Professional Web Applications Themes

What are your favorite tips? - Adobe Photoshop Elements

My current favourite is one I found a few days ago. It lightens up dark glasses ... at last I can do something with them. The original tip was: 1. Create a new layer, set blend mode to soft light 2. Paint the area to be lightened with gray Another was in Photoshop so I played around with it to see if I could do something in Elements ... the result is: 1. Copy layer, set blend mode to screen 2. Add a layer mask (one way or another), Fill with black ... 3. Paint with white on the black ...

  1. #1

    Default What are your favorite tips?

    My current favourite is one I found a few days ago. It lightens up dark glasses ... at last I can do something with them.

    The original tip was:

    1. Create a new layer, set blend mode to soft light

    2. Paint the area to be lightened with gray

    Another was in Photoshop so I played around with it to see if I could do something in Elements ... the result is:

    1. Copy layer, set blend mode to screen
    2. Add a layer mask (one way or another), Fill with black ...
    3. Paint with white on the black mask, using a soft brush and reduced opacity.

    It would be nice if this forum had a tips section as I'm sure that you all know lots of useful ones.

    So what are everyone elses favorite tips & tricks?

    Wendy
    Wendy_E_Williams@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: What are your favorite tips?

    My own personal tip is to check the forum before I attempt anything - then I know I'm doing it right :-)
    Ita_nais@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Pressing the alt/option key to change cancel to reset. Very useful with adjustment layers,etc.
    Mark_Reibman@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    tricks tricks tricks hmmm, too many. I guess a simple one off the top of my head...for lighting effects>add a brightness contrast adjustment layer and darken quite a bit and lower contrast then paint white on mask at different sizes/angles and opacities to brighten certain areas back up. ...most of you know that I do this too much ;) can't help it...i like the dramatic effect.
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Oh one more real good tip>>>>>Windex your screen before spending hours trying to get rid of that smudge of your kids face ;) Right Beth ?
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    That's pretty cool Jodi. For me, it's painting with the black to bring out the light.

    It's like painting with light. I like this one. Hey, you can give more than one tip if you want.
    Mark_Reibman@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Susan's the one who spent time trying to clone the smudge out. Unless Beth did it as well.
    Mark_Reibman@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    It certainly was Mark!....Good tip Jodi (the painting with light one - I knew about the other one already!)

    Susan S.
    Susan_S.@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Hmmmm what is my favourite tip. Spend extra time taking getting the
    photograph right in the first place because it is a whole lot easier dealing
    with a great photography than trying to save a less than steller image.

    g.

    Grant_Dixon@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Oh geeze, I just realized i ed up my tip...I meant paint black on the mask and not white....duh
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    * Use Richard Lynch's Hidden Elements tools
    * Use Richard Coencas' tip of holding down the Shift key when dragging a layer from one image to another in order to keep it centered
    * Use the Tab key to show and hide the palettes
    * Use Command-/Control-0 to fit as much of the image onscreen as possible
    * Don't bring up the topics of color matching or dpi/ppi on the forum ;-)
    * Join in Grant's Challenge to keep your skills up
    * Pull your head up from the screen and say 'hello' to your spouse or children or pets occasionally
    * Drag a layer to the post-it note thingy to duplicate the layer quickly
    * Never work on the original, always work on a duplicate file (you can also keep the original as an unchanged non-displayed layer on the bottom layer if you save in the PSD format)
    Lou_M@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    > So what are everyone elses favorite tips & tricks?

    TIP: Contrast masking.

    Ed

    Ed_Wurster@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    When sharpening an image, it's best to do it at 100% so you're looking at actual pixels, rather than something PSE has resampled for the monitor.
    On a PC, Ctrl-Alt-0 gives you 100%, then after sharpening, Ctrl-0 gives you the full image at max size to check the results. I use those two shortcuts all the time.
    Bert_Bigelow@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Can you give a little more detail on how you do this? I can't get it to work... Thank you!
    Sarah_Sweeney@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Ed,

    What is contrast masking?
    Mark_Reibman@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Sarah,
    Are you asking me or Ed?
    If you're asking me, when you have an image open, hold down the Ctrl and Alt keys and press the 0 key.(that's zero, not oh) The image should go to 100% magnification.
    Bert
    Bert_Bigelow@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    Until I joined this forum I hadn't had any contact with other people who use Elements ... so I haven't come across many tips at all. It is good finding out what other people do ... things that everyone else knows and take for granted seem like magic to me. So thanks for all the input, my tips book has taken on board some welcome additions and now I am off to try them out ....

    PS .... I too have tried to clone out a spot on the screen .... Sigh!!!
    Wendy_E_Williams@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    PS .... I too have tried to clone out a spot on the screen .... Sigh!!!

    So have I, Wendy.
    Bert_Bigelow@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Bert: Were you successful??

    :-)

    Chuck

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    Chuck,
    At first, I wasn't, but I kept at it and eventually through superior technique and purity of spirit, I was. <grin>
    Bert
    Bert_Bigelow@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast