Professional Web Applications Themes

What about paper? - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Up untill recently I used Epson "Premium Glossy Photo paper", I always found it too glossy but stuck with it untill I discovered Ilford "classic pearl paper". That one I like better, the paper is less shiny and not that thick either. Any body any ideas on choice of paper? Robert...

  1. #1

    Default What about paper?

    Up untill recently I used Epson "Premium Glossy Photo paper", I always found it too glossy but stuck with it untill I discovered Ilford "classic pearl paper". That one I like better, the paper is less shiny and not that thick either.

    Any body any ideas on choice of paper?

    Robert
    Schraven Robert Guest

  2. Moderated Post

    Default Re: What about paper?

    Removed by Administrator
    Jodi Frye Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    cookgreg Guest
    Moderated Post

  4. #4

    The choices of Epson papers or other papers is limited by which Epson printer you are using.
    I use the 2100 printer with the pigmented inks and the only paper I can use is a coated paper. With non coated papers the inks will stick to the rollers.
    The Ilford paper is very nice indeed, but the most wonderful paper is definitely the Hahnemühle fine art paper. Haven't used it yet, but saw it at the studio of a colleague.
    The Epson site offers more information about which paper combines best with your printer.

    Leen
    Leen Koper Guest

  5. #5

    With my current HP cp1700 as well as 1220cse and 895cse it worked well with
    all papers including Epson papers of different types. But remember HP is
    not the same type ink as Epson. Dye vs pigment.

    The only paper that requires a different setting than what you would expect
    is double sided glossy (brochure paper). A full glossy setting puts too
    much ink down for the double sided paper and bleed through is possible and
    even common so a normal setting produces the best results.

    Pete

    Pete D Guest

  6. #6

    Jodi,

    I have an epson Photo 1270 and started using the Epson premium glossy, but thought it way too shiny, although the pictures look impressive. Initially I thought you could get photo printer paper only from shops that sell digital equipment and that you can only get A4-size paper. I now find that the more traditional photoshops have a greater variety in choice and size. I then found the Ilford paper. I'm well pleased with it as the picture is less shiny; more silky. Ilford is compatible with a number of printers; I can't say that I my epson disagrees.
    I just bought a sampler pack from "the Digital Fine Art"(?). They offer different textures of paper like Linnen, creme coloured or aquarell paper. Like before digital printing paper will contribute to the effect of the picture.

    Robert
    Schraven Robert Guest

  7. #7

    I have a epson 1280 printer. 99.9% of the paper I used comes from one
    company. Check out [url]http://www.redrivercatalog.com/index.htm[/url] They have
    more types of paper than you could ever use. The prices are good.
    They are one of the few companies that when you call them, you get (a)
    a live person, and (b) a live person that knows the product.

    I have bought paper from them for the past 2-3 years with no
    complaints

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:35:40 -0700, "Schraven Robert"
    <rschravattglobal.net> wrote:
    >Up untill recently I used Epson "Premium Glossy Photo paper", I always found it too glossy but stuck with it untill I discovered Ilford "classic pearl paper". That one I like better, the paper is less shiny and not that thick either.
    >
    >Any body any ideas on choice of paper?
    >
    >Robert
    Stanley Guest

  8. #8

    Robert-
    I have the Epson 1280. So your Epson printer did or did not work with the llford paper? If it did, where can I find this paper? Has anyone tried the Epson Matte finish photo paper? I experimented with this as well and I'm probably nuts, however, I think the color turned out different on the matte finish.

    Greg
    cookgreg Guest

  9. #9

    Greg,

    The Epson worked well with the Ilford paper. I like the result better than with the Epson glossy paper. Ilford is compatible with Epson.

    You can get the paper from the old photoshops gone digital. That is where you would get the traditional ilford material. Otherwise try the web at ilford.com for a supplier near you.

    Robert
    Schraven Robert Guest

  10. #10

    Robert-
    Checked them out at ilford.com and judging by the looks of the site, I'm guessing it's probably a little more expensive than the Epson paper. I am willing to spend the extra couple if it's as good as you say though. My fiance' has some pics she wants printed for frame and I want the best quality possible.

    Greg
    cookgreg Guest

  11. #11

    Greg,

    The former photoshop now gone digital I went to was able to show me some sample images printed on paper from different producers. That way you can decide for yourself what you like and go for a conscious decision.

    I went for Ilford because of their reputation, the quality, the fact that they had non-glossy and the paper itself was not that thick like you would get otherwise, óh and they were the first ones I found to have A3 paper. I now know that virtually every producer has A3,even Epson. To be honest I have not yet looked at prices. Shows you how new I am in this game.

    Robert
    Schraven Robert Guest

  12. #12

    Robert,
    I've had my 1280 for about 8 months, and just figured out a month ago that I can print up to 13" x 44". I have some ideas I'd like to try out on that. I meant to look at that for the ilford paper as well.

    Susan,
    I've never owned a camera until about a year ago when I bought my digital (too impatient to wait for film (A.D.H.D. and all)). Anywho, I've been told that high gloss is what to use if you are going to encase your pic in a from with glass over it and Matte is better if you don't plan on doing this. Am I understanding this correctly?

    Greg
    cookgreg Guest

  13. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Dick Smith Guest
    Moderated Post

  14. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Chuck Snyder Guest
    Moderated Post

  15. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Stanley Guest
    Moderated Post

  16. #16

    Susan,

    Reminds me of my comic book collecting nephews. They use the acid free sleeves for their comic books to keep them from fading.

    Greg
    cookgreg Guest

  17. #17

    Susan,

    You mention storage of pictures in acid free sleeves. A few months ago I started with digital photography and got hooked it and on A3 prints. Not that I have many of them but I wonder where to put them all. I mean you can only frame so many and hang them in the hall way.

    Would you mind expanding on the acid free sleeves please as I am wondering whether I should get these for storing the few images I really, really like.

    Robert
    Schraven Robert Guest

  18. #18

    Cheers Lane (always wanted to do that for our english speakers),

    I will wait till monday, although if you can't get the sleeves in Holland then there is really no need is there?

    Robert
    Schraven Robert Guest

  19. #19

    Indeed, the pronounciation of "Lane" for Leen is correct. I'm not as lean as I used to be. ;-))

    Remember, the UK is part of the common market too. Ordering won't be a problem I suppose.

    Leen
    Leen Koper Guest

  20. #20

    I saw a recent reference to an interview with Henry Wilhelm who I understand is an expert with data on issues related to printing. You can find it here . Types of paper, dye vs. pigment, and the use of dilute cyan, magenta, and black in the newer 6 and 7 tank printers is there. He has some comments on stability and preservation of image in relationship to initial look that might interest some. I hope that some of you with more experience than I read that interview and then continue this discussion. I have a lot to learn.

    Thanks

    Carl

    edit: Barbara and Barb-How am I doing with the html you are trying to teach me. I like it.

    Carl
    carl sutherland Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast