Professional Web Applications Themes

what distro for my router? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi NG! I've got a 486 dx2 w/ 32MB ram and 800MB HD that I would like to set up as a router. I've already tried with suse 7.3 which is obviously a bit long to load, but it still works like a charm with the 2.4.20 kernel. What it must be able to do is: - NAT - iptables - a good logging facility - rp-pppoe (ethernet dsl connection) What do you think is the best distro for it? Thanks Bernd Haller...

  1. #1

    Default what distro for my router?

    Hi NG!
    I've got a 486 dx2 w/ 32MB ram and 800MB HD that I would like to set
    up as a router. I've already tried with suse 7.3 which is obviously a
    bit long to load, but it still works like a charm with the 2.4.20
    kernel. What it must be able to do is:
    - NAT
    - iptables
    - a good logging facility
    - rp-pppoe (ethernet dsl connection)
    What do you think is the best distro for it?

    Thanks
    Bernd Haller
    0 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: what distro for my router?

    0 wrote:
    > Hi NG!
    > I've got a 486 dx2 w/ 32MB ram and 800MB HD that I would like to set
    > up as a router. I've already tried with suse 7.3 which is obviously a
    > bit long to load, but it still works like a charm with the 2.4.20
    > kernel. What it must be able to do is:
    > - NAT
    > - iptables
    > - a good logging facility
    > - rp-pppoe (ethernet dsl connection)
    > What do you think is the best distro for it?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Bernd Haller
    Slackware
    Slack gives you more control over what is installed than many of
    the other distros. You might even try some of the distros on a
    floppy.

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. [url]http://counter.li.org/[/url]

    David Guest

  3. #3

    In article <d106f634.0307210717.216e2ecdposting.google.com >, 0 wrote:
    > Hi NG!
    > I've got a 486 dx2 w/ 32MB ram and 800MB HD that I would like to set
    > up as a router. I've already tried with suse 7.3 which is obviously a
    > bit long to load, but it still works like a charm with the 2.4.20
    > kernel. What it must be able to do is:
    > - NAT
    > - iptables
    > - a good logging facility
    > - rp-pppoe (ethernet dsl connection)
    > What do you think is the best distro for it?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Bernd Haller
    Slackware (But that's just my biased opinion:-)
    ngc2419 Guest

  4. #4

    [email]stacko23my-deja.com[/email] (0) wrote in message news:<d106f634.0307210717.216e2ecdposting.google. com>...
    > Hi NG!
    > I've got a 486 dx2 w/ 32MB ram and 800MB HD that I would like to set
    > up as a router. I've already tried with suse 7.3 which is obviously a
    > bit long to load, but it still works like a charm with the 2.4.20
    > kernel. What it must be able to do is:
    > - NAT
    > - iptables
    > - a good logging facility
    > - rp-pppoe (ethernet dsl connection)
    > What do you think is the best distro for it?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Bernd Haller
    Not done it myself, but I remember seeing several distros specifically
    targetted for this use. Have you looked at router distros?
    Xyerp Guest

  5. #5

    "Xyerp" <Xyerphotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:3d7bc779.0307220156.3177581fposting.google.c om...
    > [email]stacko23my-deja.com[/email] (0) wrote in message
    news:<d106f634.0307210717.216e2ecdposting.google. com>...
    > > Hi NG!
    > > I've got a 486 dx2 w/ 32MB ram and 800MB HD that I would like to set
    > > up as a router. I've already tried with suse 7.3 which is obviously a
    > > bit long to load, but it still works like a charm with the 2.4.20
    > > kernel. What it must be able to do is:
    > > - NAT
    > > - iptables
    > > - a good logging facility
    > > - rp-pppoe (ethernet dsl connection)
    > > What do you think is the best distro for it?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Bernd Haller
    >
    > Not done it myself, but I remember seeing several distros specifically
    > targetted for this use. Have you looked at router distros?
    I've been pleased with floppyfw for this use. No HD needed, everything runs
    from ramdisk after the system boots from a floppy.

    JW

    Jacob Westenbach Guest

  6. #6

    > [url]http://www.ipcop.org[/url]

    Seems very interesting. Have you tried it?
    Bernd
    0 Guest

  7. #7

    "0" <stacko23my-deja.com> wrote in message
    news:d106f634.0307221108.3b648271posting.google.c om...
    > > Slackware
    > > Slack gives you more control over what is installed than many of
    > > the other distros. You might even try some of the distros on a
    > > floppy.
    >
    > Yes, I had already thought of floppy distros before, but I want to be
    > able to store the firewall logs, so floppies can't be that useful.
    >
    > Another important issue is that the router is not connected to an UPS
    > system. Therefore I'd like to reduce the probability of errors on the
    > filesystem after a power failure. AFAIK I should put / and /var on two
    > different partitions, mounting the former read-only and the latter rw.
    > Or is there a simpler/smarter/nicer alternative?
    Floppyfw permits log files to be sent to a designated system rather than
    writing them locally. This also gets you around the need for a UPS although
    units capable of supporting a minimal system are available for well below
    $100US these days.

