Professional Web Applications Themes

Web Gallery - Destination Folder - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I want to create a Web Gallery and then of course view it. There is no information in the User Guide as to where the preferred destination folder should be? I also suspect that you have to create the folder before you can send something there. Clue - when it comes to destination folders and such I am a bit slow. Also I may want to send my created Web Gallery to a Frontpage 2002 folder. How do you do that? Hope someone can help, Snaps...

  1. #1

    Default Web Gallery - Destination Folder

    Robert_D_Snaps@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Web Gallery - Destination Folder

    When you're down in the section about the Destination folder, you can navigate through your hard drive and either choose a folder that's already been created or set up a new one. I wouldn't recommend putting a Gallery within an existing folder (of course that could just be me), but you can create a specific folder marked something like "Family 2003 Gallery" and place it within another folder.

    I don't use Frontpage, but isn't that software for creating Web sites? If so, you'll only need to create a link to the index page of the Web Gallery from your Frontpage. And, at least on my Mac, this is where it's important for all of the various docs created by the Web Gallery to remain together and separate from other doents. When Elements creates the Gallery, it has to be able to identify a path to follow consistently. If you create your Gallery in one folder and then move your index page somewhere else, you loose the link.

    The best way for you to approach this is to create a small folder with some images - maybe no more than five or six - and then create a test gallery. That will let you get a feel for what you wind up with. It's very hard to give specific instructions, because people have their own way of managing files and folders, and what makes perfect sense to one person might not be workable for somebody else.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks Beth,

    I understand the part about accessing the C drive through the Destination Option in Elements. I would also create a new folder. But where do I create the new folder? Is it OK to create a new folder in my My Doents folder? or should in be in Programs or something else? I am thinking that once I make the file transfer I will have access to an HTML doent? Can I just double click on it and will it launch in a browser?

    Yes, Frontpage is a web design tool. My concern here is that a Frontpage Web already has an index page and also a special folder for pictures. Seems like there might be some conflict in importing a Photo Gallery created in Elements into Frontpage? But if you don't use Frontpage how could you know?

    The reason I am interesting in importing Galleries from Elements to Frontpage is that I have been unable to discover how to control the layout of the pictures that the thumbnails go to using Frontpage Galleries. Also I like variety.

    But your suggestion to start with a small setup is excellent and that is what I will do.

    Beth is the best.

    Thanks,

  4. #4

    Ah, you're right, if I don't use Frontpage, I'm not much of an expert! I have used two similar applications for the Mac, though. Each also creates its own index page, but what I do is give my gallery some kind of descriptive name and then do a link to the index page created by the Elements Web Photo Gallery. I bet you can do something similar with your Frontpage. I can actually use one index page in my "Frontpage equivalent" to link to any number of individual web galleries. In terms of where to place that gallery on your hard drive, I'd practice with my test folder in a couple of different places and see what happens. My best guess is that your Web Gallery folder could live nicely in your Frontpage "Pictures" folder and be accessible. Just put it where you want it before you create that link from the Frontpage Index Page, though, so that the path remains the same.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    <com> wrote in message ...

    Frontpage is that I have been unable to discover how to control the layout
    of the pictures that the thumbnails go to using Frontpage Galleries. Also I
    like variety.

    Frontpage and Elements have different ideas about HTML. If you are having
    layout problems in Frontpage, then it is due to the fact that Frontpage is
    interpreting the imported Elements HTML according to its rules.

    It is probably best that you place all Elements files in a subfolder
    "photos/subfolderX/" in your website, and go from there.

    This also helps solve the challenge "how do you index all of the Galleries
    you place into the photos subfolder?"

    In this folder "photos" you have to create an index page for all of the
    subfolders contained within. It sounds like you'll use Frontpage to do this.

    After dealing with this for several months, I went to a server-based
    solution, as it took too much time.

    Ed_Wurster@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks Ed for the info. I didn't follow your last comment though - I went to a server-based solution?

    I also have another question. Is there an easy way to add new snaps to an existing web gallery? I tried to send a second folder of snaps to my existing web gallery, using the existing web gallery filename as the destination folder, and although all the pictures from both groups are in the images, pages, and thumbnail files the linkage between the two groups is broken.

    My original web gallery was two pages. The added snaps overwrite the first page and provide no link to the second page.

    I suspect the answer to my question is no but who knows, I'm wrong about a thousand times a day.

  7. #7

    Well, the good news is that you aren't wrong again! The bad news is that editing those galleries is so hard that I find it easier to just start over, especially if you're trying to link two. What I have done, though, is create an index page and list the index.htm of each gallery on it. That way you could go to the final image of the first set and create your own link to the index.htm of the second gallery. Of course, I use an old version of Adobe PageMill, so I don't know how gracefully your FrontPage would do something like that.

    I think Ed may have been referring to something like pBase, which is an internet site that makes it extremely easy to post photos on the web. Quite a few members of the forum use it. There's a 30 day free trial period, and then there's a modest yearly fee - or I think I'm remembering that right anyway. I'm close!
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Beth is the best. Well at least I think so. You are like a hawk, hovering high, always there to help. Bless you.

    I did use the word easy though and I hate to admit it, but I just ain't as cool as you guys. I really didn't follow what you were saying. But give me some time and I will be putting the boot in and kicking it up a notch. But for now I think I will just redo the gallery.

    I have one last question and then I am going to cut loose for awhile, remembering, the magick is in the doing.

    I am trying to tweak the HTLM code. I was able to do it once, but after that I am messing up. The last time I messed up, and I messed up more than once, I was trying to change the font size of the banner on the frameset page. I viewed source. Made font size change. Save as - cut and pasted the name of the file. Was told there was already a file by that name did I want to change it. Yes. Refreshed page and it was messed up. I know a little bit about HTML, so that wasn't it.

    How do you tweak the HTML code successfully? I know the code, it is the saving the file that is messing me up. And remember I am a virgin. Please nothing like you matrix inverse the null around the bounded set.

  9. #9

    I'd really love to respond to this after those nice things you said about me, but I don't do code! I think the trick is inversing the null around the bounded set, though. :)

    Are you trying to change the font size in a gallery that's already completed? I've made some EXTREMELY minor changes to the way the Web Gallery is formated, but I copied one of the style folders, did my changes on the individual pages, saved the changes, and renamed the folder to something descriptive like "Beth." Now, when I want to use that gallery style, I choose it from the list. I haven't ever tried changing anything within a gallery that's already been run - just the template for it. Well, I lie. I did try changing something within a complete gallery once. That's why I suggested you not try it. That was a mess.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    OK I lied. But you always leave out the good stuff. Where is the styles folder?

    Smile,

  11. #11

    You have to burrow down into your hard drive. Find the Elements application folder, and then go to Presets>WebContactSheet. Inside that folder you'll find more folders corresponding to the various Styles you can choose for your Web Gallery.

    When you get good at this, I'll send you my folder and you can do some more customizing for me. :)
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest