Professional Web Applications Themes

Well I guess this might be goodbye... - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I guess this was a short-lived relationship. Illustrator CS simply has too many inherent problems for me to waste my companies time with. Simple processes have become a nightmare with this program. It is my belief that Adobe released this software in an insane hurry, because there is just too much jumping through hoops for this to be a productive tool. I'm sorry but, delete the prefs file and reboot, while not only is that NOT the answer to every stinking problem with this program, it's also an unacceptable waste of time in a work environment. With that all said, ...

  1. #1

    Default Well I guess this might be goodbye...

    I guess this was a short-lived relationship. Illustrator CS simply has too many inherent problems for me to waste my companies time with. Simple processes have become a nightmare with this program. It is my belief that Adobe released this software in an insane hurry, because there is just too much jumping through hoops for this to be a productive tool. I'm sorry but, delete the prefs file and reboot, while not only is that NOT the answer to every stinking problem with this program, it's also an unacceptable waste of time in a work environment.

    With that all said, does any have any suggestions as to a possible replacement for Illustrator? I need something primarily for magazine page layout and design. I usually design the various ads and such in Fireworks and import them into Illustrator as a JPEG only because I am very familiar with Fireworks. But I wouldn't mind making the ads in the native programs environment. Illustrator is just to much fighting for a simple task.
    Jason_Blakeney@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Well I guess this might be goodbye...

    Jason,

    if you don't like Illustrator please try other applications like Freehand, Canvas and even Draw and decide yourself if they run better for you. Check also Indesign, Quark or whatever as you mentioned page layout. But don't expect that you'll be familiar with them in a day, a week, a month…
    I've often met people who thought they could control Illustrator in a few days. What an exaggerated opinion of themselves…

    Kurt Gold
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    CorelDraw will make you VERY happy! I use both, but Illustrator has been relegated to a position of a compatibility app.

    CorelDraw has better vector tools than Illustrator, opens and converts to more formats than Illustrator, has multi-page support etc., etc. Can't lose.
    ID._Awe@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Jason,

    I've used Illustrator for many years, and true to its title, the illustration creation and manipulation capabilities of the program are what it does best. You CAN do page layout or photo manipulation in Illustrator, but that doesn't mean you should.

    It's a specialized tool that does specialized tasks, very well in my opinion. To echo Kurt, InDesign may be good for you to do your layouts, even though it to has a learning curve.

    -B
    Brian_Schlueter@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I will third that...InDesign is fantastic for page layout. If CS is a problem child for you, would reverting to v10 do you any good?

    Dean
    Dean Fritzel Guest

  6. #6

    For a single page layout, Illustrator is very cool, and for multipage stuff, InDesign is unbeatable. IMHO

    Now with that praise, there are still problems because people work with the actual product and not the feature list printed on the box.

    Granted I believe that any of the CS apps is the buggest yet, and I think it is a shame how Adobe lately is releasing software that doesn't really met a reasonable bug free enviorment.

    Adobe Photoshop Album, s
    Adobe Encore, limited beyound belief
    All CS is buggy

    And Adobe's answer? buy the upgrade.
    Malameel@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Yeah, you should try CorelDRAW. Then you will understood what "BUG" really means :)
    Sakis_Papademetriou@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    None of the CS programs have crashed so far for me, and Encore 1.01 works pretty well (unless you feed non AVI non MP2 footage that needs a complicated recode). Whether you use CD, FH, or IL or move to a dtp program (like ID, Quark, etc.) will depend on features, ease of use, and very importantly, the other programs that you may use. For me, that rules out CD and FH for most work. Think about where the vector images will be used. If you don't plan to use them in other programs, your decision will be simpler.
    Philo_Calhoun@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Yeah,

    we have had a few hassles with the cs package aswell. Ilustrator has an improved interface but seems much less sturdy and very problematic. We'll stick to illustrator 10 alongside corel 11 and photoshop 7. If you are an illustrator user trying to use corel, go to - options- Adobe illustrator and some of your shortcuts will work the same.
    Golive has proved to be a good all around web builder though. And In design seems to function well.
    emerson_ringrose@adobeforums.com Guest