Professional Web Applications Themes

Websnap Adaptive and Adaptive - Macromedia Fireworks

In exporting a gif from Fireworks, what is the difference between Websnap adaptive and adaptive? thanks Kirk...

  1. #1

    Default Websnap Adaptive and Adaptive

    In exporting a gif from Fireworks, what is the difference between Websnap adaptive and adaptive?

    thanks

    Kirk

    kirknetiq Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Websnap Adaptive and Adaptive

    Adaptive uses any colors with its 255 color palette. Websnap uses only
    websafe colors.

    I always use the former, rather than the latter.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "kirknetiq" <com> wrote in message
    adaptive and adaptive?

    Murray Guest

  3. #3

    "kirknetiq" com wrote:

    Did you try searching for "adaptive" in Fireworks' online help?
    Stéphane Guest

  4. #4

    Murray *TMM* wrote:

    Not quite. Adaptive uses only actual colors in the image up to the
    maximum of 255 and will drop colors if need be but won't change any of
    them. Websnap Adaptive will convert only colors that are close to Web
    safe equivalents but not necessarily all. I myself use the Exact
    setting most of the time. Supposed "Web Safe" colors were never really
    safe anyway...
    Stéphane Guest

  5. #5

    Stéphane Bergeron wrote:
     [/ref]

    Well.... I take my last post back... I had misread the docs ;-) You were
    right, WebSnap does convert all colors to their closest equivalent.
    Adaptive does use only colors actually present in the image but only up
    to 255 colors.

    Stéphane
    Stéphane Guest

  6. #6

    Stéphane:

    Yeah - that's really what I meant. It uses the colors in the image up to
    255.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Stéphane Bergeron" <com> wrote in message
    news:c00foi$o2v$macromedia.com... [/ref]

    > Well.... I take my last post back... I had misread the docs ;-) You were
    > right, WebSnap does convert all colors to their closest equivalent.
    > Adaptive does use only colors actually present in the image but only up
    > to 255 colors.
    >
    > Stéphane[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  7. #7

    Although I am not sure how it chooses which 255 it will use when there are
    more than that....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Murray *TMM*" <com> wrote in message
    news:c00hd5$qmj$macromedia.com... [/ref][/ref]
    only

    > > Well.... I take my last post back... I had misread the docs ;-) You were
    > > right, WebSnap does convert all colors to their closest equivalent.
    > > Adaptive does use only colors actually present in the image but only up
    > > to 255 colors.
    > >
    > > Stéphane[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  8. #8

    Murray *TMM* wrote:

    Probably by popularity. Least used colors get droped first. An image
    with so many colors would probably be best exported as JPEG anyway.
    Stéphane Guest

  9. #9

    Well, I think it's more than that because of the use of the word "adaptive".
    I think it has something to do with considerations similar to the jpeg
    algorithm, i.e., closely spaced colors with high intensity are merged or
    something like that....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Stéphane Bergeron" <com> wrote in message
    news:c00lgc$32i$macromedia.com... [/ref]
    are

    > Probably by popularity. Least used colors get droped first. An image
    > with so many colors would probably be best exported as JPEG anyway.[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  10. #10

    Murray *TMM* wrote:

    Maybe someone in the know from MM could shed some light? ;-)
    Stéphane Guest

  11. #11

    I'm waiting for Ilya or Linda to pop in. I just know that they will
    know.... 8)

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Stéphane Bergeron" <com> wrote in message
    news:c00mg5$4ur$macromedia.com... [/ref]
    "adaptive".

    > Maybe someone in the know from MM could shed some light? ;-)[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  12. #12

    In article <c00esu$mrd$macromedia.com>,
    "kirknetiq" com wrote:

    Adaptive: The most-used indices are retained, and the rest are converted
    to their nearest retained index.

    Websnap Adaptive: similar to Adaptive, except colors within a few (3?)
    grayscale steps of a "websafe" color from the 6x6x6 palette are
    converted ("snapped") to that index, which may open up more indices for
    non-safe colors, so fewer will be thrown away.

    The intended use of Websnap is when applying effects to objects filled
    with "safe" colors; bevels and shadows are allowed to deviate smoothly
    from the 6x6x6 palette, without dithering too badly.

    If you're having trouble preserving colors in Adaptive 256, it's worth
    trying Websnap 256--the few extra indices might make a difference.

    --
    Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
    http://www.hummingbirds.net/

  13. #13

    Lanny:

    Thanks! I just knew you'd know! 8)

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Lanny Chambers" <net> wrote in message

    > Adaptive: The most-used indices are retained, and the rest are converted
    > to their nearest retained index.
    >
    > Websnap Adaptive: similar to Adaptive, except colors within a few (3?)
    > grayscale steps of a "websafe" color from the 6x6x6 palette are
    > converted ("snapped") to that index, which may open up more indices for
    > non-safe colors, so fewer will be thrown away.
    >
    > The intended use of Websnap is when applying effects to objects filled
    > with "safe" colors; bevels and shadows are allowed to deviate smoothly
    > from the 6x6x6 palette, without dithering too badly.
    >
    > If you're having trouble preserving colors in Adaptive 256, it's worth
    > trying Websnap 256--the few extra indices might make a difference.
    >
    > --
    > Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
    > http://www.hummingbirds.net/[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  14. #14

    Murray *TMM* wrote:

    By popularity.

    Linda Rathgeber
    Design Aid: 10-Palette Pack for Fireworks & Flash
    http://www.webdevbiz.com/graphics.cfm
    Playing with Fire | http://www.playingwithfire.com
    Victoriana | Theme Pack 03 - Club | http://www.projectseven.com
    Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team