Professional Web Applications Themes

webmin - Sun Solaris

hi all. I am trying to get webmin 1.090 to install on solaris 9. it uncompresses to a .pkg file but i can not get the .pkg file to install with the tool on solaris pkdadd or what ever it is. does anyone have any experience with this problem? tia...

  1. #1

    Default webmin

    hi all. I am trying to get webmin 1.090 to install on solaris 9. it
    uncompresses to a .pkg file but i can not get the .pkg file to install with
    the tool on solaris pkdadd or what ever it is.

    does anyone have any experience with this problem?

    tia
    NM Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: webmin

    NM wrote:
    > hi all. I am trying to get webmin 1.090 to install on solaris 9. it
    > uncompresses to a .pkg file but i can not get the .pkg file to install with
    > the tool on solaris pkdadd or what ever it is.
    >
    > does anyone have any experience with this problem?

    Assuming what you got is a precompiled solaris binary for the
    right target environment , SPARC or INTEL , packaged in a
    pkgadd compatible stream-archive.....

    it should install with

    # pkgadd -d ./webadmin.pkg

    if the filename is webadmin.pkg in the present directory.

    this is different from how you install a pkgadd file-system-archive
    that you have on say the Solaris OE cd's

    If the package is in filesystem format you do :

    # pkgadd -d . package-name

    and pkgadd runs around in all the imediate subdirectories to see if
    there is any pkginfo files in there with the desired package name in.

    //Lars

    Lars Tunkrans Guest

  3. #3

    Lars Tunkrans wrote:

    > NM wrote:
    >
    >> hi all. I am trying to get webmin 1.090 to install on solaris 9. it
    >> uncompresses to a .pkg file but i can not get the .pkg file to install
    >> with the tool on solaris pkdadd or what ever it is.
    >>
    >> does anyone have any experience with this problem?
    >>

    > Assuming what you got is a precompiled solaris binary for the
    > right target environment , SPARC or INTEL , packaged in a
    > pkgadd compatible stream-archive.....
    >
    > it should install with
    >
    > # pkgadd -d ./webadmin.pkg
    >
    > if the filename is webadmin.pkg in the present directory.
    >
    > this is different from how you install a pkgadd file-system-archive
    > that you have on say the Solaris OE cd's
    >
    > If the package is in filesystem format you do :
    >
    > # pkgadd -d . package-name
    >
    > and pkgadd runs around in all the imediate subdirectories to see if
    > there is any pkginfo files in there with the desired package name in.
    >
    > //Lars
    thanks lars, I tried it and get the folowing error's

    pkgadd error:attempt to process data stream failed

    -bad format in data stream table-of-contents
    pkgadd error: could not proccess data stream from [path]

    does this mean I have the wrong file?

    thanks lars

    NM Guest

  4. #4

    NM <c_n_nzhotmail.com> wrote:
    > Lars Tunkrans wrote:
    >>

    >> NM wrote:
    >>
    >>> hi all. I am trying to get webmin 1.090 to install on solaris 9. it
    >>> uncompresses to a .pkg file but i can not get the .pkg file to install
    >>> with the tool on solaris pkdadd or what ever it is.
    >>>
    >>> does anyone have any experience with this problem?
    >>>

    >> Assuming what you got is a precompiled solaris binary for the
    >> right target environment , SPARC or INTEL , packaged in a
    >> pkgadd compatible stream-archive.....
    >>
    >> it should install with
    >>
    >> # pkgadd -d ./webadmin.pkg
    >>
    >> if the filename is webadmin.pkg in the present directory.
    >>
    >> this is different from how you install a pkgadd file-system-archive
    >> that you have on say the Solaris OE cd's
    >>
    >> If the package is in filesystem format you do :
    >>
    >> # pkgadd -d . package-name
    >>
    >> and pkgadd runs around in all the imediate subdirectories to see if
    >> there is any pkginfo files in there with the desired package name in.
    >>
    >> //Lars
    > thanks lars, I tried it and get the folowing error's
    > pkgadd error:attempt to process data stream failed
    > -bad format in data stream table-of-contents
    > pkgadd error: could not proccess data stream from [path]
    > does this mean I have the wrong file?
    > thanks lars
    Yes, you do.

    Webmin for Solaris is installed by just untarring the distribution file
    into an appropriate directory and running setup.sh.

    BTW, 1.100 is the current release.

    --
    Jim Pennino
    Jim Pennino Guest

  5. #5

    hi all I have done this before but can not remember how I did it .

    I have webmin downloaded and installed using pkg-get

    samba 2.2.8a for solaris 9 x86 anyway I have let the pkg-get download it
    and install it. everything seemed to go fine. when I try to get to it my
    entering locahost:10000 or 127.0.0.1:10000 or my ip and :10000 I get
    connection refused. same if I use https. what have I done wrong?

    I can not seem to get it to work

    tia

    NM Guest

  6. #6

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:45:31 +1200, NM wrote:

    If you only want to configure samba then add these lines in /etc/inet

    inetd.conf:

    swat stream tcp nowait root /opt/csw/sbin/swat swat

    services:

    swat 901/tcp

    Then pkill -HUP inetd.

    Now you should be able to access swat at http://localhost:901

    Dave Guest

  7. #7

    "Dave Uhring" <com> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]
    it

    > If you only want to configure samba then add these lines in /etc/inet
    >
    > inetd.conf:
    >
    > swat stream tcp nowait root /opt/csw/sbin/swat swat
    >

    > services:
    >
    > swat 901/tcp
    >
    > Then pkill -HUP inetd.
    >
    > Now you should be able to access swat at http://localhost:901[/ref]

    sorry dave I am a complete idiot. I conbined to issues that am working on.
    terribly sorry but thanks for helping me out on one of

    I will repost the real issue that I am having .........man I need a vacation

    NM Guest