Professional Web Applications Themes

Web Gallery - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Create a Web gallery, then burn to CD. Now, .... is there any way to have the CD "autostart" at the index page? PeteD...

  1. #1

    Default Web Gallery

    Create a Web gallery, then burn to CD.

    Now, .... is there any way to have the CD "autostart" at the index page?

    PeteD

    Pete D Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Web Gallery

    Hi Pete,

    Create a file at the root of the CD. Name it AUTORUN.INF, then add the following lines :

    [autorun]
    open=AutoPlay.exe -c
    icon=Autoplay\PSELcd.ico
    "Pete D" <Miatapete no spam > a écrit dans le message de
    news:733B44084844650E98F0BC2297E1F2B8in.webx.la2e afNXanI...
    > Create a Web gallery, then burn to CD.
    >
    > Now, .... is there any way to have the CD "autostart" at the index page?
    >
    > PeteD

    Ray Guest

  3. #3

    Opps ! My system had a glitch and the message left before I completed it :)

    Hi Pete,

    Create a file at the root of the CD. Name it AUTORUN.INF, then add the following lines :

    [autorun]
    open=index.htm

    Save this file. Change index.htm to index.html, depending on what is on your web page.

    Ray
    P.S. Untested. So better try it on a CD-RW.

    "Ray" <carbone_2000hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
    news:43FBC11299D770952FC47134A8A8D76Din.webx.la2e afNXanI...
    > Hi Pete,
    >
    > Create a file at the root of the CD. Name it AUTORUN.INF, then add the following lines :
    >
    > [autorun]
    > open=AutoPlay.exe -c
    > icon=Autoplay\PSELcd.ico
    > "Pete D" <Miatapete no spam > a écrit dans le message de
    > news:733B44084844650E98F0BC2297E1F2B8in.webx.la2e afNXanI...
    > > Create a Web gallery, then burn to CD.
    > >
    > > Now, .... is there any way to have the CD "autostart" at the index page?
    > >
    > > PeteD

    Ray Guest

  4. #4

    Hey Ray, Good morning to ya.

    Root of the CD? I guess you mean in the first folder of the Web Gallery,
    where the index file is? Is that correct?

    Oh and you mention Home page. I don't want to connect to any page. Just
    be able to give the CD to Anyone with a computer and make it so they put it
    in an it starts at the index page automatically.

    PeteD

    Pete D Guest

  5. #5

    Let me rephrase...

    Your CD's drive letter is (let's suppose) E:

    So, at E:\, you create AUTORUN.INF, containing the lines I suggested to you.

    Then, burn your CD with your gallery + the AUTORUN.INF file.

    Once you'll insert the CD in a Windows XP / Me / 98, Windows will read the content of the CD and
    check for this specific file, if located at the root (E:\). If found, it will execute the command.
    In your case, this should open a web browser (IE or Netscape, depending on the viewer's
    configuration), displaying INDEX.HTM (the main page of your web gallery).

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  6. #6

    Ray,

    Hey Great Ray. I'll give it a "go" as that saying goes.

    Appreciate the instructions.

    PeteD

    Pete D Guest

  7. #7

    If it's not too late... try this on a CD-RW, in case it doesn't work.. You'll be able to e it
    afterwards.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  8. #8

    Great, Ray!! Now tell me how to do that so it'll autorun in either a Mac or a Win. :) I've created a couple of those recently, but I do the burning on a Mac and have an audience that's Win. I've just been adding instructions.
    Beth Haney Guest

  9. #9

    I have a few Mac CDs at home, but can't read them, so I can't understand how to make an auto-run CD
    for Mac :(

    The Autorun is a Microsoft as far as I can tell. However, I'm 100% sure that there must exist the
    same thing for Mac. Sorry, I can't be of any more help. Perhaps Barbara can?

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  10. #10

    OK, Ray, thanks! We'll hope somebody else can answer this question. And, if they do - pay attention! :)
    Beth Haney Guest

  11. #11

    Beth,

    I just checked Toast and there are references to making an autorun CD for Macs. I'll do a little more research as I'd like to know how to do this as well. I don't know if you'd be interested if you had to buy Toast but I'll check anyway.

    Joe
    Joe Henry1000 Guest

  12. #12

    Hi Ray,
    I too am intrested in this. Do I use these lines or the one on your follow up message?

    And Pete did it work?

    Thanks
    Scott
    Scott Nelson Guest

  13. #13

    Great, Joe! Check it out, because I do have Toast but haven't spent enough time looking through the options to spot that feature. You're so sweet. :)
    Beth Haney Guest

  14. #14

    You're so sweet.

    <Beth makes Joe blush>Ok Beth, here's how to do it. BTW this won't work in OS X, only 9.

    Fire up Toast Titanium and select "Create Temporary Partition" from the Utilities Menu. Once it mounts on your desktop, drag and drop your web gallery onto the Partition. Don't put all the web gallery files into a folder and then drag to the partition, leave them all loose otherwise the autostart feature won't work.

