Professional Web Applications Themes

WASD Camera Navigation - Macromedia Director 3D

It's killing me. I've got a 3D world I've created and successfully imported into Director. I'd like to use the simple navigation method used in games (the WASD to move and strafe, and use the mouse to look around). It'd also be nice to be able to use Shift to move the camera up and Cntrl to drop it down. I've been searching for days for a good script that would make this happen, and I just haven't been able to find one - although I've found games that use a similar structure. Does anyone know of such a script ...

  1. #1

    Default WASD Camera Navigation

    It's killing me. I've got a 3D world I've created and successfully imported
    into Director. I'd like to use the simple navigation method used in games (the
    WASD to move and strafe, and use the mouse to look around). It'd also be nice
    to be able to use Shift to move the camera up and Cntrl to drop it down. I've
    been searching for days for a good script that would make this happen, and I
    just haven't been able to find one - although I've found games that use a
    similar structure.

    Does anyone know of such a script that I could use? It's making me loose the
    last bit of hair that I had.!

    Thanks.

    sponner Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: WASD Camera Navigation

    :wink; I'm 11 years old and I had a 3D envirerment and I made the guy able to
    move around it. I know how to add a gun and enimies but am having trouble with
    bounderies! I'll figure it out though a engine with Director is not to hard. In
    fact, the programming of a 3D game is a little easy with Director! Just
    modeling is hard. For me it is like that because I took lots of tutorials for
    beginners!

    Totherescue Guest

  3. #3

    So could you share the script you used to navigate through your scene?
    sponner Guest

  4. #4

    I think the ChromeLib has behaviours that can acheive this, but not sure if you need the free or full version

    www.chromelib.com

    hth

    johnAq
    johnAq Guest

  5. #5

    Its me to the rescue again. I am 11 years old and I know the script and how to
    add a gun and enemies but not one thing thats hard for me.... BOUNDARIES. Add
    the email com if you wanna know how to navigate but
    plz.. How you make bounderies. I'll give you all the script and a tutorial if
    you add me but I really need help in thius case. I can add enemies and guns but
    no boundaries. How silly. In flash this function is called hitest when
    something hits another a certin action happens like someone hitting vertine
    ground a enemie would decect you act and it would bring a action or gun pickups
    and boundaries! How is this function done in Director mx 2004? I'm trying to
    make a 3D game by myself but I know the programming how to add a good cursor
    too but I need to know this. My father is doing the 3D modeling so I'm not
    modeling, only porgramming. I'm even expirenced in flash but I really don't
    want to let my Studio down so I have to make a game no matter what! I can make
    sound effects or get them but with grapics I'm a little bad. PLEASE HELP NE
    WITH BOUNDARIES IN DIRECTOR! :mad;

    Totherescue Guest

  6. #6

    Hi Totherescue,

    here is a script that detects a collision between 2 objects and triggers a
    handler named doosomthing . (just add it to a blank shockwave 3d):
    "
    global obj
    global s1,s2 -- sphere1 and sphere2

    on beginsprite me
    obj = sprite(me.spritenum).member
    obj.resetworld()
    sphere_r = obj.newmodelresource("sr",#sphere)
    sphere_r.radius = 10
    s1 = obj.newmodel("sphere1",sphere_r)
    s2 = obj.newmodel("sphere2",sphere_r)
    s2.translate(50,0,0)

    s1.addmodifier(#collision)
    s1.collision.resolve = 1
    s1.collision.setcollisioncallback(#dosomething,me)

    s2.addmodifier(#collision)
    s1.collision.resolve = 1
    end

    on dosomething me, collisiondata
    put collisionData.modelA
    end

    on exitframe
    go the frame
    s1.translate(1,0,0)
    end
    "
    I hope it is what you have been searching for.
    for more info, search for "collision" in director's doentation.

    Daniel.

    danieloizo Guest

  7. #7

    Hi sponner,

    here is a link to some cool tutorials, realy good for beginners:
    http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/Learning/Director/

    Daniel.
    danieloizo Guest

  8. #8

    NO no no no.... PLZ Just somebody give me a .dir file with bounderies by
    putting a link to it cuz I need to see a example and make it as simple as
    possible with W,A,S,D Navigating and I know how to do that. Also do that in
    simplest form possible! TY!!!!! :smile;

    Totherescue Guest

  10. #10

    Thanks for the leads everyone. JohnAQ: I tried the ChromeLIb and that looks
    close, but the rotation all seems to be rotating around the wrong axis. Do you
    have any words of wisdom on the First Person behavior?

    DanielOzio: I've seen those tutorials, but they just seem to rotate around
    the character (and then swap cameras). Am I misreading that camera tutorial?

    sponner Guest

  11. #11

    the collision modifier is a little bit tricky and i would not use it for a
    egoshooter like navigation. I would suggest using modelsunderray or havok to do
    the collision detection (havok can be confusing for people who just got into
    lingo...)

    By the way, collision detection something very often discussed in this forum:

    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/searchresults.cfm?FTVAR_TABLECHOICE
    FRM=archive&FTVAR_STARTDATEFRM=&FTVAR_SEARCHWHATFR M=c&FTVAR_KEYWORD1FRM=collisio
    n&FTVAR_ENDDATEFRM=&FTVAR_DATESELFRM=Select&FTVAR_ CATEGORYIDFRM=268&FTVAR_AUTHOR
    FRM=&FTVAR_RESULTTYPE=topics&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FOR UMVIEWTMP=Linear

    hondo3000 Guest

  12. #12

    Sponner,

    Do you want to simply walk trough the world like in a FPS shooter?
    danieloizo Guest

  13. #13

    The link didn't work, would you mind reposting? I'd really like to see it.

    Essenatilly, yeah, I want to walk through the world like in a FPS, but I'd
    also like the ability to fly straight up (like with the SHIFT) and straight
    down (like with the CNTRL) as you can do in something like UT2004.

    sponner Guest

  14. #14

    OK....just for some interesting discoveries I've been making. My original
    attempts were using C4D, and apparently, the axis system is different. So all
    the outputs were really weird, and what should have been rotating one way was
    rotating the other. Very confusing.

    Experiments with Maya have been more trustworthy (although Maya 8.5 doesn't
    have a Shockwave exporter for some reason). I still haven't gotten a truly
    interactive navigation down yet. So I'd still like any help I can get, but
    things are making a little bit more sense to me now.

    sponner Guest

  15. #15

    Some friends of mine tried the link and it worked, i tried to and it works, please try again and if it still doesn't work on your PC I will post it on an other site.

    Daniel
    danieloizo Guest