    JW

    Jacob Westenbach Guest

  8. #8

    0 schrieb:
    > Hi NG!
    > I've got a 486 dx2 w/ 32MB ram and 800MB HD that I would like to set
    > up as a router. I've already tried with suse 7.3 which is obviously a
    > bit long to load, but it still works like a charm with the 2.4.20
    > kernel. What it must be able to do is:
    > - NAT
    > - iptables
    > - a good logging facility
    > - rp-pppoe (ethernet dsl connection)
    > What do you think is the best distro for it?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Bernd Haller
    If it is really only a router, use fli4l
    check out [url]www.fli4l.de[/url].

    grisu

    grisu Guest

  9. #9

    > If it is really only a router, use fli4l
    > check out [url]www.fli4l.de[/url].
    yes, but this one uses kernel 2.2.22, and iptables is *much* nicer ;)
    Bernd
    0 Guest

  10. #10

    > Floppyfw permits log files to be sent to a designated system rather than
    > writing them locally.
    No, I really want to store them locally. I'm a bit obsessed by
    security matters, I think tightening your box to the maximum is a fun
    game ;) Now seriously, sometimes there are no other machines running
    than the router, so this couldn't work.
    Still, do you know any alternative to partitionning the drive and
    mounting only /var rw ?
    > This also gets you around the need for a UPS although
    > units capable of supporting a minimal system are available for well below
    > $100US these days.
    The router itself cost me 0 euro ;) The ideal solution would be to be
    able to switch off the router whenever I want to, but I think we're
    far from it, aren't we?
    Bernd
    0 Guest

  11. #11

    0 wrote:
    >>Floppyfw permits log files to be sent to a designated system rather than
    >>writing them locally.
    >
    > No, I really want to store them locally. I'm a bit obsessed by
    > security matters, I think tightening your box to the maximum is a fun
    > game ;) Now seriously, sometimes there are no other machines running
    > than the router, so this couldn't work.
    > Still, do you know any alternative to partitionning the drive and
    > mounting only /var rw ?
    >

    >> This also gets you around the need for a UPS although
    >>units capable of supporting a minimal system are available for well below
    >>$100US these days.
    >
    > The router itself cost me 0 euro ;) The ideal solution would be to be
    > able to switch off the router whenever I want to, but I think we're
    > far from it, aren't we?
    > Bernd
    Use a bootable CD for all system files except the /var partition
    then make the hard drive /var and use a floppy for the
    firewall.config file.

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. [url]http://counter.li.org/[/url]
    Slackware 9.0 Kernel 2.4.21 i686 (GCC) 3.3
    Uptime: 6 days, 14:46, 1 user, load average: 2.28, 2.32, 2.34

    David Guest

  12. #12

    In article <d106f634.0307221112.21d9115dposting.google.com >, stacko23
    my-deja.com says...
    > > [url]http://www.ipcop.org[/url]
    >
    > Seems very interesting. Have you tried it?
    > Bernd

    I am running it for my ADSL connection on a P-200 MMX with 24 MB and a
    650 MB HDD; it really works like a charm, but be warned : this system -
    although THE best and most user-friendly Linux firewall / router distro
    - just will not run very well on anything under a Pentium-100 or so...

    Reason being, it uses a web-based interface with all off-the-net
    components, and under a 486 the interface is slooooooooooow...

    Like, really slow...

    On a P-200 it rocks though.

    Jeroen Geilman Guest

  13. #13

    Thanks people for your help!
    I think I'm going to try slackware out, because specialized distros
    don't give me exactly what I need, or would be too "consequent" for my
    tiny 486.
    Thanks again
    Bernd
    0 Guest

  14. #14

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 08:37:59 -0700, 0 wrote:
    > Thanks people for your help!
    > I think I'm going to try slackware out, because specialized distros
    > don't give me exactly what I need, or would be too "consequent" for my
    > tiny 486.
    > Thanks again
    > Bernd
    Hello,

    If you want to set up a router box, you should look at ASTARO.

    [url]http://www.astaro.com/[/url]

    There is a free license available for individual use. This distro
    is designed to be a very flexible firewall/router.

    cwight
    Charles Wight Guest

  15. #15

    NS> wrote:
    > [url]http://www.linuxrouter.org/[/url]
    It's too bad the author called it quits last month.

    --
    Matt H <nntpcox.net>
    Please note, this address is used to train my SPAM filters. Don't expect

    Matt H Guest