Professional Web Applications Themes

What browsers correctly display this page? - Mac Networking

In article <0001HW.BB5DCC7F00C46843F0284600news.earthlink.ne t>, James L. Ryan <taliesinsoftmac.com> wrote: > I've just, under contract, developed a "splash page" for a website. > The page contains a "flash" (.swf) file referenced from a "normal" > (.html) file. [snip] I'd be interested in what browsers are found to > work and what are not. [snip] I don't have to look to know it won't work in my browser. I don't have Flash installed because it's usually used for fancy animated effects, and I simply cannot stand to have things moving around on my screen while I'm trying to read -- it's much ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: What browsers correctly display this page?

    In article <0001HW.BB5DCC7F00C46843F0284600news.earthlink.ne t>,
    James L. Ryan <taliesinsoftmac.com> wrote:
    > I've just, under contract, developed a "splash page" for a website.
    > The page contains a "flash" (.swf) file referenced from a "normal"
    > (.html) file. [snip] I'd be interested in what browsers are found to
    > work and what are not. [snip]
    I don't have to look to know it won't work in my browser. I don't have
    Flash installed because it's usually used for fancy animated effects,
    and I simply cannot stand to have things moving around on my screen
    while I'm trying to read -- it's much too distracting. Ditto for
    scrolling text marquees, animated GIFs, and blinking text.

    So you might want to consider providing a non-Flash option for people
    visiting the web site.
    Wayne C. Morris Guest

  2. #2

    James L. Ryan wrote:

    > [url]http://www.chiron-rising.com/[/url]
    >
    > If everything is working in a few seconds a clickable "Enter" will appear at
    > the bottom of the browser window. Clicking on that should take one on into
    > the site.
    >
    > Please be aware that this is an "adult" site and although there is nothing of
    > adult nature on the splash page under discussion there is adult content on
    > pages within the site.
    Shudder

    Well, it works in Mozilla 1.5b for OS X

    When you said 'adult' you should also have said 'slighly creepy' too.

    Shudder.. ick.

    Thom White Guest

  3. #3

    Wayne C. Morris wrote:
    >>I've just, under contract, developed a "splash page" for a website.
    >>The page contains a "flash" (.swf) file referenced from a "normal"
    >>(.html) file. [snip] I'd be interested in what browsers are found to
    >>work and what are not. [snip]
    >

    > I don't have to look to know it won't work in my browser. I don't have
    > Flash installed because it's usually used for fancy animated effects,
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    I was surprised you didn't use the term 'new fangled'

    Thom

    Thom White Guest

  4. #4

    James L. Ryan <taliesinsoftmac.com> writes:
    > Here is a URL
    >SNIP<
    Here's a copy of the page:
    CR Magazine -- formerly Chiron Rising

    [EMBED]

    I've never gotten beyond any splash page that made me wait for the whole
    thing. If they don't have a "click here to avoid" button, I'm gone to some
    other site.

    I'm sure, though, it will be wonderful for the intended audience. (Oh, note
    that the page doesn't work with Lynx, your original question.)
    Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip
    [url]http://www.PhilipStripling.com/[/url] | my domain is read daily.
    Phil Stripling Guest

  5. #5

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 12:39:49 -0400, Phil Stripling wrote
    (in message <3q3cg63k4q.fsfshell4.tdl.com>):
    > I've never gotten beyond any splash page that made me wait for the whole
    > thing. If they don't have a "click here to avoid" button, I'm gone to some
    > other site
    The "Enter" button at the bottom of the page is immediately active and will
    turn green as an indication that it can be clicked on at any time.

    -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

    James L. Ryan Guest

  6. #6

    In article <0001HW.BB5DCC7F00C46843F0284600news.earthlink.ne t>, James
    L. Ryan <taliesinsoftmac.com> wrote:
    > I've just, under contract, developed a "splash page" for a website. The page
    > contains a "flash" (.swf) file referenced from a "normal" (.html) file. The
    > page displays a number of images and has a single click point which transfers
    > the user to a different page. It seems that this page works in some browsers
    > (i.e., the latest versions of Safari and Internet Explorer) but not under
    > others, at least as reported, not under the default AOL (A-O Hell?) browser.
    > I'd be interested in what browsers are found to work and what are not. The
    > page was implemented using a combination of Adobe GoLive (for the .html) and
    > Adobe LiveMotion (for the .swf).
    >
    > Here is a URL
    >
    > [url]http://www.chiron-rising.com/[/url]

    I'm a huge fan of Flash. It is one of the most excellent developments
    for web interaction and the presentation of 'rich' content where the
    material demands it.