    Click and hold on the "Other" button in Toast's main window. You'll get a contextual menu by holding it down. Select "Mac Volume" from the contextual menu. Click the "Select" button and then navigate to the Temporary Partition you created in the first step that contains your web gallery. Selected it and then check the "Autostart" check box. This should bring up a navigation window showing your Temporary Partition. Select the index.html file as your autostart file.

    That's it! After you burn the disk, insert it into your CD drive and voila! The web gallery will open to your index page in what ever browser you have set as your default.

    It's actually a pretty cool way to share photo's if you ask me. You could also do this with a PDF slide show as well.

    Joe
    Joe Henry1000 Guest

  15. #15

    Cool, Joe!!! I'll be testing it pretty soon. I have a CD with a Gallery made for my s-i-l, but it hasn't been mailed yet. I'll try to get this perfected (easy, since most of my work is still in OS 9 anyway) and eliminate those instructions. :)
    Beth Haney Guest

  16. #16

    So I wonder if you could include Ray's AUTORUN.INF file (this is just a text file, right Ray?) and make this a hybrid CD that would work cross platform (even though you have to select "Mac Volume" in Toast).

    Hmmm... I might have to fire up VPC and check it out.

    Joe
    Joe Henry1000 Guest

  17. #17

    Yes!! I do want it cross platform. If it isn't, then it won't do what I want it to.

    By the way, Joe - I haven't tried one of these yet, but I was thinking about what you said about having the index.html separate from the folders created by Web Gallery. Here's what I've got. Maybe I'm being dense (always the first thing one should consider), but I can't figure out how to set this up:

    Currently: One folder labeled "Trip". Inside that folder are six separate folders, one for each major section of the trip. Then, I'd used PageMill to tie them all to a master index.htm, which lists the various sub-galleries and has links to the index of each gallery. The master index is in the "Trip" folder, too.

    BUT, when I take that master index doc out of the folder (per your instruction to load the index separately from the folder), the links to the indexes of the various galleries get broken.

    This is the part where my brain is drawing a blank: How do I keep the main index separate from the various gallery folders so I can load into Toast according to your instructions? Should I be setting all of these pieces up on the desktop, without any folders? Duh. The answer to this is going to be extremely simple, you know. :)
    Beth Haney Guest

  18. #18

    Scott, Pete,

    Here's what I found : First, it's not so easy, because you need to know to whom your sending it
    (rather, what operating system they have and their CD-ROM drive designation).

    The AUTORUN.INF file needs to contain those two lines :

    [autorun]
    open=c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe e:\index.htm

    In this case, I'm running Windows XP and it stores Internet Explorer in C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET
    EXPLORER.
    Next, E:\index.htm, where E:\ is my CD-ROM drive letter, and index.htm is the main file for the Web
    Gallery created by Photoshop Elements 2.0

    Now, I'll research more into this AUTORUN.INF file, what options are opened to have it seek Internet
    Explorer (or the current default browser) and the first CD-ROM drive (on my system, I have two hard
    drives, C and D, and two CD-ROM, E and F).

    I'll post again as soon as I find something,

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  19. #19

    Hmmm... Toast has an option for a hybrid Mac Volume/ISO CD but I couldn't get windows to run the AutoRun.INF file. My first try resulted in a CD that I could mount in Windows and if I double clicked the index.html file IE would open but all the links were broken in the gallery (gallery was created with Mac PSE2 not Windows). My second try resulted in a CD that made Windows (2000 btw) return this message <http://homepage.mac.com/josephhenry/error.jpg> upon insertion of the CD and then this message <http://homepage.mac.com/josephhenry/error1.jpg> when I tried to access the CD from My Computer.

    This was the text I entered in the AUTORUN file:

    [AutoRun]
    open=c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE\e:\index.html

    Any Windows folks want to take a shot at what's wrong here? Ray, Chuck, Bueller, anyone? Should I not have put the "\" between the IEXPLORE.EXE and the e:?

    Joe
    Joe Henry1000 Guest

  20. #20

    Joe,
    >open=c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE\e:\index.html
    Should have read :

    open=c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE e:\index.html

    (replace the \ between IEXPLORE.EXE and e:\index.html with a blank space)

    I know very, very, very little about Windows 2000 (asside from the Start button... !), so I can't
    help here with those error messages.

    Also, on PSE 2.0 for Windows, the web gallery's main file in index.htm, not html.

    Finally, e:\ is the drive letter for *my* CD-ROM. You can't use it, it's mine.. (kidding..)
    Usually, systems are set up that C:\ is the hard drive and D:\ is the CD-ROM drive. In my case, I
    got a bizarre machine and I have two hard drives, two CD-ROMs (well, 1 CD-DVD ROM and 1 CD burner).
    So, basically, on a typical machine, you should use d:\index.htm

    HTH :)

    Ray

    Ray Guest

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast