// embedControlOuterHTML.js embedControlLocation.outerHTML = ''; Excuse my ignorance, but wouldn't I need to have a js file in the same location as the html file called embedControlOuterHTML.js ? Or not? I'd like to use this, but don't know if this truly is *all* I need to change or not. Thanks, Mary [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => <444e8de4$0$36922$4fafbaef@reader3.news.tin.it> [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Mary [ip] => mthill@buckeye- [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 5 [islastshown] => 1 [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> What did I do? swf behavior - Macromedia Flash

What did I do? swf behavior - Macromedia Flash

I have a swf embedded in an html page. It worked great until I made a minor change this morning. Now when I hover over it, this message comes up: click to activate and use this control Before, you could move your cursor around the swf and click on the options you wanted to open, now it says this and when you do click, it opens a new page where you see just the swf movie and none of the html doc that should be around it. Anyone know what I changed without meaning to? A link to it is ...

  1. #1

    Default What did I do? swf behavior

    I have a swf embedded in an html page. It worked great until I made a minor
    change this morning. Now when I hover over it, this message comes up:
    click to activate and use this control
    Before, you could move your cursor around the swf and click on the options
    you wanted to open, now it says this and when you do click, it opens a new
    page where you see just the swf movie and none of the html doc that should
    be around it.

    Anyone know what I changed without meaning to? A link to it is here:
    http://www.dadecapital.com/direct.html You should be able to click on the
    different vendor types and the companies open in a list below it - on that
    page. That's how it functioned up until this morning when I turned one of
    the vendor logos into a button and added their URL.

    Thanks!!

    Mary

    Mary Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: What did I do? swf behavior

    "Mary" <com> ha scritto nel messaggio

    This is a result of the latest Internet Explorer update.

    Microsoft recently lost a legal battle with a patent holder about the
    way Internet Explorer displays OBJECTs and EMBEDs in webpages. Microsoft
    then decided to update its Internet Explorer browser with changes requiring
    user input to display and activate ActiveX based media.

    This affects all Flash animations but also other files such as
    QuickTime, RealPlayer, Java and Adobe Acrobat among others. It means users
    have to click the object first in order to activate its functions.

    Luckily, there are ways for website developers to modify their website
    so that the user experience is not impacted by Microsoft's changes. I have
    selected the easiest and most user-friendly option available at this time
    and have implemented this solution throughout this website.

    To read more about this issue and see other solutions available,
    please visit:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/ieupdate
    http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/activecontent/articles/devletter.html
    http://blog.deconcept.com/2005/12/15/internet-explorer-eolas-changes-and-the-flash-plugin/

    eg Guest

  3. #3

    This is the best site IMHO on the solutions to the problem. Its a one-stop
    show for what to do.

    http://activecontent.blogspot.com/

    The blog.deconcept.com site mentioned in the previous post is not terribly
    useful .. its mostly an 'ad' for flashobject (now called swfobject, I
    understand) .. that is probably one of the more complicated solutions to
    implement. It also isn't up to date re official fixes form Macromedia etc.
    --
    Jeckyl

    Jeckyl Guest

  4. #4

    Default THANKS! I appreciate the help...Re: What did I do? swf behavior

    "Jeckyl" <com> wrote in message

    Mary Guest

  5. #5

    "eg" <com> wrote in message
    news:444e8de4$0$36922$news.tin.it... [/ref]

    > This is a result of the latest Internet Explorer update.
    >
    > Microsoft recently lost a legal battle with a patent holder about the
    > way Internet Explorer displays OBJECTs and EMBEDs in webpages. Microsoft
    > then decided to update its Internet Explorer browser with changes
    > requiring user input to display and activate ActiveX based media.
    >
    > This affects all Flash animations but also other files such as
    > QuickTime, RealPlayer, Java and Adobe Acrobat among others. It means users
    > have to click the object first in order to activate its functions.
    >
    > Luckily, there are ways for website developers to modify their
    > website so that the user experience is not impacted by Microsoft's
    > changes. I have selected the easiest and most user-friendly option
    > available at this time and have implemented this solution throughout this
    > website.
    >
    > To read more about this issue and see other solutions available,
    > please visit:
    >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/ieupdate[/ref]

    This made more questions for me! From the MS page, it says:

    External script files can also modify an element's outerHTML property to
    achieve the same effect, as shown in the following example.
    <!-- HTML File -->
    <script src="embedControlOuterHTML.js"></script>
    // embedControlOuterHTML.js
    embedControlLocation.outerHTML = '<embed src="examplecontrol">';