Professional Web Applications Themes

Web/MySql Hosting, - MySQL

Hi, I know that most of web hosting companies provide a web bases interface to MySql to manage databases hosted by them. Is there any MySql hosting that exposes the actual MySql TCP port 3306 to the Internet, so I can remotely connect to MySql database and directly work with tables? Thank you, Alan...

  1. #1

    Default Web/MySql Hosting,

    Hi,

    I know that most of web hosting companies provide a web bases interface
    to MySql to manage databases hosted by them.

    Is there any MySql hosting that exposes the actual MySql TCP port 3306
    to the Internet, so I can remotely connect to MySql database and
    directly work with tables?

    Thank you,
    Alan

    gmax2006 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Web/MySql Hosting,

    gmax2006 wrote:
    > Is there any MySql hosting that exposes the actual MySql TCP port 3306
    > to the Internet, so I can remotely connect to MySql database and
    > directly work with tables?
    I wouldn't expect there to be any hosting provider who does this. MySQL
    is not a very secure daemon, and it would require careful configuration
    and constant monitoring to avoid being hacked, if one exposed 3306 to
    the internet. I would expect any hosting provider to use the policy of,
    "close all ports except those that are absolutely necessary".

    You can use web-based tools. Most hosting providers who provide MySQL,
    also provide a web-based administration interface. Most commonly they
    choose phpMyAdmin, but there are other options too.

    You can also find a hosting provider who gives you shell access.
    They're not very common, but there are some hosting services who offer
    this. You can then ssh into the server and use command-line mysql
    utilities.

    Regards,
    Bill K.
    Bill Karwin Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Web/MySql Hosting,

    Bill Karwin wrote:
    > gmax2006 wrote:
    >> Is there any MySql hosting that exposes the actual MySql TCP port 3306
    >> to the Internet, so I can remotely connect to MySql database and
    >> directly work with tables?
    >
    > [..]
    >
    > You can also find a hosting provider who gives you shell access. They're
    > not very common, but there are some hosting services who offer this.
    > You can then ssh into the server and use command-line mysql utilities.
    Or use the ssh tunneling feature to tunnel port 3306 to your own computer.

    --
    Philipp Tölke
    PGP 0x96A1FE7A
    Philipp Tölke Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: Web/MySql Hosting,

    gmax2006 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I know that most of web hosting companies provide a web bases interface
    > to MySql to manage databases hosted by them.
    >
    > Is there any MySql hosting that exposes the actual MySql TCP port 3306
    > to the Internet, so I can remotely connect to MySql database and
    > directly work with tables?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Alan
    >
    Yes.
    [url]http://www.db4free.net/[/url]

    ciao
    gmax

    --
    _ _ _ _
    (_|| | |(_|>< The Data Charmer
    _|
    [url]http://datacharmer.org/[/url]
    Giuseppe Maxia Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: Web/MySql Hosting,

    Philipp Tölke wrote:
    > Bill Karwin wrote:
    >
    >>gmax2006 wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is there any MySql hosting that exposes the actual MySql TCP port 3306
    >>>to the Internet, so I can remotely connect to MySql database and
    >>>directly work with tables?
    >>
    >>[..]
    >>
    >>You can also find a hosting provider who gives you shell access. They're
    >>not very common, but there are some hosting services who offer this.
    >>You can then ssh into the server and use command-line mysql utilities.
    >
    >
    > Or use the ssh tunneling feature to tunnel port 3306 to your own computer.
    >
    MySQL would still have to be configured to listen to the port - and most
    shared hosts do not allow it. They only allow socket access - and
    tunneling can't access the socket.

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address
    Jerry Stuckle
    JDS Computer Training Corp.
    [email]jstucklexattglobal.net[/email]
    ==================
    Jerry Stuckle Guest

  6. #6

    Default Re: Web/MySql Hosting,

    Giuseppe Maxia wrote:
    > gmax2006 wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I know that most of web hosting companies provide a web bases interface
    >>to MySql to manage databases hosted by them.
    >>
    >>Is there any MySql hosting that exposes the actual MySql TCP port 3306
    >>to the Internet, so I can remotely connect to MySql database and
    >>directly work with tables?
    >>
    >>Thank you,
    >>Alan
    >>
    >
    >
    > Yes.
    > [url]http://www.db4free.net/[/url]
    >
    > ciao
    > gmax
    >
    Interesting.

    Doesn't look too secure, though. I'd be interested in using them for
    development/testing but not production.

    Good to know they're around.

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address
    Jerry Stuckle
    JDS Computer Training Corp.
    [email]jstucklexattglobal.net[/email]
    ==================
    Jerry Stuckle Guest

  7. #7

    Default Re: Web/MySql Hosting,

    Jerry Stuckle wrote:
    >> Or use the ssh tunneling feature to tunnel port 3306 to your own
    >> computer.
    >>
    > MySQL would still have to be configured to listen to the port - and most
    > shared hosts do not allow it. They only allow socket access - and
    > tunneling can't access the socket.
    Uh, yes you are right there.

    I just knew I used that feature -- but that was on a root-server I had.
    There of course I was free to puncture the security all I liked. ;-)

    Sorry,
    --
    Philipp Tölke
    PGP 0x96A1FE7A
    Philipp Tölke Guest

  8. #8

    Default Re: Web/MySql Hosting,

    Philipp Tölke wrote:
    > Jerry Stuckle wrote:
    >
    >>>Or use the ssh tunneling feature to tunnel port 3306 to your own
    >>>computer.
    >>>
    >>
    >>MySQL would still have to be configured to listen to the port - and most
    >>shared hosts do not allow it. They only allow socket access - and
    >>tunneling can't access the socket.
    >
    >
    > Uh, yes you are right there.
    >
    > I just knew I used that feature -- but that was on a root-server I had.
    > There of course I was free to puncture the security all I liked. ;-)
    >
    > Sorry,
    Yep, I've got it on my vps's. Normally I keep it turned off - but when
    I need it it's an easy change and restart of MySQL.

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address
    Jerry Stuckle
    JDS Computer Training Corp.
    [email]jstucklexattglobal.net[/email]
    ==================
    Jerry Stuckle Guest

Similar Threads

  1. Web Hosting for Flash/ColdFusion/MySQL
    By Hawk98 in forum Macromedia Flash Data Integration
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 24th, 10:37 PM
  2. Hosting Company CF/MySQL/Phpmyadmin
    By Boiler2005 in forum Macromedia ColdFusion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: March 8th, 11:54 AM
  3. Advice for setting up local hosting/mysql/php ?
    By Charley in forum PHP Development
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 7th, 12:48 PM
  4. Installing Suse Linux 8.2 for hosting PHP/MySQL on a LAN
    By Jeff Breitner in forum Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 6th, 03:05 PM
  5. Free PHP & mySQL hosting
    By Rob Mac in forum PHP Development
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 12th, 12:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139