Professional Web Applications Themes

Watchout - Overflowed Text Deleted After Building Booklet - Adobe Indesign Windows

Everybody better be careful. I make a 40-104 page doent daily using scripts that define every page in the entire doent. I use InBooklet SE version 3.02 that comes with InDesign CS2 to build these doents into another doent in saddle-stitch format before finally going to PDF with them. I just realized today, after proofing a 64 page doent, that I had overflowed text in 3 textframes. I noticed the textframes in question never had the + on the edge showing there to be overflowed text. When I went to adjust the text to fit everything, the overflowed text was ...

  1. #1

    Default Watchout - Overflowed Text Deleted After Building Booklet

    Everybody better be careful. I make a 40-104 page doent daily using scripts that define every page in the entire doent.

    I use InBooklet SE version 3.02 that comes with InDesign CS2 to build these doents into another doent in saddle-stitch format before finally going to PDF with them.

    I just realized today, after proofing a 64 page doent, that I had overflowed text in 3 textframes. I noticed the textframes in question never had the + on the edge showing there to be overflowed text. When I went to adjust the text to fit everything, the overflowed text was gone.

    I looked at my original single page doent and the overflowed text was there and I was able to adjust the text to fit.

    What happened to the overflowed text?

    The only thing that could have happened was InBooklet SE deleted the overflowing text leaving a person unable to notice overflowed text in the new doent because there really isn't any overflow text....it's been deleted.

    I wrote the following script to find any oversets in my original "singles" doent before using InBooklet SE and thus loosing overset text.

    Adobe should take note of this message and as well know that Version 3.01 InBooklet SE, when using a creep setting, will not create a new doent, but will print to a laser print with creep.

    'Script to detect overflows from textframes
    Set myInDesign = CreateObject("InDesign.Application.CS2")
    Set myDoent = myInDesign.ActiveDoent
    For i = 1 To myDoent.TextFrames.Count
    If myDoent.TextFrames.Item(i).OverFlows Then
    MsgBox myDoent.TextFrames.Item(i).Parent
    End If
    next
    Bruce_Knutzen@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Makes some sense if you think about it. The built booklet is supposed to
    be the finished product so the assumption is that you intentionally left
    it that way.

    That said, if you think it's an issue you might consider filing a bug
    report.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    I guess your saying that sense I elected to leave that text overflowing (which I didn't mean to), InBooklet should have the right to delete it, wouldn't you at least like to know on what pages your text was overflowing and that it will be deleted because so.

    And, when I clicked the little box for a new doent, I expected to receive the same doent with all its saddness, in the layout I chose and the content the same, not chopped here and there. Then I can make additional changes if necessary before processing the file any further. What if I were to take 2 separate doents and want them to become one, should I have whatever plugin I use take data out of the textframes, I think not.

    InBooklet shouldn't care if a user leaves his or her textframe overflowing or not. It should do with it, rather printing or going to a new doent, what InDesign would do with it if it was printing it or copying an overflowing textframe to another doent. Leave it alone.

    Thanks for replying to my message.

    Hopefully, we can achieve something here...like wasting our time and little else.

    I WILL make InDesign work for me, it's the most promising application sense the original PageMaker's, even if I have to script fixes for myself, which I haven't had to yet, except for searching for the overflows so InBooklet don't delete it.
    Bruce_Knutzen@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Bruce,

    If you don't need any of the fancy stuff that InBooklet can do, like creep, you might want to consider using the layout shuffling script written by Dave Saunders and last tweaked by Teus de Jong to work in both CS and CS2. Because it is making a copy with rearranged spreads it doesn't change anything on the pages.

    Find it here:

    Teus de Jong, "How to create Catalog 2 side printing layout" #92, 29 May 2005 11:16 am </cgi-bin/webx?14.3bb789b1/91>

    Peter
    Peter_Spier@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    It turns out there's a typo in that version. I just fixed it, but there might be more. The most recent posting of this script is here: Dave Saunders, "print spread" #4, 16 Aug 2005 8:29 am </cgi-bin/webx?14.3bbbf8e3/3>

    This is a hot candidate for adding to my blog so that the latest version will always be in the same place.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Dave,

    Maybe you should add this to the permanent posts, as well. I'm sure I've directed people to it at least a half dozen times all by myself, and I happen to think it's a really useful bit of code.