Professional Web Applications Themes

Weird problem AI renaming save files - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I'm having this strange problem with Illustrator CS2 renaming files without my knowledge. For example, I will be working in a file and I will do a Save As and call it "james_doent.ai", I will continue working and using Ctrl+S to save. I will Close illustrator and go look for my file and it will be called "00301AA0.ai" and the james_doent.ai will not exist Why is it doing this? it's driving me crazy !! Any advice would be awesome. Thanks James PC with XP and AI CS2...

  1. #1

    Default Weird problem AI renaming save files

    James_Buckroyd@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Weird problem AI renaming save files

    new info, this only occurs when saving to a network directory.

    when saving to a local directory illustrator deletes the temp files it creates and saves the most recent with the user specified names.

    Anyone else have problems with this and saving to a network drive ?
    James_Buckroyd@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    James:

    First rule of Illustrator: NEVER SAVE TO A NETWORK DRIVE!

    Bert
    Bert Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks for the reply Bert, but for the past 2 years we have been saving to network drives using AI10 and everything has been ok.

    The tech support at Adobe are baffled by my findings, they too said save locally and copy to a network drive.
    James_Buckroyd@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    but for the past 2 years we have been saving to network drives using AI10
    and everything has been ok.

    ....ossifer, i'vvv bin driviving drunk azza skunk for 5 years now, and evvvrything hazzz bin ok...

    Just because you've been lucky, doesn't mean saving to a network is OK.
    Bert Guest

  6. #6

    James,

    What kind of server are you saving to?

    Shane
    Adobe Tech Support
    ShaneAdobeTS@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Bert - Thanks for the worthless contribution.

    Shane - I think it's a Novell server, I will have to 100% check.
    James_Buckroyd@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    James:

    Just illustrating your fallacious argument. You're welcome.

    Bert
    Bert Guest

  9. #9

    James,

    Don't listen to Bert. He's never any help. The guy's a total troll.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    maybe the way to go is only to save locally and never to save to network drives which makes file management a little harder.... for example we have 1200+ AI files which are used for production and manufacter purposes on a server that can be accessed from several manufacturing locations by designers, when designers save to the C drive of the machines and forget to copy the file to network drive we loose time and time is money. Also it seems like the more duplicate files there are ie one on some ones C drive and another on the network, there is more room for confusion as to revision etc.

    I can totally understand the local drive saving thing and how it solves some problems, but surely a software company writing code in 2005 can figure out a way to make their product save to network drives bug free and adobe do, no problems with Photoshop CS2 so far, just AI.

    user centric design, I think they call it.

    as for Bert, I would not mind if his comments were at all useful or productive but they are not, stating the obvious is somewhat .. hum.. how can I say obvious. if your gonna contribute then at least make it positive and purposeful.

    - james
    James_Buckroyd@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Sorry to be wasting more bandwidth, but I just want to redundantly and obviously point out the obvious:

    1. Never save to a network drive > Useful and productive advice. Obviously, you wouldn't have had the problems you were having if you had been doing this.

    2. Don't ignore warnings even if you haven't yet encountered the problem you were being cautioned about > Useful and productive advice. Obviously, you wouldn't have the problems you were having if you had been heeding this advice.

    Just because I say things in a possibly abrasive way, doesn't make them useless or redundant.

    Bert
    Bert Guest

  12. #12

    Bert, As a consumer why would my software not be able to save sucessfully to a network?

    Maybe we got luck with AI10, sure, but it seems a simple demand to be able to save to a network drive. One of the advantages of our network drives is that they automatically get backed up every night in case of hd crash etc.
    James_Buckroyd@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    James:

    It may not be the way you like (or the way I like) but it's a reality that needs to be dealt with. I agree it's broken, but that doesn't mean we can choose to ignore it just because we don't like the fact that it's broken.

    Bert
    Bert Guest

  14. #14

    James,

    This tech doc might be of interest:

    <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/327749.html>

    Bert is not making this stuff up.

    =-= Harron =-=
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    I never make stuff up.
    Bert Guest

  16. #16

    I agree it's broken also (at least in CS2, since it worked in AI10) It's not the fact that i'm ignoring it. I came on here for support and maybe ShaneTS knows a way around this or a fix for it which would help us out a lot.

    The tech guy I was speaking with on the phone today told me that CS should make invisible backup copies of AI files while you are working on the doent, also called temp files, which when you hit Save or close out of the window, the temp file gets saved and the file with the original name that you specified.

    Seems like in this saving to network case, somehow it forgets to save the latter part, the original name file.
    James_Buckroyd@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    I never said you do.

    {Whoops. Bumped.}
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Bert's one of the most dedicated regulars in here.

    Sheesh, the price of free support these days.
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Now now kids....

    James....How are you connecting to the server? Is the folder mapped to a drive letter, etc?

    I will test myself and see what happens.

    Thanks!

  20. #20

    Just reading this thread and have to comment.

    I used 8, 10 and CS saving to and from the network both with mapped drives and through Network Neighborhood. No problems. I use Windows 2000 and a linux server.

    CS2. No bloody chance at the minute. File opening errors - 'access denied'. IF I copy it to local disk, it opens fine. Most of my files are small - probably under 1mb. It's a joke. This 2005. Not 1995.

    Why should I be forced to save files locally and then move them to a server and then back as per

    <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/327749.html>

    How slow is that ? Besides, I'd rather lose some speed if I know that the file is written straight to my server which runs RAID / backup etc. My local hard disk is just a single disk without backup.

    As another correspondent pointed out, Photoshop et al do it quite happily. The whole thing about it being faster is a joke. Faster to save and open, yes. But faster to work on ? Make me laugh. The whole thing runs out of RAM / scratch. I would guess that the only time the actual file gets touched is when it is either Opened or Saved. Or least, I hope so. In which case, the only thing that would be slower would be the open/save times and NOT your normal work time.

    So IMHO they have a problem in their network / windows interface layers that they don't know how to fix at the minute. Don't you just love beta software :-)

    John
    John_Crisp@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast