Professional Web Applications Themes

Web site rebuild - Web Design

Greetings Don, As another Publisher user who chose to use Publisher to design and build my web site, I observe you asking many of the same questions I and others ask. While I realize that David Bartosik's site is a bit overwhelming with all that it offers, I recommend that you dig in and at least scan the subject matter. I continue to go back and read, and learn something new each time. And if I had spent more time there before I started designing my site, I would have saved a lot of time and frustration as I would ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Web site rebuild

    Greetings Don, As another Publisher user who chose to use Publisher to
    design and build my web site, I observe you asking many of the same
    questions I and others ask. While I realize that David Bartosik's site is a
    bit overwhelming with all that it offers, I recommend that you dig in and at
    least scan the subject matter. I continue to go back and read, and learn
    something new each time. And if I had spent more time there before I started
    designing my site, I would have saved a lot of time and frustration as I
    would have learned not only what I can do with Publisher, but also what the
    limitations are. I would at least read David's FAQ page, and specifically
    the question: Q- My page is all to the left with a right empty border. It
    will probably answer your question.

    Some feedback about your site? I gave up when your home page was still
    if you want people with dial up modems to stay around...FWIW.

    And by the way, one of my old ISPs used to be Pacifier...yes, I live in
    another one of those special cities in the NW. DavidF

    "Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngrBabyBell.fake_address> wrote in message
    > Recent comments by helping folks regarding my attempt to create a web site
    > has caused me to rethink my approach.
    > So, I've redone it but have a question.
    >
    > How do I make the display use the entire width of the monitor when
    visiting
    > it on the Internet.?
    >
    > On my 19" Hitachi CM751 the width is 14 5/8" but the site display only
    uses
    > 10". Is there a way it would fill the width no matter what size of the
    > monitor?
    >
    > To see what I'm talking about, I'm at:
    >
    > [url]http://www.pacifier.com/~dschmidt/OSIA%20Vancouver%20USA/[/url]
    >
    > On the home page the green bar at the top is supposed to go all the way to
    > the right side of the screen.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >

    > --
    > Don
    > Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America!

    DavidF Guest

  2. #2

    Don, I took my own advise and just spent some time reading over David's site
    again, and found further reference to your question on the Web Master Tips
    page. DavidF

  3. #3

    you are correct. I have barvin.com coded that way.
    not something you can do with Publisher I'm afraid.
    though I have asked for it.
    it has been my observation that the majority of sites do not use centering
    and do not use percentage widths. the vast majority do use fixed width such
    as davidbartosik.com does.
    a couple of examples are msn.com and cnn.com.
    if the white bothers you than do as msn.com and davidbartosik.com have done.
    set the background to a color of your liking.

    --
    David Bartosik - Microsoft MVP
    Visit [url]www.davidbartosik.com[/url]

    "DavidF" <No_mailspam.com> wrote in message
    > Don, I took my own advise and just spent some time reading over David's
    site
    > again, and found further reference to your question on the Web Master Tips
    > page. DavidF
    >
    > "Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngrBabyBell.fake_address> wrote in message
    > > Recent comments by helping folks regarding my attempt to create a web
    site
    > > has caused me to rethink my approach.
    > > So, I've redone it but have a question.
    > >
    > > How do I make the display use the entire width of the monitor when
    > visiting
    > > it on the Internet.?
    > >
    > > On my 19" Hitachi CM751 the width is 14 5/8" but the site display only
    > uses
    > > 10". Is there a way it would fill the width no matter what size of the
    > > monitor?
    > >
    > > To see what I'm talking about, I'm at:
    > >
    > > [url]http://www.pacifier.com/~dschmidt/OSIA%20Vancouver%20USA/[/url]
    > >
    > > On the home page the green bar at the top is supposed to go all the way
    > > the right side of the screen.
    > >
    > > Thank you.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Don
    > > Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America!

    David Bartosik - MS MVP Guest

  4. #4

    I myself refer to [url]www.echoecho.com[/url] for page load testing.
    the site is kinda busy but there is a part on there for entering a url and
    testing the page load time.