Professional Web Applications Themes

Well, here goes.... - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

[snip] > be simpler, but right now I have a winmodem and so if I want to get on > the internet, I'd better keep it. [snip] [url]http://www.linmodems.org/[/url]...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Well, here goes....

    [snip]
    > be simpler, but right now I have a winmodem and so if I want to get on
    > the internet, I'd better keep it.
    [snip]

    [url]http://www.linmodems.org/[/url]
    Xyerp Guest

  2. #2

    Xyerp wrote:
    > [snip]
    >
    >>be simpler, but right now I have a winmodem and so if I want to get on
    >>the internet, I'd better keep it.
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > [url]http://www.linmodems.org/[/url]
    There's not much of a site there, or I can't make use of the information
    to apply it. It gives some good info, but it doesn't really tell what to
    do to make the thing work. I found Encore's site today (makers of the
    modem, it has intel chipset, its PCI, part number ENF656-EHW-INPR), and
    I mailed them a letter asking about support for Linux (maybe). I don't
    the outcome is looking to positive.
    Now I've got windows back, not be choice, it wanted to take over and
    format my reserved Linux partitions, what would have been /dev/hde5 and
    6 (for swap) got turned into D:\ and E:\. While installing, windows
    give you two choices about the mystery partitions: A.)Format as windows
    partitions and let windows manage them... or B.) Exit. (to a blank
    screen!) So I played along....filled up c:\ with micosoft-ish stuff...
    filled up drive D:\ with Slackware 9.0 install packages (sssshh! don't
    tell you-know-who!), left E:\ empty. Today I go back, and reset the hde5
    & 6 to Linux (83) and (82) types, respetively, and windows is none the
    wiser. I just rebooted win and all it does is just not report a D: thru
    E drive, and the CD-RW is now back to D:, instead of F: where it was a
    few minutes ago...So, this gets me thinking, if windows can't see it, it
    can't complain and go belly-up, so I should be able to now mount those 2
    'secret' partitions and format them for Linux, then install all those
    packages I had on the D:\ drive before that are now burned to a CD.
    Windows boots with nothing in the floppy drive, if I want to boot Linux,
    I should be able to just stick a bootdisk in the floppy and then mount
    the partitions. How feasible is this? It seems to be working, and as
    long as one OS or the other never tries to write cross-partition, which
    I can't see happening then I should be alright correct?
    And in the meantime, if I findout how to get my winmodem working, I
    won't need to dual-boot at all.

    jayjwa Guest

  3. #3

    jayjwa wrote:
    > Now I've got windows back, not be choice, it wanted to take over and
    > format my reserved Linux partitions, what would have been /dev/hde5 and
    > 6 (for swap) got turned into D:\ and E:\. While installing, windows
    > give you two choices about the mystery partitions: A.)Format as windows
    > partitions and let windows manage them... or B.) Exit. (to a blank
    > screen!) So I played along....filled up c:\ with micosoft-ish stuff...
    > filled up drive D:\ with Slackware 9.0 install packages (sssshh! don't
    > tell you-know-who!), left E:\ empty. Today I go back, and reset the hde5
    > & 6 to Linux (83) and (82) types, respetively, and windows is none the
    > wiser. I just rebooted win and all it does is just not report a D: thru
    > E drive, and the CD-RW is now back to D:, instead of F: where it was a
    > few minutes ago...So, this gets me thinking, if windows can't see it, it
    > can't complain and go belly-up, so I should be able to now mount those 2
    > 'secret' partitions and format them for Linux, then install all those
    > packages I had on the D:\ drive before that are now burned to a CD.
    > Windows boots with nothing in the floppy drive, if I want to boot Linux,
    > I should be able to just stick a bootdisk in the floppy and then mount
    > the partitions. How feasible is this? It seems to be working, and as
    > long as one OS or the other never tries to write cross-partition, which
    > I can't see happening then I should be alright correct?
    > And in the meantime, if I findout how to get my winmodem working, I
    > won't need to dual-boot at all.

    I hate to reply to myself but, after all this work I finally have my own
    Linux Slackware system! : ) I used the method above, with no
    bootloaders, now when I need to boot Linux I just put in my original
    boot floppy, and no floppy for windows. I've checked it out and it looks
    OK. There's so much I'll have to learn, I can't seem to do anything- it
    reminds me of the first times I was using msdos.
    All in all, not a bad install, the instructions where terrible if you
    ask me, but maybe that's because I've gotten spoiled with windows
    training wheels. Now where's that Linux doc project???......

