Professional Web Applications Themes

Web Gallery Creater doesn't support chinese characters! WHY? - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I tried typing in Chinese characters into the captions/titles of JPGs, but when I tried creating a web gallery, all the characters turned into question marks! Also long captions get cut off. Are there any fixes to this?...

  1. #1

    Default Web Gallery Creater doesn't support chinese characters! WHY?

    I tried typing in Chinese characters into the captions/titles of JPGs, but when I tried creating a web gallery, all the characters turned into question marks! Also long captions get cut off. Are there any fixes to this?
    Q3 Master Guest

  2. #2

    I started to respond to this question earlier, except I didn't know the answer! I decided to post something so it would come back up toward the top of the list.

    I'm assuming you've got the preferences set to type in Asian characters, but they're not displaying in the Web Gallery, right?
    Beth Haney Guest

  3. #3

    I don't know about the long titles, but the web gallery is warning you that unless the people viewing your site have Chinese fonts installed and their browsers set to allow them to use them, they won't see those characters.

    For the web there are two ways to make type: html or graphic type (usually gif). For html, you can only sort of suggest what font you want the viewer's browser to use. For instance, if I choose to use Helvetica as the font for my html and your computer uses Arial as the default sans serif font, you will see my type as Arial rather than Helvetica.

    If I want to use a fancy typeface and make sure that it will display just as I entered it, I would make the type into a gif, so that it really displays as an image rather than live html type.

    The problem with using Chinese typefaces for html, which is most likely what the web gallery is creating, is that viewers won't have any way to see those characters unless they 1. have an equivalent style of Chinese font, and 2. have that character set enabled in their browser.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  4. #4

    When I typed in the Chinese characters inside Photoshop, they looked perfectly fine. I did a search and it turned out Photoshop doesn't support unicode characters! Check this out: <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2bd12.htm>

    So now I have to manually copy and paste the captions into html pages. I tried doing it with one JPG file, and it works 100%. I have almost 120 pics, so it's gonna take several hours of copying and pasting. :(
    Q3 Master Guest

  5. #5

    Yes, but before you do them all, I would post one page and have somebody else look at it on their computer and see if it displays correctly.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  6. #6

    If you embed the labels on your images you will not have to worry about this
    limitation of Elements. In fact you will not have to worry about other
    people having Chinese character support on their browsers or not

    G.

    Grant Dixon Guest

  7. #7

    I took some Japanese lessons last year and as soon as I started to surf on
    websites that didn't display Japanese symbols as pictures (JPG or GIF),
    rather showing them as a normal alphabet characters, IE 6 invited me to
    install the proper font from the Microsoft website. I don't know if it's
    the case for everyone, but for me, it solved my problems.

    Now, I still have 12000 characters to master... ;-)

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  8. #8

    Hi, Ray. Yes, exactly. If you are sure that everyone viewing your website will have Chinese fonts and have them enabled in their viewer, Q3 Master, then there is no problem. But if you are putting these photos up for viewing by people who would have only roman fonts and western character sets, you need to think about whether or not they would be likely to do as Ray did. Most people wouldn't even know how. So Grant's suggestion is a good one.
    Barbara Brundage Guest