    However a 'splash page' that requires flash before reverting to
    ordinary html is one of the dumbest things you could possibly do.

    It wastes time and money for those who pay by the minute or by the
    megabyte respectively. (dialup and GPRS f'rinstance)

    Considering those with 'accessibility' needs and those of a
    curmudgeonly disposition, you have alienated a large proportion of your
    potential audience before they have clicked the one and only and
    therefore useless button on the page.

    See if you can persuade your client to get a clue. (After getting paid
    of course)

    If you *really* need Flash for some part of your customer's site, it is
    far better to have an HTML splash followed by some choice of Flash or
    vanilla further in.
    Elliott Roper Guest

  7. #7

    In comp.sys.mac.comm Elliott Roper <elliottyrl.co.uk> wrote:
    >In article <0001HW.BB5DCC7F00C46843F0284600news.earthlink.ne t>, James
    >L. Ryan <taliesinsoftmac.com> wrote:
    >> I've just, under contract, developed a "splash page" for a website. The page
    >> contains a "flash" (.swf) file referenced from a "normal" (.html) file. The
    >> page displays a number of images and has a single click point which transfers
    >> the user to a different page. It seems that this page works in some browsers
    >> (i.e., the latest versions of Safari and Internet Explorer) but not under
    >> others, at least as reported, not under the default AOL (A-O Hell?) browser.
    >> I'd be interested in what browsers are found to work and what are not. The
    >> page was implemented using a combination of Adobe GoLive (for the .html) and
    >> Adobe LiveMotion (for the .swf).
    >>
    >> Here is a URL
    >>
    >> [url]http://www.chiron-rising.com/[/url]
    >>
    >I'm a huge fan of Flash. It is one of the most excellent developments
    >for web interaction and the presentation of 'rich' content where the
    >material demands it.
    >However a 'splash page' that requires flash before reverting to
    >ordinary html is one of the dumbest things you could possibly do.
    >It wastes time and money for those who pay by the minute or by the
    >megabyte respectively. (dialup and GPRS f'rinstance)
    >Considering those with 'accessibility' needs and those of a
    >curmudgeonly disposition, you have alienated a large proportion of your
    >potential audience before they have clicked the one and only and
    >therefore useless button on the page.
    And the site is supposed to attract older men.. who are more
    likely to have physical problems, curmudgeonly attitudes, and
    less tolerance for slowness, anything they have to install etc.

    --
    [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: [url]http://aplawrence.com[/url]
    Get paid for writing about tech: [url]http://aplawrence.com/publish.html[/url]

  8. #8

    in article 120820032014423858%elliottyrl.co.uk, Elliott Roper at
    [email]elliottyrl.co.uk[/email] wrote on 8/12/03 2:14 PM:

    > I'm a huge fan of Flash. It is one of the most excellent developments
    > for web interaction and the presentation of 'rich' content where the
    > material demands it.
    >
    > However a 'splash page' that requires flash before reverting to
    > ordinary html is one of the dumbest things you could possibly do.
    >
    > It wastes time and money for those who pay by the minute or by the
    > megabyte respectively. (dialup and GPRS f'rinstance)
    >
    > Considering those with 'accessibility' needs and those of a
    > curmudgeonly disposition, you have alienated a large proportion of your
    > potential audience before they have clicked the one and only and
    > therefore useless button on the page.
    >
    > See if you can persuade your client to get a clue. (After getting paid
    > of course)
    >
    > If you *really* need Flash for some part of your customer's site, it is
    > far better to have an HTML splash followed by some choice of Flash or
    > vanilla further in.
    Is this the "same" Elliot Roper from yesteryear?
    If so, how are you doing you old digital editor?
    I miss the forums in EditDV/Cinestream.
    Good luck, guy!

    Galen Scott Guest

  9. #9

    In article <0001HW.BB5DCC7F00C46843F0284600news.earthlink.ne t>,
    James L. Ryan <taliesinsoftmac.com> wrote:
    > Here is a URL
    >
    > [url]http://www.chiron-rising.com/[/url]
    Well, the churlish view is that since the page contains 14 html errors,
    no browser displays it correctly.

    You've gotten most of the answer you really wanted, though.

    --John

    --
    Email to above address discarded by provider's server. Don't bother sending.
    John Baxter Guest