Professional Web Applications Themes

Weal wireless signal - Mac Networking

I have a brand new Linksys WAP54g that is transmitting my wirless signal. A brand new Imac with an "airport extreme" wirless card to "receive" signal (no mac base station). I believe you need the base station to get the "g" wirless, but "b" is just fine for me right now. When Imac is right next to WAP, I get an o.k signal. The imac signal strength bar (in the "open internet connect" window) is at about half way. The airport signal strength indicator in the top right corner of the screen moves between 2-3 lines. I would however, expect ...

  1. #1

    Default Weal wireless signal

    I have a brand new Linksys WAP54g that is transmitting my wirless
    signal. A brand new Imac with an "airport extreme" wirless card to
    "receive" signal (no mac base station). I believe you need the base
    station to get the "g" wirless, but "b" is just fine for me right now.

    When Imac is right next to WAP, I get an o.k signal. The imac signal
    strength bar (in the "open internet connect" window) is at about half
    way. The airport signal strength indicator in the top right corner of
    the screen moves between 2-3 lines. I would however, expect it to be
    all the way up (being right next to the WAP)? When I move the Imac to
    the adjacent room, I get no signal or a very very weak signal which
    drops out frequently. All other locations in the house get no signal
    either.

    So my "wireless" setup is not useful at this point. I am not sure if
    this is an Imac issue or a Linksys issue.

    Things I tried:
    * Resitting the airport card and reconnecting the small "antenna"
    chord to the card.
    * Changed channels on the WAP (10, 1 ,2..). All exhibit simialir
    peformance.
    * Upgrade Linksys with latest firmware (1.08).
    * Change WAP transmission to "B-only".
    * Changed position/location of WAP.

    Thanks in advance for any help/feedback anyone can provide..

    Ben Wallach
    [email]benwallachcomcast.net[/email]
    Ben Wallach Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Weal wireless signal

    Where do you have the router installed?

    Go to linksys.com and have a look around. They specifically say that the
    router should not be near thick concret wall, fish tank, or be on top of a
    metal filing cabinet.

    Good luck

    Brian

    skypilotNOSPAM@writeme.com Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Weak wireless signal

    Well I have isolated the problem to the IMac. Tried another WAP made by
    Cisco. I get the same signal strength which tells me that the IMac
    and/or the airport-extreme card are not picking up signal properly.

    Additional things I tried:

    - Moved WAP to different locations while observing signal strength (to
    discount "interference" cause).
    - Upgraded IMac to O.S. 10.2.6
    - Ran MAC OS hardware diagnostics test (from cd-rom)
    - Disconnected "antenna" from airport-extreme card and re-booted
    computer. The theory here being that maybe the antenna connection was
    actually doing more harm than good by shorting out somewhere....No luck
    though. Without antenna plugged into card, signal strength = 0..

    Thanks again for any help with IMac signal strength issues ??

  4. #4

    In article <3F630C7B.8030904comcast.net>,
    Ben Wallach <benwallachcomcast.net> wrote:
    > Thanks again for any help with IMac signal strength issues ??
    Sounds like the infamous atenna problem. Go to a place away from Base
    Station where you should be getting a good reception but have a weak
    signal anyway.

    Then move, ever so slightly, the lid/screen of the iBook a little
    forward or a little backward. If you're like a lot of people you'll find
    that the black bar indicators will go to full strength.
    Vincent Vega Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks for your suggestion Vincent. The computer in trouble is an IMac
    (not an IBook). However, I did try experimenting with different
    positions of the screen to no avail..

    I downloaded/installed "MacStumbler" and can see my network with a very
    weak signal being registered. It fluctuates between 25 and 28 ! My
    understanding is that a real good signal should register in the 90s on
    the MacStumbler scale. This is with the Imac 2-feet away from the WAP.
    At around 7-10 feet I loose all signal...

    So at this point it is starting to smell indeed like some sort of
    antenna issue. I don't really understand how the IMac antenna works ? Is
    it built into the monitor ?

    Thanks again..
    Ben

  6. #6

    In article <3F633053.3020605comcast.net>,
    Ben Wallach <benwallachcomcast.net> wrote:
    > Thanks for your suggestion Vincent. The computer in trouble is an IMac
    > (not an IBook).
    Sorry, I'm illiterate. :(
    Vincent Vega Guest

  7. #7

    | Thanks for your suggestion Vincent. The computer in trouble is an IMac
    | (not an IBook). However, I did try experimenting with different
    | positions of the screen to no avail..
    |
    | I downloaded/installed "MacStumbler" and can see my network with a very
    | weak signal being registered. It fluctuates between 25 and 28 ! My
    | understanding is that a real good signal should register in the 90s on
    | the MacStumbler scale. This is with the Imac 2-feet away from the WAP.
    | At around 7-10 feet I loose all signal...
    |
    | So at this point it is starting to smell indeed like some sort of
    | antenna issue. I don't really understand how the IMac antenna works ? Is
    | it built into the monitor ?

    Where is the MacStumbler software to be had?

    Not Me Guest

  8. #8

    > Where is the MacStumbler software to be had?

    MacStumbler.com

    Ben Wallach Guest

  9. #9

    In message <3F636210.40708comcast.net>, Ben Wallach
    <benwallachcomcast.net> writes
    >> Where is the MacStumbler software to be had?
    >
    >MacStumbler.com
    :-)
    Sorry, I couldn't help but smile... even though it's a reasonable
    question :-)
    --
    Tony Morgan
    Smile in the face of adversity - and adversity will probably

  10. #10

    | >> Where is the MacStumbler software to be had?
    | >
    | >MacStumbler.com
    |
    | :-)
    | Sorry, I couldn't help but smile... even though it's a reasonable
    | question :-)

    Reasonable or not as long as I get the answer. <g> Thanks.

    Not Me Guest