Professional Web Applications Themes

Webservice Timeout in Visual Studio 2003 - ASP.NET Web Services

I have posted this question before but did not get a reply from Microsoft so I thought I would try it again. I can’t get any webservices to work in Visual Studio 2003. If I use IE or run the EXE then everything works fine. There seems to be a lot of posts in the newsgroups about this problem but no solution. Can anyone help shed some light on this problem? It can’t be code related since the EXE works and it can’t be network related because IE works. Or am I overlooking something? -John KingDuck...

  1. #1

    Default Webservice Timeout in Visual Studio 2003

    I have posted this question before but did not get a reply from Microsoft so
    I thought I would try it again.

    I can’t get any webservices to work in Visual Studio 2003. If I use IE or
    run the EXE then everything works fine.

    There seems to be a lot of posts in the newsgroups about this problem but no
    solution.

    Can anyone help shed some light on this problem? It can’t be code related
    since the EXE works and it can’t be network related because IE works. Or am I
    overlooking something?

    -John
    KingDuck

    John Nelson Guest

  2. #2

    Default RE: Webservice Timeout in Visual Studio 2003

    | I have posted this question before but did not get a reply from Microsoft
    so
    | I thought I would try it again.
    |
    | I can’t get any webservices to work in Visual Studio 2003. If I use IE
    or
    | run the EXE then everything works fine.
    |
    | There seems to be a lot of posts in the newsgroups about this problem but
    no
    | solution.
    |
    | Can anyone help shed some light on this problem? It can’t be code
    related
    | since the EXE works and it can’t be network related because IE works.
    Or am I
    | overlooking something?
    |
    | -John
    | KingDuck

    Hi John,

    When you say you can't get webservices to work from VS.NET 2003, are you
    referring to the ability to add a web reference? If so, the following
    should help:

    307303 INFO: Troubleshooting Add Web Reference Issues
    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307303[/url]

    HTH,
    Lucas Canavan | Support Professional | MCSD | MCSD for .NET | Microsoft
    Developer Support

    Lucas Canavan [MSFT] Guest

  3. #3

    It's a timeout error and it only happens when I am in Visual Studio 2003
    debugging. I have no problems using a webservice in the EXE or using IE.

    -John

    "Lucas Canavan [MSFT]" wrote:
    > | I have posted this question before but did not get a reply from Microsoft
    > so
    > | I thought I would try it again.
    > |
    > | I can’t get any webservices to work in Visual Studio 2003. If I use IE
    > or
    > | run the EXE then everything works fine.
    > |
    > | There seems to be a lot of posts in the newsgroups about this problem but
    > no
    > | solution.
    > |
    > | Can anyone help shed some light on this problem? It can’t be code
    > related
    > | since the EXE works and it can’t be network related because IE works.
    > Or am I
    > | overlooking something?
    > |
    > | -John
    > | KingDuck
    > |

    > Hi John,
    >
    > When you say you can't get webservices to work from VS.NET 2003, are you
    > referring to the ability to add a web reference? If so, the following
    > should help:
    >
    > 307303 INFO: Troubleshooting Add Web Reference Issues
    > [url]http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307303[/url]
    >
    > HTH,
    > Lucas Canavan | Support Professional | MCSD | MCSD for .NET | Microsoft
    > Developer Support

    John Nelson Guest

  4. #4

    | > | I have posted this question before but did not get a reply from
    Microsoft
    | > so
    | > | I thought I would try it again.
    | > |
    | > | I can’t get any webservices to work in Visual Studio 2003. If
    I use IE
    | > or
    | > | run the EXE then everything works fine.
    | > |
    | > | There seems to be a lot of posts in the newsgroups about this problem
    but
    | > no
    | > | solution.
    | > |
    | > | Can anyone help shed some light on this problem? It can’t be
    code
    | > related
    | > | since the EXE works and it can’t be network related because IE
    works.
    | > Or am I
    | > | overlooking something?
    | > |
    | > | -John
    | > | KingDuck
    | > |

    | > Hi John,
    | >
    | > When you say you can't get webservices to work from VS.NET 2003, are
    you
    | > referring to the ability to add a web reference? If so, the following
    | > should help:
    | >
    | > 307303 INFO: Troubleshooting Add Web Reference Issues
    | > [url]http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307303[/url]
    | >
    | > HTH,
    | > Lucas Canavan | Support Professional | MCSD | MCSD for .NET | Microsoft
    | > Developer Support

    rights

    | It's a timeout error and it only happens when I am in Visual Studio 2003
    | debugging. I have no problems using a webservice in the EXE or using IE.
    |
    | -John

    Hi John,

    Try increasing the "maxconnection" setting in machine.config. More info:

    821268 PRB: Contention, Poor Performance, and Deadlocks When You Make Web
    Service Requests from ASP.NET Applications
    <http://support.microsoft.com/?id=821268>

    If problem persists, it might be worthwhile trying .NET 1.1 SP1.

    Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 for Windows Server 2003
    <[url]http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=AE7EDEF7-2CB7-4864[/url]
    -8623-A1038563DF23&displaylang=en>

    Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 [for Windows 2000/XP

    <[url]http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A8F5654F-088E-40B2[/url]
    -BBDB-A83353618B38&displaylang=en>

    If the problem still persists, I suggest opening a support incident with
    Microsoft. More info: [url]http://support.microsoft.com[/url]

  5. #5

    I can't modify the machine.config of the webservices. Hosting companies and
    other webservices I found off of google won't allow that. I tried the
    suggestions on my own machine.config just to see if it would hep but it
    didn't. :-(

    I also tried the .Net Service Pack but it did not help. I would rather not
    pay to open a support incident as I feel as though there is not a problem on
    my end.

    There are other news group posting of people who have had the same problem I
    just can't find any of the solutions that were used.

    As stated, it works with IE and a compiled EXE so code changes should not be
    needed. Perhaps it's a firewall issue? I guess I am just stuck with it. I
    have a feeling that if I reinstall my machine it will fix the problem but of
    course that is a last resort.

    -John

    John Nelson Guest