    Dim stLinkCriteria As String

    stDocName = "frmProducts"

    DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria, , acHidden
    If DCount("*", Forms(stDocName).Form.RecordSource) = 0 Then
    MsgBox "There are no records to display."
    DoCmd.Close acForm, Forms(stDocName).Form.Name
    Else
    Forms(stDocName).Form.Visible = True
    End If

    Exit_Command2_Click:
    Exit Sub

    Err_Command2_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_Command2_Click

    End Sub

    Ken Snell
    <MS ACCESS MVP>

    > This is the what the search button does the moment:
    >
    > Option Compare Database
    >
    > Private Sub Command2_Click()
    > On Error GoTo Err_Command2_Click
    >
    > Dim stDocName As String
    > Dim stLinkCriteria As String
    >
    > stDocName = "frmProducts"
    >
    > DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria
    >
    > Exit_Command2_Click:
    > Exit Sub
    >
    > Err_Command2_Click:
    > MsgBox Err.Description
    > Resume Exit_Command2_Click
    >
    > End Sub

    Ken Snell Guest

  9. #9

    Shucks.....my home base is about 1/2 way around the world from you! Guess
    you'll have to drink that coffee!

    --
    Ken Snell
    <MS ACCESS MVP>

    > Hi Ken,
    >
    > That code worked perfectly. Your help was greatly
    > appreicated.
    >
    > If you are in Australia, Sydney, NSW, Frenchs Forest 2086,
    > I'll buy you coffee.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >

    > Cheers,
    >
    > Johnny.

    Ken Snell Guest

  10. #10

    Marvin,

    It's a conflict between your feather setting, and your selection area.

    Your feather setting is large enough (or selection small enough) so that your selection doesn't include any pixels that are more than 50% (density? presence? someone help with the correct term, please!).

    Either lower your feather setting, or increase the area you are selecting.

    HTH,

    Byron
    Byron Gale Guest

  11. Moderated Post