    jayjwa Guest

  4. #4

    jayjwa <jayjwahotmail.com> wrote in message news:<vhcrnl9dvqtt63corp.supernews.com>...
    > jayjwa wrote:
    >
    > > Now I've got windows back, not be choice, it wanted to take over and
    > > format my reserved Linux partitions, what would have been /dev/hde5 and
    > > 6 (for swap) got turned into D:\ and E:\. While installing, windows
    > > give you two choices about the mystery partitions: A.)Format as windows
    > > partitions and let windows manage them... or B.) Exit. (to a blank
    > > screen!) So I played along....filled up c:\ with micosoft-ish stuff...
    > > filled up drive D:\ with Slackware 9.0 install packages (sssshh! don't
    > > tell you-know-who!), left E:\ empty. Today I go back, and reset the hde5
    > > & 6 to Linux (83) and (82) types, respetively, and windows is none the
    > > wiser. I just rebooted win and all it does is just not report a D: thru
    > > E drive, and the CD-RW is now back to D:, instead of F: where it was a
    > > few minutes ago...So, this gets me thinking, if windows can't see it, it
    > > can't complain and go belly-up, so I should be able to now mount those 2
    > > 'secret' partitions and format them for Linux, then install all those
    > > packages I had on the D:\ drive before that are now burned to a CD.
    > > Windows boots with nothing in the floppy drive, if I want to boot Linux,
    > > I should be able to just stick a bootdisk in the floppy and then mount
    > > the partitions. How feasible is this? It seems to be working, and as
    > > long as one OS or the other never tries to write cross-partition, which
    > > I can't see happening then I should be alright correct?
    > > And in the meantime, if I findout how to get my winmodem working, I
    > > won't need to dual-boot at all.
    > >

    > I hate to reply to myself but, after all this work I finally have my own
    > Linux Slackware system! : ) I used the method above, with no
    > bootloaders, now when I need to boot Linux I just put in my original
    > boot floppy, and no floppy for windows. I've checked it out and it looks
    > OK. There's so much I'll have to learn, I can't seem to do anything- it
    > reminds me of the first times I was using msdos.
    > All in all, not a bad install, the instructions where terrible if you
    > ask me, but maybe that's because I've gotten spoiled with windows
    > training wheels. Now where's that Linux doc project???......
    [url]http://www.tldp.com[/url]
    Xyerp Guest

  5. #5

    Xyerp wrote:

    > What part of
    > "
    > The FIRST step towards finding a Linux driver is identifying the
    > modem's CHIPSET. The scanModem tool will help you. The manufacturer
    > brand with model number are generally NOT informative in this regard.
    > Modems from a single manufacturer can have different chips. But your
    > doentation may have this critical information, so read it
    > carefully. For PCI card modems, a database can be searched. A broader
    > database is also available. Controller based modems utilize the
    > "standard" serial drivers, while the winmodems in most newer PCs and
    > laptops require their own drivers. General information on these issues
    > is available at the Linmodem-Howto. Only after your chipset has been
    > identified, should help on configuration & installation issues can be
    > sought from the mailing list [email]discusslinmodems.org[/email], with archives,
    > wherein discussions are many issues reside.
    > "
    >
    > Do you not understand?
    >
    > I guess you nearly understood some of it, as you mention you have an
    > Intel chipset.
    >
    > Did you then follow the instructions and go to the intel website?
    >
    > eg.
    > [url]http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?strOSs=39&strTypes=DRV&ProductI D=1057&OSFullName=Linux*&submit=Go%21[/url]
    >
    > ?
    >
    > You're going to need to help yourself a bit. There won't always be
    > someone there to hold your hand... Trust me - its not that difficult!
    OK, you seem to know so much about installing these modems. Do you
    have/or have installed of these modem under Slackware? I am well aware
    of the exact chipset used and all the other specs- I own it. FYI, the
    modem driver, supplied by the modem company's OWN site (not the place
    you mentioned), will compile (with many warnings- their code, not mine).
    Next it must be force-loaded into the kernal, after that, there's about
    12-15 other steps before you can even set the soft-link to the modem
    (dev/modem) device! Never mind actually using it, which requires an
    advanced doctorate in linux networking and developement...
    I fully understand that Linux is not a beginner's OS, and I'm no
    beginner (BS in CS at Rochester of Tech., I program C/C++ , 8086 asm, as
    well as write and maintain my own website (php&scriptol), FTP&Telnet
    services), so please do not talk down to me like I am some kind of idiot
    that refuses to do some work on his own. For one, the instuctions that
    come with this distrobution are worse than nonexistant, as many times
    they are just plain wrong. Much of the time (about 90%) the scripts and
    auto-config tools fail and simply quit, leaving you on your own to
    figure out what to do. Maybe it's this distro, maybe not, but I think
    that someone that can install a Slackware-Linux sys that dual-boots with
    windows, with the next to no help that the instructions/sites give is
    doing pretty good...
    I'll continue on, today I started to setup XFree86 and actually came
    here with (what most likely would have been ) a simple question (for
    someone that must have as much expience as yourself, compared with my 4
    days of Linux now), but now that I see "What part of....blah, blah,
    blah, don't you understand?!" is the standard response, I think I'd just
    rather learn on my own. It got my thru MS-DOS, WIN3.1,95,ME, UNIX and
    now it will get my thru Slackware Linux...

    -Jay

    jayjwa Guest

  6. #6

    [snip]

    Then why say "There's not much of a site there, or I can't make use of
    the information to apply it." ?

    If you don't means things, don't say them! I found the site to be more
    than adequate in helping me get my winmodem working.
    Xyerp Guest