Professional Web Applications Themes

WebServices break after upgrade to Framework 1.1 - ASP.NET General

  1. #1

    Default WebServices break after upgrade to Framework 1.1

    I recently upgraded my server to Windows 2003. The first thing I noticed is
    that my sample WebService pages no longer worked. The Invoke test button is
    missing. This is addresed by the following KB article:

    Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 819267
    INFO: HTTP GET and HTTP POST Are Disabled by Default

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819267

    The article advises that a new block be inserted into Web.config (or into
    machine.config).

    <webServices>
    <protocols>
    <add name="HttpGet"/>
    <add name="HttpPost"/>
    </protocols>
    </webServices>

    OK, I used the advice in that article to adjust my web.config file and now
    the Invoke button is restored on my WebService test pages. However, here's
    what I get when I press the Invoke button:

    File or assembly name _03c_moy.dll, or one of its dependencies, was not
    found.

    Press it again:
    File or assembly name 7g5kkds2.dll, or one of its dependencies, was not
    found.

    And again:
    File or assembly name 3ah-fp0w.dll, or one of its dependencies, was not
    found.

    Every time I invoke the service I get a messgae telling me that a randomly
    named dll is not found. If you want, you can stop by
    www.fpsnow.com/pdportal.asmx to check this out for yourself. Does anyone
    know what's going on here? (I'd just like to stress that these service pages
    were working flawlessly before the upgrade.)

    Ancillary questions: My application was developed, compiled and targetd for
    framework 1.0, since at the time that was, after all, the only framework in
    existence. Now that the machine is upgraded with a new framework 1.1, does
    the application run under its original framework or under the new framework?
    Shouldn't applications be locked down to the framework to which they are
    originally targeted?

    Thanks for you help!

    - Joe Geretz -

    Joseph Guest

  2. #2

    I feel your pain. I had to do open heart surgery on my webservice this week
    after a 1.1 upgrade. I've hit your site and it's currently about 2 minutes
    in without a response. Here are a couple things to check. If you are hitting
    some sort of database on the back end using oledb or odbc drivers you will
    need to remove all your references and delete the assembly from the bin. 1.1
    now has these assemblies in the framework and they are made available in the
    system.data.oledb/odbc namespace. They conflict and cause all sorts of grief
    if you leave them in there. Do a full rebuild on your project including all
    satellite assemblies. Hit the page from the server itself, ie-local then hit
    the page from outside. it should work.
    By the way, your webservice timed out.
    hth
    "Joseph Geretz" <com> wrote in message
    is
    is
    pages
    for
    in
    framework?

    Alvin Guest

  3. #3

    no i meant rebuilding your webservice project and redeploying it. when you
    upgrade to framework 1.1, iis is remapped to work off of 1.1 and not 1.0

    i'm not behind a firewall
    "Joseph Geretz" <com> wrote in message
    news:phx.gbl... [/ref]
    minutes

    > I just hit the site and it is up and running. Unfortunately, my web server
    > must run on port 81 since my service provider blocks access to port 80. If
    > you are behind a firewall which blocks access to nonstandard ports, you
    > won't be able to hit my site at all.
    > [/ref]
    will
    > 1.1
    >
    > I'm not doing any of this stuff.

    > all
    >
    > I guess you mean a full rebuild for framework 1.1? But I'm using the
    > original VS release for framework 1.0. Can I upgrade for free to 1.1?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > - Joe Geretz -
    > [/ref][/ref]
    noticed [/ref][/ref]
    button [/ref]
    > into [/ref]
    > now [/ref]
    > here's [/ref][/ref]
    not [/ref][/ref]
    not [/ref][/ref]
    not [/ref]
    > randomly [/ref][/ref]
    anyone
    > > pages [/ref][/ref]
    targetd [/ref][/ref]
    framework [/ref]
    > does
    > > framework? [/ref][/ref]
    are

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Alvin Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Alvin,

    I redeployed the entire application. Things just took a nasty turn for the
    worse. Now the entire site is broken. I've reproduced the error stack below.
    In an effort to address this I placed the ASPNET user into Administrators
    and Domain Administrators, but I still get this error. How can access be
    denied to an Administrator?

    Thanks

    - Joe Geretz -
    Server Error in '/FPSNow' Application.
    ----

    Access to the path "C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Tempor ary
    ASP.NET Files\fpsnow\44aff0e0\eb59b9a4\hash.web" is denied.

    Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccesception: Access to the path
    "C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Tempor ary ASP.NET
    Files\fpsnow\44aff0e0\eb59b9a4\hash.web" is denied.

    granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request identity.
    ASP.NET has a base process identity (typically {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or
    Network Service on IIS 6) that is used if the application is not
    impersonating. If the application is impersonating via <identity
    impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be the anonymous user (typically
    IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated request user.

    To grant ASP.NET write access to a file, right-click the file in Explorer,
    choose "Properties" and select the Security tab. Click "Add" to add the
    appropriate user or group. Highlight the ASP.NET account, and check the
    boxes for the desired access.

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:

    [UnauthorizedAccesception: Access to the path
    "C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Tempor ary ASP.NET
    Files\fpsnow\44aff0e0\eb59b9a4\hash.web" is denied.]
    System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str) +393
    System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access,
    FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean useAsync, String msgPath, Boolean
    bFromProxy) +888
    System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access,
    FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize) +44
    System.IO.StreamWriter.CreateFile(String path, Boolean append) +55
    System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding
    encoding, Int32 bufferSize) +49
    System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding
    encoding) +20

    System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.Writ ePreservedSpecialFilesComb
    inedHash(Int64 hash) +165
    System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.DoFi rstTimeInit(HttpContext
    context) +848

    System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.Ensu reFirstTimeInit(HttpContex
    t context) +98

    System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.GetP reservedAssemblyEntry(Http
    Context context, String virtualPath, Boolean fApplicationFile) +28
    System.Web.UI.TemplatePr.GetPrCacheItemFro mPreservedCompilation()
    +91
    System.Web.UI.TemplatePr.GetPrCacheItemInt ernal(Boolean
    fCreateIfNotFound) +148
    System.Web.UI.TemplatePr.GetPrCacheItemWit hNewConfigPath() +125
    System.Web.UI.TemplatePr.GetPrCacheItem() +87
    System.Web.UI.ApplicationFilePr.GetCompiledApp licationType(String
    inputFile, HttpContext context, ApplicationFilePr& pr) +171
    System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.CompileApplicati on(HttpContext context)
    +43
    System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.Init(HttpContext context) +485
    System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetApplicationIn stance(HttpContext
    context) +170
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(Http WorkerRequest wr) +414

    ----

    Version:1.1.4322.573

    "Alvin Bruney" <com> wrote in
    message news:%phx.gbl... [/ref]
    > minutes
    > >
    > > I just hit the site and it is up and running. Unfortunately, my web[/ref][/ref]
    server [/ref]
    If [/ref]
    > will [/ref][/ref]
    bin. [/ref][/ref]
    including

    > > I guess you mean a full rebuild for framework 1.1? But I'm using the
    > > original VS release for framework 1.0. Can I upgrade for free to 1.1?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > - Joe Geretz -
    > > [/ref]
    > noticed [/ref]
    > button
    > > into [/ref][/ref]
    and
    > > here's [/ref]
    > not [/ref]
    > not [/ref]
    > not
    > > randomly [/ref]
    > anyone [/ref][/ref]
    service [/ref]
    > targetd [/ref]
    > framework [/ref][/ref]
    1.1, [/ref]
    > are
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Joseph Guest

  5. #5

    Well, I finally fixed this.

    First of all, I used aspnet_regiis to roll back my web app to use framework
    1.0.

    Then, for whatever reason (and I'll take a closer look at this) I needed to
    add Everyone to be able to access
    WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\Temporary ASP.NET Files AND
    WINNT\Temp.

