Professional Web Applications Themes

Weird problem AI renaming save files - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Just noticed that bizarrely enough, it opens versions previously saved in CS or earlier from the network, but not saved by itself. Hmmmm. Fun Fun Fun....

  1. #21

    Default Re: Weird problem AI renaming save files

    John_Crisp@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #22

    John, what happens if you save it as CS from CS2?
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #23

    John I agree with your "it's 2005 and not 1995"
    Shane - I am using Windows XP Pro with mapped network drives to a Windows Server.

    I hope Adobe get a fix for this soon. or we may have to go back to AI 10 on the 15 clients we have here.

    - James
    James_Buckroyd@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #24

    I recently posted a problem where I was losing text characters and strange substitutions were being made (9s for 2s) when I pdfd an Indesign doent w/linked Illy illustrations. This topic may be related but it is freaking bad if it is. Harron's reference to the Knowledgebase diti was distressing. Basically Adobe is saying if you need to create doents that have to be accessible to others ... well you can't. At least not reliably. We have 150 manuals, 1000s of illustrations that are stored on our network servers. I guess the good news is we (mostly me) haven't been using Illy but a little over a year.

    James- Just relax about Bert's sarcastic condescending tone. He truly can't help himself. It is a hard lesson I had to learn too.

    Hi Bert.

    Greg
    Gregory_M._Phillips@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #25

    A little more testing here has found strange things.

    here's the proccess step by step.

    1) new File
    2) add some content, boxes, fills, text etc
    3) Save File "test_illustrator_file_1000.ai" to permission free network drive.
    4) Using Windows explorer, go there and see if file exists. Confirm file exists as "test_illustrator_file_1000.ai"
    5) Switch back to Illustrator using Alt- Tab
    6) Make some changes to the artwork, move boxes around etc.
    7) File > Save
    8.) Using Windows explorer, go there and see if file exists hitting refresh. "test_illustrator_file_1000.ai" has gone, temp file called "test~I1.ai" is now there.
    9) Alt Tab back to Illustrator program.
    10) Window artwork is still titled as test_illustrator_file_1000.ai
    11) Make some changes
    12) File > Save
    13) Using Windows explorer, go there and see if file exists. Hit refresh. "test_illustrator_file_1000.ai" has now reappeared !!
    14) Alt Tab back to Illustrator program.
    15) Window artwork is still titled as test_illustrator_file_1000.ai
    16) Make some changes
    17) File > Save
    18) Explorer > "test_illustrator_file_1000.ai" has now GONE !! temp file now exists.
    19) Alt Tab back to Illustrator program.
    20) Window artwork is still titled as test_illustrator_file_1000.ai
    21) Make some changes
    22) File > Save
    23) Explorer > "test_illustrator_file_1000.ai" EXISTS!! temp file now gone.

    ??????

    So if I hit Save in multiples of 2, it seems to work......

    Can anyone else te this?
    James_Buckroyd@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #26

    Rick were you using CS2 ?
    James_Buckroyd@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #27

    James, I was unable to te your results. The file name always stayed
    the same and there was never a temp file created in the file folder. I did
    have temp files created in my local temp folder, which is to be expected.
    Also, if your truncated file names had a .ai extension then that's not a
    temp file. I'd suspect something is amiss with your network.

    --

    Rick Moore
    Barnes Gromatzky Kosarek Architects

    Rick Guest

  8. #28

    Yes

  9. #29

    Rick that is cool, that's the first report of successful saving to a network drive with CS2. Could you give me the specifics of your network/ server / op system that you are using with CS2?

    Thanks
    James_Buckroyd@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #30

    Win XP Pro SP2 desktop, Athlon64 3000, 1gig RAM, CS2 installed on boot
    drive, scratch disk pointing to large second drive, on-board nvidia 100 mbps
    network adapter
    Win2000 server, Dell Poweredge 1600sc, Xeon 2ghz with 1 gig RAM, we use a
    domain, IP assigned by DHCP

  11. #31

    Hello,

    Let me clear up some confusion. Illustrator should be able to open and save files across a network. What people are missing with that doent is that Adobe cannot guarantee that it will happen perfectly every single time. Nor could any software company, since there could be an interruption in network traffic at any time that could cause a read/write problem. The doent is a recommendation for workflow, that's all. Please, do not try to make it more.

    It is very possible we have a bug. That is why I am here asking some questions. I would like to try to reproduce this issue and try to get it addressed.

    So, if you are having this issue, please let me know what your workflow is. What kind of server are you saving to (windows, unix, mac, etc) and include as much detail as you can. I cannot recreate every network configuration out there so the more information I have the better we can find out what is going on.

    Thanks everyone!

    Shane
    Adobe Tech Support
    ShaneAdobeTS@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #32

    James,

    I wasn't able to recreate either. What options are you selecting in the first save dialog. I used the defaults.

    Thanks

  13. #33

    Version : Illustrator CS2
    FONT SUBSET = 100%
    Create PDF Compatible File = CHECKED
    Embed ICC Profiles = CHECKED
    Use Compression = CHECKED
    James_Buckroyd@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #34

    Hmmm...

    Do you have Norton or anything like that running? You are connecting to the server by using Windows right? (I know stupid question, but want to make sure)

    Shane
    ShaneAdobeTS@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #35

    We have Symantec's corp Antivirus running.

    I checked with our IT Support and got the following info.
    Server is a EMC Celarra running Red Hat Linux with an DART code to emulate a NT 4.0 FileServer. The DART code is similiar to Samba.

    We tried to reproduce using a 'real' Windows 2000 Server and the problem was not able to be reproduced. ( We only tried once ).

  16. #36

    new info......

    The problem only occurs on our system with AI files with names longer than 8 Characters...

    Does that help any?
    James_Buckroyd@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #37

    It does actually. My guess is that server is putting files in 8.3 format (like Windows does in the command prompt window)then back to long file format.

    I'll log a bug against this and see if we have a similar setup somewhere to test on. Engineering might have some ideas.

    At this point, I don't think I have a work around but will try to find one.

    John Crisp: Is your network configuration similar to James's?

  18. #38

    James, I having the same exact issue with CS2 Illustrator and InDesign as well. You're not alone. I posted this a few weeks ago, and did not get any replies:

    skott bennett - 10:53am May 10, 2005 Pacific

    Every doent I create with CS2 Illustrator and InDesign creates a duplicate file and locks the original file when I save or export. For example, if I create a doent and save it as "bambi.ai", the folder I save it into will now have "bambi.ai" and "bamb~1.ai". They are both the same size which is obviously wasting space on our network and to make matters even more frustrating, the original "bambi.ai" file no longer opens (I get an "unknown format cannot be opened" message), while this mystery duplicate file opens with no problem. Every duplicate file is ending with the "~1" and then the file extension. What is going on and how can I make it stop? Thanks.
    skott_bennett@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #39

    Shane, I tried this and it tells me there are no updates available.
    hgriffith@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #40

    Please check the following thread, it talks about that issue.

    <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128.3bbca86e>

    Shane
    Adobe TS
    ShaneAdobeTS@adobeforums.com Guest