Professional Web Applications Themes

What directories can be shared between multiple distributions on the same machine?? - Debian

If I want to install multiple distributions on one machine, there should be some parts that can be shared, such as SWAP, /tmp(if u made it a separate partition), but can we share /usr, /var? What should be done carefully to share them? thanks -- Zhao YouBing, Ph.D student State Key Lab of CAD&CG,Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, 310027, P.R.China Tel : 0571-87951045(O), 87933444(H) Email: [email]zhaoybcad.zju.edu.cn[/email] MSN : [email]zhaoyoubinghotmail.com[/email] -- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [email]debian-user-requestlists.debian.org[/email] with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [email]listmasterlists.debian.org[/email]...

  1. #1

    Default What directories can be shared between multiple distributions on the same machine??

    --
    Zhao YouBing, Ph.D student
    State Key Lab of CAD&CG,Zhejiang University,
    Hangzhou, 310027, P.R.China
    Tel : 0571-87951045(O), 87933444(H)
    Email: [email]zhaoybcad.zju.edu.cn[/email]
    MSN : [email]zhaoyoubinghotmail.com[/email]

    Zhao YouBing Guest

  2. #2

    Hallo Zhao YouBing <zhaoybcad.zju.edu.cn> [2003-07-07 12:31]:
    > If I want to install multiple distributions on one machine, there should
    > be some parts that can be shared,
    > such as SWAP, /tmp(if u made it a separate partition), but
    > can we share /usr, /var? What should be done carefully to share them?

    I assume:
    swap -- without problems
    usr -- I wouldn't since all distros make use of slightly different
    configurations
    etc -- dito
    home -- yes
    var -- with a lot of care due to "usr"-problematic
    dev -- depends on the various kernels, i.e. devfs <-> legacy devs

    In general:
    - where OS/distro-dependend stuff is in, rather not
    - user's data like home of course

    What do the other think?

    wbr,
    Lukas
    --
    Lukas Ruf | Wanna know anything about raw |
    <http://www.lpr.ch> | IP? <http://www.rawip.org> |

    Lukas Ruf Guest

  3. #3

    On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 12:37:18PM +0200, Lukas Ruf wrote:
    > Hallo Zhao YouBing <zhaoybcad.zju.edu.cn> [2003-07-07 12:31]:
    > > If I want to install multiple distributions on one machine, there should
    > > be some parts that can be shared,
    > > such as SWAP, /tmp(if u made it a separate partition), but
    > > can we share /usr, /var? What should be done carefully to share them?
    > >

    > I assume:
    > swap -- without problems
    > usr -- I wouldn't since all distros make use of slightly different
    > configurations
    > etc -- dito
    > home -- yes
    > var -- with a lot of care due to "usr"-problematic
    > dev -- depends on the various kernels, i.e. devfs <-> legacy devs
    >
    > In general:
    > - where OS/distro-dependend stuff is in, rather not
    > - user's data like home of course
    >
    > What do the other think?
    Basically, I agree with you. /home, /tmp and swap. Nothing more. You run
    the risk of either breaking or polluting different distros.

    David

    David Fokkema Guest

  4. #4

    So many distributions, it seems that the life will be easier if they can
    unite into one,
    anyway, there is only one breed of kernel.

    When u use some distributions u lost the freedom of using others.

    Though they almost have almost same contents, tiny difference in /usr
    and other directories made thost parts can't be shared, what a waste!!!!

    Maybe there should be only one Linux , just like FreeBSD.

  5. #5

    On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 07:47:45PM +0800, Zhao YouBing wrote:
    > So many distributions, it seems that the life will be easier if they can
    > unite into one,
    > anyway, there is only one breed of kernel.
    /me humms something about Debian GNU/hurd..

    ;)

    --
    hugh

    Hugh Saunders Guest

  6. #6

    On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 13:20:25 +0200
    David Fokkema <dfokkemaileos.nl> wrote:
    > On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 12:37:18PM +0200, Lukas Ruf wrote:
    >>
    >> I assume:
    >> swap -- without problems
    >> usr -- I wouldn't since all distros make use of slightly different
    >> configurations
    >> etc -- dito
    >> home -- yes
    >> var -- with a lot of care due to "usr"-problematic
    >> dev -- depends on the various kernels, i.e. devfs <-> legacy devs
    >>
    >> In general:
    >> - where OS/distro-dependend stuff is in, rather not
    >> - user's data like home of course
    >>
    >> What do the other think?
    >
    > Basically, I agree with you. /home, /tmp and swap. Nothing more. You run
    > the risk of either breaking or polluting different distros.
    I might imagine that there'd be others if you were aggressive about
    sub-partitioning. For example, if /var/mail were its own partition,
    mounted at either /var/mail or /var/spool/mail depending on what a
    particular distro did, I would think that'd work.

    -c

    --
    Chris Metzler [email]cmetzlerspeakeasy.snip-me.net[/email]
    (remove "snip-me." to email)

    Chris Metzler Guest

  7. #7

    * Zhao YouBing (zhaoybcad.zju.edu.cn) [030707 04:49]:
    > So many distributions, it seems that the life will be easier if they can
    > unite into one,
    > anyway, there is only one breed of kernel.
    >
    > When u use some distributions u lost the freedom of using others.
    >
    > Though they almost have almost same contents, tiny difference in /usr
    > and other directories made thost parts can't be shared, what a waste!!!!
    >
    > Maybe there should be only one Linux , just like FreeBSD.
    So just run one. If you're concerned about losing freedom (?) just run
    Debian! It doesn't get any Freer than that.

    good times,
    Vineet
    --
    [url]http://www.doorstop.net/[/url]