    (I wonder if anyone can explain why TWO Temp folders are needed to run an
    ASPX application? Who designed this? Some moron from the Microsoft Security
    group?)

    After fixing the problem with the security settings for the WINNT temp
    folder, I bet I could switch this back up to framework 1.1. But no point
    asking for trouble... Anyway, the site's back up and running now.

    Thanks for your help!

    - Joe Geretz -

    "Joseph Geretz" <com> wrote in message
    below.
    --
    or
    access,
    System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.Writ ePreservedSpecialFilesComb
    System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.DoFi rstTimeInit(HttpContext
    System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.Ensu reFirstTimeInit(HttpContex
    System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.GetP reservedAssemblyEntry(Http
    System.Web.UI.TemplatePr.GetPrCacheItemFro mPreservedCompilation()
    context)
    +414
    --
    ASP.NET [/ref]
    you
    > > minutes [/ref]
    > server [/ref][/ref]
    80. [/ref][/ref]
    you [/ref][/ref]
    you [/ref]
    > bin. [/ref]
    > including
    > > noticed
    > > button [/ref][/ref]
    (or [/ref]
    > and [/ref][/ref]
    However, [/ref][/ref]
    was [/ref][/ref]
    was [/ref][/ref]
    was
    > > anyone [/ref]
    > service
    > > targetd
    > > framework [/ref]
    > 1.1, [/ref][/ref]
    they

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Joseph Guest

  6. #6

    That wouldn't do it. you need to give the asp net worker process at least
    read access to the virtual directory from iis.

    "Joseph Geretz" <com> wrote in message
    below.
    --
    or
    access,
    System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.Writ ePreservedSpecialFilesComb
    System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.DoFi rstTimeInit(HttpContext
    System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.Ensu reFirstTimeInit(HttpContex
    System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.GetP reservedAssemblyEntry(Http
    System.Web.UI.TemplatePr.GetPrCacheItemFro mPreservedCompilation()
    context)
    +414
    --
    ASP.NET [/ref]
    you
    > > minutes [/ref]
    > server [/ref][/ref]
    80. [/ref][/ref]
    you [/ref][/ref]
    you [/ref]
    > bin. [/ref]
    > including
    > > noticed
    > > button [/ref][/ref]
    (or [/ref]
    > and [/ref][/ref]
    However, [/ref][/ref]
    was [/ref][/ref]
    was [/ref][/ref]
    was
    > > anyone [/ref]
    > service
    > > targetd
    > > framework [/ref]
    > 1.1, [/ref][/ref]
    they

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Alvin Guest

  7. #7

    Hi Alvin,

    Well first of all, the resource which can't be accessed is not the
    application IIS virtual directory. It's the application cache directory.
    Second, the ASPNET user (INTERNAL\ASPNET is in fact authorized to read/write
    files in this directory. So is SYSTEM. But unless I add Everyone with the
    same access rights, no dice.

    Same goes for the WINNT\Temp folder. This folder is not used for general
    application pages, but it is used when the webservice is called.

    Isn't INTERNAL\ASPNET the user credentials under which the application runs
    when accessed anonymously? I'm baffled.

    - Joe Geretz -

    "Alvin Bruney" <com> wrote in
    message news:%phx.gbl... [/ref]
    the
    > below. [/ref]
    Administrators

    > -- [/ref]
    path
    > or [/ref]
    Explorer, [/ref]
    the
    > access,
    > Boolean
    > access,
    >[/ref]
    System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.Writ ePreservedSpecialFilesComb
    > System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.DoFi rstTimeInit(HttpContext
    >[/ref]
    System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.Ensu reFirstTimeInit(HttpContex
    >[/ref]
    System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.GetP reservedAssemblyEntry(Http
    > System.Web.UI.TemplatePr.GetPrCacheItemFro mPreservedCompilation() [/ref]
    +125
    > context)
    > +414

    > --